Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer frying monitors?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 superman111

superman111

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

Hi.

When I power my computer on, I see text for 3 seconds and then the back light of the monitor turns off. Tried 2 different vga cables and 2 different monitors. Same results.  I then tried the 2 monitors on another computer and it looks like they're both fried (turn off after 3 seconds).  They were working before for sure.  Is the outlet, power supply, power cable, graphics card, or something else the problem?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

Testing for this could get expensive !

Since you have tried two different monitors and two different cables it strongly suggests that the fault lies in the computer and the first suspect would be your video card or video out if it is on-board graphics. It sounds like you have voltages on the output that you shouldn't have and the first step to testing this would be the use of a digital multi-meter. This is the pin-out for the standard 15 pin VGA socket and plug -

http://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15_pinout.shtml

Disconnect the VGA cable from the back of the computer and boot the computer. Then connect the ground or 0V lead from the meter to some part of the metal casing and test the voltages on each of the output 'holes' - all 15 of them - with the other probe. You will need to make up some quite fine tip for the probe to get inside each hole. Start on the DC range at a fairly low level, you should not find any DC voltage above about 1V. Once you have checked on DC switch to AC range and again you shouldn't find more than 0.7V on any hole according to the data given in the above link.

Any voltages significantly higher than this suggest a fault condition. I know my next step would be to fire up my oscilloscope but most of us don't have them, so . . .

If your video is a discrete video card I would remove it and check the voltages on the on-board video output if you have one. If these show fault levels thern it is probably a mobo problem in which case you face some expensive choices. If these voltages are OK then I might risk another monitor but I think I would check the PSU output voltages first, this will give you the pinout of the main connector and the specified voltages -

http://www.smps.us/power-connectors.html

If these test correct then connecting yet another monitor is about the only way to see if you have identified the problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 superman111

superman111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

Wow thanks for the response.  I'll try to get that done.

Edited by hamluis, 30 January 2017 - 12:43 PM.

#4 superman111

superman111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

UPDATE: Tested the VGA and one of the results was 5V!!!  Looks like we're going to get a low profile graphics card (since it was the mobo graphics having the 5v).  Thanks a ton for your help, Chris.

UPDATE 2: It's on warranty still!  Who knew buying used hardware would come with 3 year warranty?  Sweet!

Edited by superman111, 31 January 2017 - 01:44 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

Glad you have got a solution, and even better that it is under warranty !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users