Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No desktop icons, no file properties

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kanga85

kanga85

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

Win10 home, on a desktop, installed as an online update to Win7.    Everything ran well for five months.   But now, suddenly,  I see NO ICONS on my desktop.   I have about 20 shortcuts, each with their correct file name, but no icons associated with the names.   If I click on the shortcut name, the expected program runs as expected.   However, when I right-click on the shortcut name and get the normal listing of available tasks; (copy to, ... rename, ....properties, etc), when I then click on 'properties' (e.g., to change an icon), I get nothing.   Not the normal box, no box, nothing, so it is impossible to change the icon.

If I open file explorer and right click on any file, and again click the 'properties', I again get nothing.   The properties of a file seem to have become broken from their name and from their shortcut, such that the name cannot see the icon.

I do have the word 'Desktop' on my lower left tool bar  (notification bar?), but this word has no icon associated with it.   If I click on this word 'Desktop' I get a listing of all the files and shortcuts on my desktop, but again no icons.

This problem occurs on both my and my wife's accounts, desktops and file explorers, but it does NOT occur in the Admin account, which shows normal icons and which gives the correct properties box to each file when opened up.

If I add a new shortcut to my account desktop, the process works except that I again get NO ICON, and cannot access the shortcut 'properties' of the new shortcut.

If I add a new user to the system, the desktop of the new user suffers the same problem - NO ICONS, and no properties available for any desktop shortcut.

No virus by Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware.   No difference if I boot in safe mode.

I downloaded and ran Unhide, but no improvement.   This may have been because I ran it when I was doing antivirus checks and therefore before I ran Unhide.   Unhide results pasted below.

I would be grateful for any help.   I do advise that I will be on holiday and away from the computer for a month until the end of February but any help will be acted upon on my return.

Thanks

Unhide by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
Copyright 2008-2017 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Unhide.exe can be found at this link:
  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html

Program started at: 01/21/2017 04:21:21 AM
Windows Version: Windows 8

Please be patient while your files are made visible again.

Processing the C:\ drive
Finished processing the C:\ drive. 233899 files processed.

Processing the D:\ drive
Finished processing the D:\ drive. 237149 files processed.

The D:\Users\Ray\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp\ folder does not exist!!
Unhide cannot restore your missing shortcuts!!
Please see this topic in order to learn how to restore default
Start Menu shortcuts: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html

Searching for Windows Registry changes made by FakeHDD rogues.
 - Checking HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer
  * NoActiveDesktopChanges policy was found and deleted!
 - Checking HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer
 - Checking HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\System
 - Checking HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\ActiveDesktop
 - Checking HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
  * Start_ShowPrinters was set to 0! It was set back to 1!
  * Start_ShowRun was set to 0! It was set back to 1!
  * Start_TrackProgs was set to 0! It was set back to 1!

Program finished at: 01/21/2017 04:23:29 AM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 2 minute(s), and 7 seconds(s)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kanga85

kanga85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:23 AM

My previous post seems to have raised no interest.   I finally solved my problem by reinstalling WIN10 - about a five hour job.

However yesterday, Win10 automatic updates, which I cannot switch off, have again removed all icons from the desktop.   As before, executable filenames remain, but the icons, and all there other properies are unavailable.   I've try all recommended simple solutions to no avail.   If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks 

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:30 AM

Perhaps this thread may give you some clues and ideas to try, there are several fixes listed by different posters there.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/13060-desktop-icons-have-disappeared.html

#4 kanga85

kanga85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:36 AM

Thanks Opera, I have tried all these things, but to no avail. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users