Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KDE laptop

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:06 AM

Thanks to pcpunk for posting this in the cheesemakers-linux corner topic.

Spanish company Slimbook has just announced a new range of KDE powered laptop called The KDE Slimbook. It will be running KDE Neon which means 100% fresh KDE experience.

More info here: https://itsfoss.com/slimbook-kde/

It's an interesting idea, and may introduce some people to KDE who would otherwise not have known of it. However, for as long as Linux laptops remain a niche market, the prices are likely to remain relatively high, so it would probably be more cost effective for folk who already know how to install Linux, to buy a Windows laptop and install Linux on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

True Al, but being a KDE User this just warmed my heart LOL, so just had to post it.  Wouldn't you love to get your hands on one just to see how it all works on that pc?  Yeah baby!  I feel folks are really missing out on the KDE Experience, but that's just me, a person whom uses KDE as their Main Distro for almost Two Yeas now.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

I'm not sure that it would end up being any different to installing the same operating system on a computer of similar specifications. Buying the laptop would just save the trouble of doing so, as far as I can tell.

KDE does have a certain "wow" factor as people who have tried it know, and while that's not for everyone, it might persuade some people who aren't interested in finding out how to install an operating system, to buy the laptop.

Edited by Al1000, 28 January 2017 - 03:01 PM.

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

Cool, but expensive. I think the biggest upside to buying a machine with Linux pre-installed is that you know it will work with your hardware.

Another Linux laptop.

https://itsfoss.com/pinebook-linux-notebook/

Discovered it from an advert on the Slimbook page. The pinebook is using an ARM cpu, which is part of why it's so cheap.

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

Another Linux laptop.

Discovered it from an advert on the Slimbook page. The pinebook is using an ARM cpu, which is part of why it's so cheap.

Now that, I could go for. Quad-core; 2 GB DDR2; 16 GB flash storage. Perfect for Pup!

(And Barry - God bless 'im - has already got an ARM build out. Hmm.....)  :thumbup2:

BTW: @Al:-

I agree about the 'wow' factor. I tried Kubuntu 14.04 back in my distro-hopping days. Quite liked it, but.....gawd, it didn't half use some resources up! My tastes are a wee bit more 'minimalist', these days.....despite liking a 'busy' desktop.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 28 January 2017 - 04:52 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

@Al1000, @pcpunk:

Thanks ever so much for the Cheesemakers link, pcpunk - I have bookmarked it for further review when it is released. And thanks Al for starting this Topic to allow further discussion.

I have half a dozen KDEs in my "stable", and I really enjoy exploring its capabilities.

I understand the comments about just saving on the slimbook and installing a KDE - but I note the enthusiasm shared by the interested parties in punk's link, of collaborating to make sure everything works fine with the Linux. It would be interesting to see a list published of what - hardware, software, firmware - steps they take or have taken to be sure everything meshes.

The fact that the Spaniards are already providing:

..Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE and Antergos...

.. indicates to me that they are likely investing a lot of time and effort into Linux, and may well have overcome a lot of obstacles, which would bode well for consumers prepared to embrace KDE.

Goodonem

Avagudweegend

:wizardball: Wizard

Edited by Al1000, 28 January 2017 - 08:28 PM.
remove unnecessary comment

#7 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

BTW: @Al:-

I agree about the 'wow' factor. I tried Kubuntu 14.04 back in my distro-hopping days. Quite liked it, but.....gawd, it didn't half use some resources up! My tastes are a wee bit more 'minimalist', these days.....despite liking a 'busy' desktop.

It does use a fair amount of RAM in comparison to most other distros. My Kubuntu 14.04 uses ~500MiB just to run the operating system itself. I expect that the KDE Neon that comes on this KDE laptop will use a fair bit more than that, as it's based on Ubuntu 16.04.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,099 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:37 AM

That laptop seems over priced to me,  The base model is worth $1000 AUD, I would rather buy a similar Windows machine for a few hundred less and install Kubuntu on it. And you get as a bonus.

PS

I once had Kubuntu using 1.6GiB of ram at idle.

Edited by NickAu, 29 January 2017 - 04:38 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:46 AM

Specs looks good on paper & in the article, though one thing to keep in mind, that the installed i7 (6500U) is not a quad core model, and a Turbo Boost of only 3.1GHz falls behind both of my 1st gen i7 notebooks (both at Turbo hits 3.46GHz). Though these are duals also, however also have a quad core Samsung (3rd gen) that hits 3.40Ghz in Turbo & has a 6MB L3 cache. 

