Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BlackSOD on start; no BIOS, Win. logo (on HP Pavilion MS200)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lemarche

lemarche

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

Hi,

I have been having on my PC the problem mentioned in this post title, since last week now...

Since I can't even check into BIOS, I have looked up written notes I had from when having problems with my PC earlier this year, and my BIOS is a Phoenix BIOS (v. 5.11, 28/8/2009).

With this information I checked that my PC should make a beep when starting up fine, and well, it doesn't anymore...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02222922

So basically, from what I read on the internet, my PC is not "POST"-ing.

So I am more and more inclined to think that this may be an hardware issue, either motherboard (mo-bo), or graphics card, which unfortunately, is integrated on this mo-bo.

The thing is I had been having heat issues with my PC since summer 2015... But I was not confortable /familiar at all with opening an all-in-one PC, esp. since I checked HP servicing guide for my model, and it does NOT recommend opening up the case ! Now I can tell this was complete non-sense (probably geared to people blowing up their PC after a few years and having to buy a new one !!!).

So this week, when finally confronted to a big problem, a Black Screen on start-up, I had no other choice than to finally try and open up my all-in-one PC (thanks to a youtube video tutorial from W. Quinn), and found out that the grid above the fan and leading to the heatsink and exterior of the PC was indeed clogged with dust (just like on the video of W. Quinn, who is also opening up a broken PC...).

_____

Just to make sure my Original Post (OP) is well understood, I want to stress out that:

- ALL "BSOD" abbreviations used in my OP are for BLACK Screen of Death;

- the only abbreviations used for BLUE Screen of Death are "BlueSOD".

The following is a detailed description of the events directly leading to my PC not starting anymore. I am no computer expert, but I am hoping it could guide experts of this forum to better pinpoint the issue...

BlackScreenOfDeath (BSOD from here on) started last week, on TUE. as follows:

Crash:
I get a BlueSOD crash dump, and then before it gets to the 100% mark for the dump, I get what seemed my 1st ever "crash during the crash dump"... the screen turns black straight after that, and the PC does not shut down/ restart as usual. When I press the start button to restart, I get my also 1st ever BSOD: no BIOS flash screen, no Windows logo...

On (1st):
Then after abt 1h30, PC starts again (1st restart after initial BSOD), without me having done much, except trying to start it every now and then w/ start button.

Crash:
After abt 30mn of PC on, while trying to back up data w/ Windows7 back up tool, crash dump again and then BSOD.

On (2nd):
Just after that, I read on my smartphone abt the trick of unplugging PC power plug, while pressing power button and it works, PC starts once again (2nd time).

BSOD on restart:
I choose SafeMode, and try again to make a back up w/ Windows7 back up tool, and realise it s not avalaible in SafeMode so I restart computer... But goes straight into BSOD once again...

On (3rd):
Again, abt 1h later, without me having done much, except reading abt BSOD on my smartphone and trying to start the PC every now and then w/ start button, PC starts again (3rd).

Crash:
30mn later, while trying to make a back up of data in normal mode w/ Windows7 back up tool, BlueSOD once again...

I decide CHKDSK is needed before anything else, in case I manage to start PC again...

On (4th):
Which I do, abt 30mn later. Not sure if dumb luck or if the trick of unplugging PC and pressing power button worked again... Run 1st SFC /SCANNOW for abt 30min (everything normal, just 1 "repairing" on CBS.log). I leave computer on for abt 5h while I work next to it. I switch it off to run CHKDSK on next boot... Fails to switch off, I switch off manually. On 1st try, PC fails to boot, on 2nd it boots fine and CHKDSK launches for abt 2h. I then try to run Windows7 back up tool twice, no BlueSOD this time but get a "0x80070001" error... End of day, tired, I switch off PC to try and solve on next day... PC switches off fine (does not lead to BSOD w/out shutting off completely).

WED:
PC starts fine in the morning on 1st boot.
Crash:
I try again Windows7 back up tool (still w/error mentionned above that I am trying to solve), and abt 1h after start up, it leads to a crash and BSOD.
On:
1st restart does not work (BSOD); 2nd restart works. I finally manage to solve error code for Windows7 back up tool (deleted all 17 of my "mounted folders" according to a MS support page), but then get straight another error code when trying to back up (0x80070539 in EventViewer for VSS)... I need to leave and switch off the PC (switches off fine).
BSOD:
On the evening however, when trying to reboot the PC, nothing... Leads straight to BSOD. I start to think it may have something to do w/ dust since I had heat problems this summer and PC would power off (but would always restart fine). Don't know if had to do w/ moving PC to check screws etc, abt 1h after 1st restart try, boots again. But it's late again, I switch it back off fine to go to bed.

THU:
Starts fine when I wake up... Me thinking "phew"... However, when I come back to it abt 45min later, PC gets a BlueSOD crash dump, then fails to properly shut down and leads to BSOD once again...

