Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows - BSOD: infinite loop - unable to restart

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vphs

vphs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

Hi,

My laptop got a BSOD, something about having to shut down because of an infinite loop. Startup repair was and still is unable to resolve any issues. When I started my laptop in safe mode i was able to start it up and I scanned my laptop for malware using malwarebytes' anti malware. (My avast antivirus was nowhere to find?) The report showed a few infections and some programs i might not want. I removed the infections and tried to turn on my laptop but now i'm not even able to start in safe mode.

What I see now:

- starting windows normally starts CHKDSK(i planned this when safe mode was still working) which gives no bad result. after which it restarts and hangs on a black screen after showing the windows logo.

- starting in safe mode starts loading the list of drivers, but hangs on amdkmpfd.sys (does this mean something is wrong with the graphics driver?) after which it goes to a black screen(like starting windows in normal mode).

Information:

- OS: WIndows 7(64x) Home Premium installed on a 128SSD, and another 500GB HDD just for my documents

- I have a windows 7 installation disk and a disk containing all drivers of my laptop.

- I read the post about creating a log so you could take a look at it, but i'm unable to as i can't start my pc. If you have an idea on how to create these logs in another way please point me that particular thread on how to do it/tell me what to do.

This is the report of Windows Startup repair before I removed the infections:

problem signature:

1) 6.1.7600.16385

2) 6.1.7600.16385

3) unknown

4) 21200021

5) AutoFailover

6) 6

7) CorruptAcl

I hope you can help me out. Thanks

PS: if not able to fix it, it would be ok to reinstall windows but I haven't done this yet.

Edited by vphs, 27 January 2017 - 11:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

I would suggest a full reinstall of your OS.

That CorruptACL means your Access Control Listing is severely corrupted. Whatever trojan or virus you got on your system was cunning enough to destroy that and messed with your video drivers and likely deleted your registry restore points. Even if you could repair all that you probably would continue to have severe problems due to registry damage that could not be repaired.

Be sure to get a retail copy (buy) a copy not download free virus suites. Those free trials & things have most of the features and real-time protection, heuristic scanning, e-mail scanning disabled and without it they are near useless depending on severity of the virus. They do not protect you from getting the virus in the first place. A TIP: A lot of times your internet service provider will have a deal with a software company that offers their clients a free full version copy. IE: Comcast (Xfinity) offers Norton 360 to all it's internet customers completely FREE. So I suggest checking with your ISP.

Furthermore, get a backup solution. Backup your OS to your secondary drive. Preferably a external usb drive. This will get your pc up and running in short time with already updated drivers, and everyday software you use without the heartache of hunting for all your drivers and going through MSFT updates again. Do it once make a full backup and never look back again.

Edited by technonymous, 27 January 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#3 vphs

vphs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Hi technonymous, thank you for taking the time to reply. If possible i would like to try to fix it before reinstalling my OS. If not, is there a thread/tutorial somewhere you would recommend on how to properly install a new OS.

The latest windows repair showed: corrupt volume instead of Corrupt Acl

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:10 AM

Sorry about late reply! Are you still in need of help? A corrupt volume and corrupt Acl and other corruption is also a sign that your hd is dead or close to it. It could still be because of a virus damage though. I think you need to scan the health of the drive first and determine how bad of shape it's in and if the drive needs replacement or not.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testing-programs-2626183

Try the first one listed there Seagates SeaTools for DOS. Report any errors that you have.

#5 vphs

vphs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

I followed your advice and did a full reinstall of Windows 7. Everything was going well until I started to install my graphics driver. I got in touch with the manufacturer to be sure of the correct driver but it still doesn't work.

When I start installing the AMD driver, everything goes well past halfway the process, the screen goes black and i see a flashing underscore at the top of my screen. Nothing changes after that, I have to shut down my laptop manually. Only thing i can do is to go in startup repair and go back to the restore point I created just before installing the driver. startup repair diagnostics gives the obvious "something probably went wrong after installing a driver".

PS: I'm following the correct order of installing the drivers.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:59 PM

What's the make and model of your laptop? Typically you want to get the driver from the manufacturer's website. You may have to get a newer driver from AMD.

Edited by technonymous, 03 February 2017 - 12:01 AM.

#7 vphs

vphs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:39 AM

I tried both the automatic driver installer from the AMD website, the old and the new driver from the manufacturers website. 

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:15 PM

This is a freshly formatted clean install from a legit Windows 7 disc right? If you restored from a backup it's possible that it is infected as well. I asked for model of the computer and you dodged that. So I can't be sure that you're downloading the exact model drivers 32/64bit etc. Some computers have to install older drivers first as .net and other MSFT updates have not been installed yet. Newer drivers and software may require .net 4.0 etc. If this virus was that damaging you really want to start from a clean slate anyways.

#9 vphs

vphs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:22 PM

I will answer your questions in the order you posted them:

- Yes it is a clean reinstall of a legit windows 7 disc(purchased it together with my laptop).

- sorry, I forgot to mention the model: P170EM BTO 17CL47

- I am sure of the drivers: I contacted the manufacturer to be sure of the correct driver. And yes it is 64bit.

- I followed the correct sequence of installing the drivers(as in the manual).

I can't install the old driver first and then install the new as it crashes while installing the old, forcing me to go back to the system restore point just before installing.

Installing the new driver also causes my pc to crash, forcing me to go back to the system restore point before installing.

Thank you for your patience

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

It this a Sager laptop? https://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php

If it is a Sager the drivers are here...https://www.sagernotebook.com/drivers.php?cat=558

This laptop can have a AMD Radeon 7970M, NVidia GTX680M, or Intel. So you need to be sure which one.

Is there a factory backup on the hard drive and did they provide any boot disk for that? Did you make any?

During install can you skip the video driver install and continue?

When you are forced to go back to restore point does the system boot?

During booting Does pressing F8 show any options? If so can you boot into safe mode? Also try last known configuration

Reset the bios to factory and then reinstall the OS.

You probably should take this thing to the shop and have them go through it. It sounds like multiple problems going on at once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users