Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Profiles In Win. Xp

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:52 AM

Hi All..
My computer is getting slow, so next to usual cleaning with Tune Up Utilities, I went trough Windows System Profiles and discovered that my User Profiles: Notorious\Admin are 645kb and Notoriuos\Notorious are 2.04 gig. in size.. :thumbsup:
Is this normal? And.. Would that be one of reasons for slugish preformance?
I was about to reinstall the Windows but before I do that I'd like to hear your opinion..

Thanx in advance.. :flowers:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:50 AM

The size may or may not affect your performance. More likely it's either an infection (if something has gotten by your protection package) or a lack of resources.

The lack of resources is usually caused by too many programs running at startup, too many unnecessary services running, and/or too many programs running - but this may be complicated by insufficient RAM and older system components.

So, please let us know the specifications of your system and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:53 AM

Hi Usasma.. :thumbsup:
Well I'm using Dell Dimension 4300 with Pentium IV 1.6 GHz and 512MB RAM. My operating system is Win. XP with SP2.
I don't think I'm infected because I'm running Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0, AdAware SE Pro, Spybt S&D, Spyware Blaster, XoftSpy, System Spyware Interrogator (Online scan). Next to it I run from time to time Ccleaner to clean usual crap, X-Cleaner, UnHackMe and HijackThis and all scans retourn negative.
In startup is only Kaspersky pack (KIS & AVP) but I see in The Ultimate troubleshooter 44 running services of 114 in total. Some services are set to manual and some disabled. (I did this with TUT's help)

I just went trough Royak Pot's Virtual memory optimization guide and increased my virtual memory's paging file to 512 MB but that didn't make my computer any faster. (of course not..)
I will however go trough Tweeking Companion ( I just downloaded it) and see what else could be done.
This is little crazy cause my daughter's putter is P III 500 MHz and run's faster than Dell.. :flowers:
I realize that it's real hard to analize the problem just by reading my story but if you think you can give me few tips, I'd greatly appreciate it..
Greetz, Phil.. :trumpet:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:38 AM

First, the system is a bit underpowered for todays applications - and 44 running services is a lot for only 512 mB of RAM. If you're not planning on upgrading the system anytime soon - I'd at least consider upgrading to 1 gB of RAM. Here's a link to the "configurator" that I use: http://www.crucial.com/ Just enter your system info and it will recommend the proper RAM for you.

Try this for a quick performance increase: Go to Start...Control Panel...System...Advanced tab...Performance Settings button...and click on the radio button to adjust for Best Performance.

And, as long as you're in there - click on the Advanced tab and then on the Change button in the Virtual Memory box. Then click on the "Custom" radio button - and enter 1500 in both of the boxes. This will adjust your pagefile to the recommended size - and will prevent resources being used to dynamically adjust it's size.

Next, go to Task Manager (right click on an empty spot on the task bar) and click on the processes tab. Let us know which processes consume the most memory (that's in the Mem Usage column) and we can work on them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:10 AM

Hi Usasma.. :) I'm sorry I completley missed your answer..
Ok here we go.. When I was adding RAM Iwas adviced in shop that my putter can accept maximum 512MB Ram.
Being an good obidient citizen :inlove: I took that advice. Since I have only two memory slots, I bought another 256MB chip and things were fine. But in time up till now, that thing got slower and slower. I got another computer (few of them actually for my professional work) but I also have bug in me that won't let me rest till I solve a problem, and that is the reason why I'm bothering you.. :thumbsup:

Ok.. I did everything you said, and now I'm in Task Manager's Preformance Tab and see that
firefox.exe is using the most of memory ( strange you would expect Kaspersky to do that)
firefox.exe CPU=00 Mem. Usage= 42,408K
svchost.exe CPU=00 Mem. Usage= 33,596K
MsMpEng.exe CPU=00 Mem.Usage= 13,996K
avp.exe CPU=00 Mem.Usage= 9,856K
DkService.exe CPU=00 Mem.Usage= 8,428K
spoolsv.exe CPU=00 Mem.Usage= 8'880K
Followed by rest of processes using anything from 332K to 6,016K.

