Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help. Very Weird Issue with GPU Failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelQN

MichaelQN

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:14 PM

Going to give info then say step by step what happened.

PC is super old and it has a Geforce 7100GS and windows XP home.

First, it got this blue screen 49306c1ed2.jpg

So I replaced the nv4_disp.dll file, then downloaded new drivers. After this the PC was working 100% fine, until I restarted it. It then had weird pixellation issues popping up here and there, other than that. It ran fine. I then restarted it then selected it to run on "IGP" i believe to see if it was the GPU failing. IGP is on board graphics from my understanding. After this, I tried turning on the computer then it immediately just had a blank white screen, no cursor, nothing. Literally just a blank white screen. This was before bios and everything, nothing happened after either. Then later after restarting it a few times, now it just turns on for a few seconds, I hear the fans, then the fans slow down to a stop then I just hear a tiny fan(which I assume is the PSU fan, no CPU, or GPU fan is running I think) but the monitor or anything doesn't turn on, no BIOS appear or anything, just black screen. Although the mouse laser is on so the mouse has power. Wondering what the issue is here, anyone have any experience with this issue?

Also, I want to set it back to using the GPU in the PCIE slot, but I cant since the PC won't even boot after what I explained above. (Turns on, lights and fans, but fans slowly go to a stop after over a few seconds.)

All help is appreciated! Person who helps me solve this will not regret it :) If you have any questions I check this every 10-30 minutes. Thank you all, once again.

EDIT: The case is very weird/old, and can only take the top off, to just see the PSu and cables, so can't really see anything on the inside. I assume I can un screw everything to get the side panel off though.

Also, i build computers here and there, but seriously have never seen a case like this.

Edited by hamluis, 28 January 2017 - 07:32 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:50 AM

Id say take the thing apart and clean it for starters and see what happens, as well try to power the system up with minimum hardware once your done cleaning it.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:12 AM

IGP is Integrated Video Protocol, an old integrated mainboard video designation.

Try removing the video card, reset the CMOS back to factory default, and try to boot again. Hopefully your onboard video will kick in and let you boot.

Another common reason for the ...8e BSOD is memory problems; remove your memory sticks, gently wipe the contacts with a paper towel and a little alcohol, and reinsert them.

If you cannot access the components in the case, you have a big problem. There must be a way, the components could not be installed unless the factory could access the interior of the case. I will agree with you, sometimes the biggest challenge with these retail computers is figuring out how to open the darn thing up without tearing it to pieces. Most of the time is amounts to discovering where the snap tabs are; sometimes it necessitates removing the front panel first, then accessing the tabs that hold the side panel on. I also have had cases where the entire 3 sides of the case loosen and slide straight up or backward, leaving the exposed front panel, side mounting panel and bottom tray. It's a pain.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 MichaelQN

MichaelQN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

Id say take the thing apart and clean it for starters and see what happens, as well try to power the system up with minimum hardware once your done cleaning it.

I'm not sure this will be the issue, but will do it for troubleshooting! Thank you for taking the time to reply.

IGP is Integrated Video Protocol, an old integrated mainboard video designation.

Try removing the video card, reset the CMOS back to factory default, and try to boot again. Hopefully your onboard video will kick in and let you boot.

Another common reason for the ...8e BSOD is memory problems; remove your memory sticks, gently wipe the contacts with a paper towel and a little alcohol, and reinsert them.

If you cannot access the components in the case, you have a big problem. There must be a way, the components could not be installed unless the factory could access the interior of the case. I will agree with you, sometimes the biggest challenge with these retail computers is figuring out how to open the darn thing up without tearing it to pieces. Most of the time is amounts to discovering where the snap tabs are; sometimes it necessitates removing the front panel first, then accessing the tabs that hold the side panel on. I also have had cases where the entire 3 sides of the case loosen and slide straight up or backward, leaving the exposed front panel, side mounting panel and bottom tray. It's a pain.

Interesting about the IGP, just turned 18 and only been building PC's for 8 years, so had no idea what it was but assumed it was integrated graphics! But yes, after removing the top of the case there are two snap tab things for the front panel, I assume I take this off, then maybe the side panel will have a way to pull off afterwards. I will try all this when I start working on it. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

I really appreciate any input from anyone! Thank you all. Will reply with results later today. Worst case I need to keep the hard drives since it has important work on it and put them on another PC.

#5 MichaelQN

MichaelQN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

I believe it was a memory issue. Thank you all for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users