Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer - which security programs should I keep?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aer

aer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:02 PM

Hello,

Just bought a Dell inspiron 15 5000   My last laptop - HP I had some problems a while back with infections.  With the help of bleeping computer I was able to get my laptop back.  Now I am wondering if i should put all of the security programs on this one.  I have Norton Security running as the anti-virus.   My old computer had:

Malwarebytes anti malware  - I paid for the real time version and will be transferring that.

CC Cleaner

Wipe

System Ninja 

super anti-spyware

rkill

unhide

unchecky

speccy

I am trying to keep this computer as clean as I can but that seems like overkill!  

I also need advice on what bloatware to remove - not sure where to post that.   I also have to limit the start up items but I have forgotten which ones are important!  Obviously I am not a computer expert.  I just want this computer to run as efficiently as possible. 

Thank you

Ann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

Is this win 10 OS ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

Only Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware are real security programs. RKill and Unhide are specialized tools. RKill is really only needed if you cannot run your security tools. Unhide is an older tool created and designed for a very specific rogue anti-spyware family that was making the rounds several years ago so unless you're affected by that rogue it is not needed.

Unchecky is a program which is designed to automatically uncheck bundled software and unrelated offers, such as toolbars, potentially unwanted programs, offers to change your browser homepage or search engine. The program is more for average users who are not careful about reading prompts, messages, etc and accept all defaults when installing programs.

The rest are just useful utilities.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 aer

aer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:33 PM

Thank you!  Yes, it is Windows 10.   I don't want to transfer everything over - trying to be smart about it!  

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

CC Cleaner - keep for cleaning cache files when Firefox reaches 18,000+ cache files

how did you use System Ninja on the older computer?  I'm voting to let it not get onto the new computer.

super anti-spyware - good, however, maybe not as good as it once was?

unchecky - keep; Quietman7 said it best, this utility helps best during custom or advanced installs.

minitoolbox & speccy - great log-creators when having OS, operations, problems.

Edited by RolandJS, 28 January 2017 - 11:50 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 aer

aer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:57 PM

Any opinion on Wipe (privacyroot ) they have 4 different programs - one for startup etc.  I think it is similar to CC Cleaner so not sure I need both.  

I hardly used system ninja, it was one of the programs when I went through cleaning my laptop from a virus/infection.   I was told to run it once a week or so but I have to admit, I did not do that, I did run occasionally.   

Thank you again.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

I installed Wipe -- removed all checkmarks, I'll use it as one of my reporting tools, it will not be a cleaning tool, for me anyhow.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

I'd keep

ccleaner

Mbam

i'd add

spywareblaster

Antivirus of some sort Avast free is good.

MVP Hosts

For your browser

Avira browser safety

https everywhere

I run windows 10 with these no problem and my specs are low.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

OP said he was running Norton Security so avast or another solution is not necessary.

#10 aer

aer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:33 PM

I installed Wipe -- removed all checkmarks, I'll use it as one of my reporting tools, it will not be a cleaning tool, for me anyhow.

Is that just to check on your computer?   I am not sure I understand.  Is there any part of Wipe that looks useful?

So far it looks like agreement on MBAM and CC Cleaner.   Will I be ok with those plus Norton?

Getting used to the new computer and to Windows 10.  I am trying to transfer just what I need.  I wish that computers would have some common features - like the keyboards would all be the same!   It is so much faster but sometimes the Internet is very slow loading, I am told that is a Windows 10 problem.  

Thanks again!  

Ann

Thanks again!  

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

"I installed Wipe -- removed all checkmarks, I'll use it as one of my reporting tools, it will not be a cleaning tool, for me anyhow." - rjs

"...Is that just to check on your computer?   I am not sure I understand.  Is there any part of Wipe that looks useful?" - aer

That utility gives a lot of information -- files that can be safely deleted, or files that are simply good to know about.  It's basically a SlimmerTrimmer utility, which is why I only use as a reporting tool.  I do not believe in using SlimTrim/GoFaster utilities.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

Wipe removes junk files, browser cache, index.dat files, Internet cookies, autocomplete-history, temporary Internet files, etc similar to CCleaner. Neither are really security programs but they do help with erasing Inte rnet activity and protecting privacy. Wipe Pro offers a few additional features if your are willing to purchase it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users