Another thing that puzzles me is User Name in Task Manager. I see that User Name for Firefox, AVP, taskmgr and explorer.exe is Ghost while my first © system drive is is called Viking and second HD is called (D) Ghost.
And this brings along another question, I see that in Viking © drive-->Documents and Settings --> Ghost Folder is 3.38Gig in size. what got nothing to do with (D) Ghost drive wich is 57.2Gig in total and Used Space is 40.3Gig. :flowers: Are you as confused as me now?
What would happen if I delete 3.38Gig "Ghost" folder? (NOT (D) Ghost) :trumpet:
Again, Thanks for your answer.. :cool:
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:52 AM

Your process' memory consumption seems fine to me. My firefox.exe is using 186,000 K right now (2 open windows - 1 with about 20 tabs the other with 3 tabs).

Did the other things (before the Task Manager) do anything to solve your problem? If so, it'd be best to leave the processes alone for now.

The user name is the account that you're logged in under. You may have changed the name (at one point) from Ghost to Notorius - but the system still remembers the old name.

The Ghost folder (and the drive) probably contain images of your hard drive made with the Norton Ghost imaging program. If this is the case, deleting these files/folders will delete some of your Ghost images.

#7 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:48 PM

Yup.. Those Ghost images are probably leftovers from the time I had Norton installed.. (How come system remembers this after reformating?)
Wel.. Increasing the page file did some good, (I don't know how good yet cause I didn't test it on full load to get out of memory warning.) but I think clearing the preftech files I did earlyer did more.. I also think Windows defragmenter didn't do as good as Diskeeper Pro. Premier does. I'm defragmenting right now and man.. You'd have to see just how fragmented C drive is.. :thumbsup: Even I did regular check every now and then with Win. deframentation utility and it said defragmentation wasn't necessary..
I'll go on with more intensive tests when defragmentation finishes and let you know what the improvement is..
Thanks for your time.. I do appreciate it.. :flowers:
Posted Image

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:17 PM

First of all, since you have a slave hard drive placing your main paging file on the slave drive will improve performance and limit fragmentation of your main drive.

I would follow usasma's size recommendation for the page file size but leave a smaller one on your master drive (around 512mb because memory dumps will only write to the master drive. Windows will select the larger paging file for regular use and only use the smaller file for minidumps, etc.

You might try some of the diagnostics on the Dell Support page here:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=gen

Try the link for "Scan your pc for problems" in the left hand column and possibly the "One stop troubleshooting tool". I have never used these tools myself (because I do not have a Dell), but please let us know how they worked if you try them.

By the way, it is a myth that cleaning the prefetch files improves performance - it actually denigrates it!
The performance degradation will be, however, only temporary, as Windows will rebuild the prefetch files as you use it, but leave it alone from now on!

The "files" you see in prefetch are just a listing of files - not complete files, and give Windows directions as to which files you need and where to find them as Windows operates. Windows itself will clean excess prefetch files every three days and when they reach 128 files in size.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 September 2006 - 02:23 PM.

#9 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

Thanks Enthusiast.. :thumbsup:
I'll do it as soon as defragmentation is over. In the meanwhile I'm about to change it on this machine as well even this one is my "good" one and windows is managing virtual memory well. But still I didn't know about this and I thank you for it.. :flowers:
This is Pentium IV 3.00 GHz with 1.5 gig ram How much virtual memory do you recon I should asign to primary and secondary disk? :trumpet:
Posted Image

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

The page file on the primary disk should be about 512mbs because it will only be used for dumps.

With 1.5gb ram the setting on your active page file should be one and one half times the amount of ram - more if you use multiple programs that use significant system resources, especially those that run heavy graphics.

#11 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:54 PM

Yeah.. I'm running Photoshop on it with ton's of images open at the same time.. This is real good tip.. Thanks again.. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:19 PM

You are welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users