Since then, seems I have finally run out of luck: zip, 0, nothing, not on a single try have I managed to turn it back on. And when I say nothing I mean NOTHING: not a single blip on the screen, not a single BIOS flash screen (which I had set up to display on each computer boot), and of course... no Windows logo.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

My self i would replace the cpu and see what happens, if you let a cpu run hot or anything run hot and leave it like that for a long amounts of time you can end up with dead hardware and sometimes they don't 100% die but end up acting like what your talking about,moral of the story....keep a pc clean and dust free at lest on the heat sinks and the like and keep en eye on temps over time, if you let parts run hot things can end up broken.

Looking at this dousen't make me want to work on your computer though, looks like a real pain just like working on a laptop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el7qU4oTgYU

#3 lemarche

lemarche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:48 AM

Indeed @shadow_647. First time and last time it happens to me. Have learned a lesson.

I don't have a lot of experience with PCs, only had a laptop so far (and video game consoles when I was younger !). The laptop did not "die" on me, just got awfully slow after 5/7 years, and this MS200 was my first PC, and my first "all-in-one".

Actually, have taken off the case twice so far to look at mo-bo and clean up the fan, and I can say it is not all that bad !! So I recommend people owning a MS200 series (MS2xx and the likes, like MS215es) NOT to be scared by the prospect of opening it up !!! (all you really need is Phillips screwdrivers)

Thing is my problem could be a million things and am not sure where to start...

I have also seen this video (in spanish, sorry Trump ! haha) where just like on the W. Quinn tutorial, it deals specifically with a MS200 (hence with a Quanta "Capirona" mo-bo) with a dust problem; here the heat has led the integrated graphic chip to getting "un"-soldered from the mo-bo. The guy then uses a "heat-gun" to "re"-solder it ! Never knew this was even possible ! Calls it "reflow".

www.taringa.net/post/hazlo-tu-mismo/18899580/HP-Pavillion-MS200-NO-DA-VIDEO-Solucionalo.html

=> So I would be really interested in hearing from other people how they have resolved (theirs or others) MS200 Black Screen issues:

- related to heat problems maybe;

[ but since at this stage I can't be sure it comes from heat (since my all-in-one died during a peak winter month, January...) ]

- or related to any other type of issues.

#4 lemarche

lemarche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:29 AM

I would like to test first the PSU with a multimeter. 

However, since it is an "all-in-one", is it also possible to do so, like on a standard desktop?

www.lifewire.com/how-to-test-the-power-supply-in-computer-2626129

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:18 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download and run CPUID's HWMonitor to see what your voltages and temperatures are.  Take a screen shot of these and post this in your topic.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Your computer doesn't use a PSU like a conventional desktop would, it has a power adapter which converts the 110V AC line voltage to 18.5V DC.  You will need a multi-meter with a DC scale capable of read just a little over 20V DC.  The inside of the connector is the positive, the outside metal band is the negative.  Because your computer is able to boot into Windows and function for the most part I suspect that the problem is not with the adapter, but you can put your mind to rest by testing it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 lemarche

lemarche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, indeed have opened the case and there seems to be no PSU to test.

The power plug directly goes into the motherboard. 

When I switch it on, the PC seems to be wanting to boot:

- some noise, but not as loud as normal;

- fan is on;

- switch-on led next to power button of a normal green color;

but... nothing happens in the end, straight to black screen, without any BIOS splash screen.

The PC is an "all-in-one" HP Pavilion, of the "MS200" series, exact model "MS215es". Tech specs here (in sp.):

http://support.hp.com/es-es/document/c01891101#AbT0

I can't even access the BIOS, even less Windows, to run Speccy.

Maybe my title was not clear enough: "no BIOS, NO Win. logo", rather than just "no BIOS, Win. logo".

If it can help, I did run Speccy this summer and post the results on this forum about another problem.

www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/626929/restore-points-deleted-right-after-creation/#entry4085436

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

I see that you have a topic open at the HP Support forum.  Did you try using the instructions in the article that was suggested there?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 lemarche

lemarche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:27 PM

Yes, no luck with BIOS. Pressed the keys as suggested while blank screen, nothing happened. BIOS is not responding.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

There was a whole sequence of steps in this article.  Did you go through the motions of all of them to see if it would work?

#10 lemarche

lemarche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:11 PM

I went through these steps, for all-in-one:

HP PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 7) (includes all-in-one PCs)

and

HP and Compaq All-in-One and HP TouchSmart Desktop PCs - Screen is Blank after Starting the Computer

I have started to think that HP does not want to talk about the real problem:

the failure of the soldering of the video chip, which seems to be a common problem for HP and Compaq computers.

See my other post on this forum.

I am updating as my research advances:

- first thought it was a software /BIOS issue;

- then I though it was related to HDD (have had to run chkdsk so many times that I became a hammer: to a hammer, everything looks like a nail);

- then I started leaning towards mo-bo and video chip (wondered also about PSU but realized there is no PSU on this all-in-one... so again back to mo-bo), and more and more now as I have read about this known problem for HP and Compaq motherboards.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:17 PM

Did you go through all of the suggested repairs at the HP Support website.  I need to know what you have already tried and what of their suggestions you didn't.

#12 lemarche

lemarche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

I have posted the steps I have gone through, for the problems which correspond exactly to the symptoms /make I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users