So the notebook could stand a CPU upgrade to a higher performance Kaby Lake model, preferably quad core for the ultimate in performance. Also, no M.2 Gen 3 (nor any M.2) choice, only mSATA, and I can state from first hand experience, these runs hot. In fact, the only way I could tame the heat in my AMD build was to install the Crucial M550 mSATA SSD into a 2.5" SYBA adapter, then mount in a Rosewill 2.5" to 3.5" bracket with a small fan that's included (runs non-stop). This keep the mSATA temps in check with the rest of the drives in the system. Note that this method was first used in the Dell XPS 8700 I purchased it for, and around the same time, purchased a regular Crucial M550 for $20 less, and to this date, the 2.5" version runs faster (over 500MB/sec in both reads & writes). M.2 Gen 3 is today's choice for SSD performance, be it a PC or notebook. :)

CPU benchmarks & Intel lnk of the i7-6500U. 

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-6500U+%40+2.50GHz

https://ark.intel.com/products/88194/Intel-Core-i7-6500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

As seen in the Intel link, the OEM also cheaped out on the MB & RAM, the CPU capable of the latest DDR4, though on the supplied MB, it can't happen. :(

The most (& only) outstanding feature of the notebook is having USB 3.1. :thumbup2:

For $908 (in USD), this is an overpriced notebook as configured, one can get a discrete GPU, a MB that has DDR4 RAM & a M.2 Gen 3 port for that price, plus at least one full sized HDMI port w/4K UHD output, with some luck, also a Displayport connection for even faster graphics. As configured, it's worth maybe $600 at best. :)

In closing, it's too expensive to draw folks to whatever KDE version of Linux is installed, just as many other Linux specific vendors whom overcharges for their hardware. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:31 AM

That laptop seems over priced to me,  The base model is worth $1000 AUD, I would rather buy a similar Windows machine for a few hundred less and install Kubuntu on it. And you get as a bonus.

That's exactly what many mobile Linux users does, these Linux specific vendors charges Mac like prices for inferior hardware & are only shooting themselves in the foot by doing so by untold number of lost sales. When an OEM is moving computers, prices for components drops. 

If a PC, one can build two nice Linux desktops for the price of one of those, and for the same price, a well above average one. :)

Not to count, this is a not a proven brand in the business, first time I've heard of the name. If there's going to be mass distribution of Linux notebooks & PC's, a deal needs to be struck with the World's largest retailer in Walmart & price accordingly (if too high, they'll reject any deal). Yet that's exactly where many Chromebooks are distributed, as well as many $248 & up notebooks & PC's that runs Windows. Considering that Linux is free, that shaves over $100 off of the price tag, though the savings for the OEM will be greater, depending on how many licenses are purchased. 

As it stands, Dell has the best shot (in the US) at mass marketing KDE, it's a well known brand, and if one digs deep into their site, there'll be several Ubuntu notebooks discovered. Kubuntu is a Ubuntu flavor, so it would cost no more to distribute these on around $400 notebooks. While this may not at first be profitable, as more & more discovers KDE (& Linux), partnering with a major retailer will be a major step forward in gaining Linux usershare. Plus have some $249 models for Black Friday specials & ample stock so that everyone can have one. 

With no Windows license to fall back on, as well as no published drivers for the models, that would be a winner for the entire Linux community & can cause a huge loss of Windows usershare. Yet someone has to have the courage to step forward & break ties with Microsoft (the large OEM's are allowed only a small percentage of non-Windows computers for subsidies) to make it happen. It could be Dell (unlikely), IBM (more likely) or Samsung (unsure of). And they can't be fooling with eMMC SSD's (like Chromebooks), a 2.5" HDD will do, the user can install a SSD & clone it. Plus would be good to have a Recovery partition to load the OOTB condition (even on SSD). 

Someone can do this, the million dollar question is who has the guts & desire to do it? Compaq, which is now pure Walmart brand, often for Black Friday specials, would be a good & well known brand to distribute Kubuntu at a low cost, so it can be done. I've been saying this for the last 4-5 years, why run away from the largest retailer on the planet, if there's profit involved, Walmart wants in on it. They may want exclusive rights as a condition, yet that's OK, the OS is still free to download & install on most Windows computers. Unlike Windows 7 & 8.1, the Kaby Lake/Skylake restriction to Windows 10 doesn't apply to KDE (or non-Windows) OS's. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,756 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

Cool, but expensive. I think the biggest upside to buying a machine with Linux pre-installed is that you know it will work with your hardware.

Another Linux laptop.

True HF, you can be sure all will/should work like it is supposed to.

I really like the idea of this Pinebook! hmm, very interesting stuff.  Would be even cooler if they make these things with the most environmentally safe materials, and or recyclable (that may raise the cost though).  With the Pinebook, young children in a lower income home could afford to have one that the whole family could use if needed.

