Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking and bridging questions.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 biggman100

biggman100

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

I have searched for a week, and am extremely confused about some things, namely bridging. If i use an old modem/router i have, an Ubee DDW3611, and put it in bridge mode, then connect it to my CATV modem/router combo, what exactly does that do? Will it rebroadcast the WIFI, enhancing the signal, or will it only use the WIFI to receive a signal from my modem, or does it become strictly a switch/hub/router type deal? I cant connect the Ubee to my ISP supplied Arris modem/router wired, only through WIFI, since they will be in rooms that are way too far apart to run any kind of cabling. The simple reason i want to do this is to connect some older devices in another room, none of which have any way of connecting wirelessly, such as an older Xbox 360, and my daughters desktop, as well as possibly enhance WIFI signal in that part of the house. The options in the Ubee are routing with NAT enabled, Bridge, or routing with NAT disabled, and i really have no clue what any of that means.

My other question is, if i set up the Ubee in bridged mode, which i already tried, but had an issue with, how do i connect it to my network? My issue, after setting it up as a bridge, was that, after i finally found out how to get into it, i had no idea how to set it up, so that it worked with my modem. I got a screen that said enter the MAC address of my modem, and, i tried entering all 3 of the MAC ID's that show on my modem, but it just kept reloading the page, so, do i have to connect the bridge to the modem, then to my PC to set it, and if so, will the Ubee recognize my network that way?

After a week of searching, the only info i find literally confused me to no end.

Before anyone says it, i know i could just get a router, but, if i can make this work, i dont see any reason to buy a router just to connect those 2 devices, which may or may not be connected in 6 months. if it enhances the WIFI, that is just a bonus.

One last question though, since i keep reading things that conflict, is that, if i put it in bridge mode, will it be open to anyone, or, since i am assuming that it will have to have the network password, not just anyone can connect to it, but feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Thank you in advance for any advice you guys have.

Edited by biggman100, 27 January 2017 - 09:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

You would not bridge the ubee router since that involves bridging modem and router.  You can't use the modem side to do what you want.

Follow this article to set the ubee up as a wifi extension. 

http://www.techsupportforum.com/3001-connecting-additional-routers/

In a nutshell:

To manage it you assign it a static ip not in the first routers dhcp scope.  Say router 1 is using 192.168.0.1 you would set it as 192.168.0.2.  You turn off its dhcp server.  Set up the wifi.  Save the config. Then connect router1 lan port to ubee lan port

#3 biggman100

biggman100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:08 PM

I cant use this as a modem, because it cant be activated by my ISP, since they dont allow 2 modems on the same network, which i would have to do. I got it when my ISP upgraded that to the Arris i have now. They just told me to keep it, since i had had it already 3 years, and they werent going to be reusing it, just tossing it out. 

"To manage it you assign it a static ip not in the first routers dhcp scope.  Say router 1 is using 192.168.0.1 you would set it as 192.168.0.2.  You turn off its dhcp server.  Set up the wifi.  Save the config. Then connect router1 lan port to ubee lan port"

This configuration wont work for what i am doing, because to connect an ethernet cable from the Arris to the Ubee, i would have to run a cable almost 80 feet, drill through a minimum of 6 walls, and have the cable just ran across the floor of multiple rooms, since there is no access under my house to run it through the floor, hence why i am trying to use it as a bridge, because the tech from my ISP said that as a bridge, it would connect to my modem through WIFI. The only issue with that is that he couldnt show me how to set it up, since my ISP doesnt allow their techs to do that, in case something goes wrong.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

Apples and oranges.  Bridging and Wireless Bridging or Wireless Repeater(ing) a wireless signal is what you want to do.

You can't use that equipment for that.  Perhaps there is a dd-wrt firmware that can provide that feature set.

Google the underlined items above for more info/equipment to buy.  Also consider Power Line Networking equipment

Edited by Wand3r3r, 27 January 2017 - 11:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users