Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Uploading File for Crash Diagnosis . . . ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MS Victim

MS Victim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

The HD w suspect OS on it is now accessible by usb from this machine. Repeated OS crashes, I don't know if virus, in fact strange behavior by mobo, so is it really hardware??

I thought I once saw way to upload logs for diagnosis, now all I see is virus/malware scan. Which is different, no? Should I use it?

Is it OK I need to point to usb HD, not the HD where DL is done?

Thanks.

Edited by MS Victim, 27 January 2017 - 06:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

Moved topic to Crashes/BSODs.

Please follow the guide reflected:  BC BSODs Posting Instructions - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ .

Louis

#3 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

What you are asking for is highly specialized help.  While waiting, you could be running chkdsk and maybe even doing malware scans of the suspect HD.

#4 MS Victim

MS Victim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:52 PM

Thanks both,but before I upload --

Absent any comment abt an aux drive being the subject I copied the DL to it, ran from there (drive F) and created the file. But is it the right file? I note it was saved in docs on C. Don't want anyone wasting time on record of my C drive. Should I have used move file, not copy?

Then the perfmon command balked when I simply added f: so I wouldn't be executing on C. Maybe I'm not doing syntax right. Does command work on aux drive?

Edited by MS Victim, 27 January 2017 - 11:53 PM.

#5 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:29 AM

Thanks both,but before I upload --

Absent any comment abt an aux drive being the subject I copied the DL to it, ran from there (drive F) and created the file. But is it the right file? I note it was saved in docs on C. Don't want anyone wasting time on record of my C drive. Should I have used move file, not copy?

Then the perfmon command balked when I simply added f: so I wouldn't be executing on C. Maybe I'm not doing syntax right. Does command work on aux drive?

My guess is probably not.  I've not actually worked with the BSOD logs but I've read threads about them.  There's at least one, maybe more, log files somewhere on the C: drive, probably in Windows or Windows\System, and more than likely the software you are using is simply reading those logs and then outputting an analysis.

That's all a guess. And, more than likely the software is intended to run from the system drive and not from a USB drive with the (old) system drive as a secondary (non-booting) drive.  You might tweak the software into looking for the scripts on a different drive.  Etc...  Again you need someone with specialized help and yet you may be waiting for that help when something else may identify and fix the problem.  voltages for example will cause all manner problems that look real exotic and hard-to-figure-out.  Intermittent problems, etc...  Heat and voltage issues are the #1 cause of system hangs, freezes, reboots, BSOD's, etc...

My very first computer, and my very first computer repair, happened on a computer that was given to me as payment for some work that I did.  I had never actually worked on a computer before and it's symptom, FOR MONTHS was constant reboots and hangs.  After MONTHS I discovered this odd little spot in the BIOS where you could tweak the voltages of the CPU and memory etc... and not knowing what I was doing I boosted the CPU core voltage from 3.3 to 3.6 volts and the machine ran solid as a rock.  It was an eye-opening experience.

The lesson is that 3.3 (or 4.8, or 11.7) volts might be "good enough" "most of the time" but sometimes it's not and things go wrong.  It's not digital, on or off, works or it doesn't.  Sometimes it's barely enough voltage, or almost enough voltage, which means it works well enough to boot, but it crashes the minute you run a video or play a game.  And frequently crashes cause system file corruption, which might be that while the hard drive was busy writing to a file the computer crashes and the HD Write never completes.  You  have one file that is updated and another is not, and the software things they both are updated.  Or whatever.  System file corruption can be anything.  Drivers, meaning your video card stops working, or .dll files so that certain functions of software work, while others don't.  Totally unpredictable.

Let's say your BSOD analysis says that your Java is causing repeated errors and hangs, so you uninstall and reinstall and everything seems to work, but you never find out that your PSU is only delivering 4.8 volts on the 12 volt rail, like what we just discovered in another thread just this week.  A bad PSU means that today it's Java and tomorrow Windows decides one morning it's not going to boot.  Ever.  Would you rather find and fix a symptom, or find and fix the primary cause of the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users