Of course, yes, but cool to see this exists.  And the OEM's an't going to piss off M.S. by shipping large quantities of Linux pc's to keep the cost down.  Lucky for us, we can do just as you suggest and buy a Windoz pc, toss Linux on there, and be done with it.  It's a better value to have both OS's anyhow, win win.   Or go to Dell.com and get you one of those.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

pcpunk said:-

I really like the idea of this Pinebook! hmm, very interesting stuff.  Would be even cooler if they make these things with the most environmentally safe materials, and or recyclable (that may raise the cost though).  With the Pinebook, young children in a lower income home could afford to have one that the whole family could use if needed.

I was thinking somewhat along the same lines myself, punk.

However, I like the look of the pi-Top (on that same page) even better..!

https://www.pi-top.com/

Now that really is minimalist.....yet, being based on the Raspberry Pi as it is, it'll continue to be upgradeable, given that successive generations of the Pi are all interchangeable with each other as regards physical dimensions. And everything just plugs in via USB leads, etc...

I'm now seriously considering one of those. Whack in Barry's new 'Quirky' ARM build, and it should be quite fun to play with.

The only thing putting me off is the cost; $299 at the mo (around GBP £240 presently). And you gotta build it yourself.....though that should be quite fun.

(*Now what can I do without for the next few months..? Hmm...*)

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 January 2017 - 06:35 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#13 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

Pretty cool someone else is making Linux laptops. System76 is another good one to buylinux pcs (ubuntu). If you want a wide range of different PCS xoticpc allows customization to thejaculate nth degree! You can even buy them without windows.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:02 AM

And the OEM's an't going to piss off M.S. by shipping large quantities of Linux pc's to keep the cost down.  Lucky for us, we can do just as you suggest and buy a Windoz pc, toss Linux on there, and be done with it.  It's a better value to have both OS's anyhow, win win.   Or go to Dell.com and get you one of those.

Oh yes they will, if a large OEM such as Dell starts to push Linux computers to the consumer markets in large numbers, their prices for Windows licenses will rise, and these corporations risk the loss of subsidies when computers aren't moving well. Because today's computers tend to last longer than 12-15 years ago, as well as have more advanced technologies, many will hold onto a computer for nearly a decade before purchasing another. There are still many original (pre-SP1) Windows 7 computers purchased at or shortly after the time of release for the OS and the original owners are still using these today, many have held onto W7, others have upgraded to 8.1 or 10. :)

These OEM's has agreements with Microsoft, and has to keep Windows units shipped above a certain percentage of their operations, or lose money. They may be allowed at best, 5-10% (if that much for the latter) for non-Windows units shipped. This is likely exactly why no large OEM has came forward & flooded Walmart with low cost Linux computers. Yet a company not associated with Microsoft can do so, and I've stated this many times over the last 3-4 years. Since Samsung is no longer selling Windows computers, they could make a fortune at the largest retailer in the World, yet must keep pricing reasonable & not go with crappy eMMC SSD's that are barely better than top line USB sticks, keep the 2.5" for notebooks & 3.5" for PC's, let the customer decide on a SSD. 

And throw some choice in there, notebook users may want a discrete NVIDIA GPU, since we're on the subject, that'll knock off (for now) any AMD based notebook sales with onboard graphics, not compatible with Ubuntu 16.04, and if one cannot install proprietary drivers, this poses a problem that may end up being permanent. Zen (or Xen, whatever) was originally due months ago, AMD is fiddle-faddling around looking for a way to at least for one week, outdo NVIDIA & win a few customers over. So for now, any notebooks must be Intel based. NVIDIA likely already had an ace up their sleeve, simply redo the GTX 10 series (1060,1070 & 1080) as Ti, adding power & more features. 

The bottom line is that some corporation must step up to the plate & initially be willing to eat a loss or just break even to deliver Linux to the masses, just as Steve Jobs did with Apple & Bill Gates did with Microsoft. There were other computers before Mac & Windows based ones, IBM has been around for decades, as has HP, before either brand of OS existed, running whatever OS was in tune with the times. Either of the two would had loved to have had the usershare within their first few dark years that Linux now has. Microsoft more so than Apple. 

It's time for another innovator to do the same with Linux, I'm sure that the World's largest retailer is all ears for price negotiation if there's a profit for them also and a value for their clientele. Trying to sell subpar hardware at Mac pricing simply isn't going to work & that's why System76 & other current Linux vendors will get nowhere until they change their way of doing business.

Cat

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,099 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:04 PM

The bottom line is that some corporation must step up to the plate & initially be willing to eat a loss or just break even

Shareholder Theory:
The GOAL of  businesses is to profit. Put simply, a business that does not profit will not be a business for very long.  

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users