Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissy4269

Chrissy4269

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:18 AM

I have an old HP laptop from 2009 (G61-320US) that for some reason is not working correctly.  The computer boots up, but black screen.  No beeps, but power light remains on and you can tell fan is running.  I know a little about computers, but not that much :-).

-Have had a wacky battery for years now, that it needs to remain on charger at all times to boot up or keep running, so I think battery won't keep charge - but think battery and cable are OK for most part.
-Tried to reset BIOs doing the thing where you hold down the windows key and B, then power button, then release – nothing L
-Checked screen with bright light to see anything - nothing.
-Removed battery, held down power button for 3 min. to discharge any energy.
-Removed and reinserted RAM (and switched around slots – 4 different ways), tried starting each time, no success.
-I even cleaned the RAM slots and removed any dust (with bulb air blower I have).
  Made sure to not touch any contacts, etc.

-Ordered new RAM online yesterday to see if that will fix the problem, will try when it comes in.  Although I will feel guilty about spending the money if that does not fix the problem and it’s just a dead motherboard.

Basically, I wanted to know if there is any sure fire way to see if the motherboard is truly dead?  Is the motherboard even worth replacing considering the computer is so old?  Also, I am not sure if it is even worth having a technician look at the computer if the computer is so old, and maybe I should just get another one?  Sorry this is so long winded, hoping someone can point me in the right direction and/or maybe something I have not tried yet?  I have heard about using the oven to reflow the motherboard – but I am sure I would screw something up with that J.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

Hi Chrissy,

There is one thing you can try if you haven't already done so, and that's check / change the BIOS battery on the motherboard as this can sometimes give rise to this kind of problem.

Before it died a death, was the date/time always going way out over a short space of time of not being in use?

It does sound like your battery is dead though if it won't take a charge.

As it's old - it's probably DDR2 memory.

I also have a dead laptop (Acer) that won't turn on of about the same vintage as yours, and when I asked in the Acer forums about it, I ended up waiting for 3 days only to have someone come along and say, "Toss it." :( I didn't even bother to say thank you.

But the BIOS battery might be worth looking at.

Did this happen all of a sudden, or was it temperamental for a while beforehand?

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

Sounds dead to me and looking a used prices for what your laptop is i wouldn't lose sleep over the topic and just replace it, as well some how i doubt more ram will help your laptop but you never know.

If anything i would have taken it to a repair shop to check with other ram, they might have done it on the house with out charging you anything.

#4 Chrissy4269

Chrissy4269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

I used the computer for a little bit almost every day.  It did happen all of a sudden.  Still hemming and haling about it and might just look into getting another computer.  Just don't want to spend the money.  And a computer that I would really want, would at least cost $700 plus, but I'm dreaming :-)

Edited by Chrissy4269, 27 January 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

Well the laptop that died if i haven't missed my guess was worth like $100.

#6 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:33 AM

Sadly, it does sound like you need to invest in a new laptop.  It all depends on how much time you're prepared to spend on it (as well as, or instead of money).

You could try changing the CMOS battery and see if that rectifies it.

If you do decide to replace it, you can take the hard drive out and buy a USB enclosure for it.  Use it as an external backup drive.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users