Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD my passport

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:56 AM

I have a WD my passport 4TB when I connect it to my laptop it appears under my computer as a CD drive F, but when I try to open it I get an error message saying "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". I downloaded and tried to update the firmware and it said it was up to date. I'm not sure what to do from here? If it is encrypted do I have to do anything special to open it?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:09 AM

Some WDs include firmware to include a virtual CD when attached. Open Computer. Do you see any other drive letter besides F: when the drive is attached?

What is the OS?

#3 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

Yes it shows my local drive "C" my reserve drive "E" and my DVD RW drive "D". I'm running Windows 7 on my laptop and I'm not sure what the external drive is running?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

The WD would not have an OS

What I meant to ask is if you attach the WD to the computer with the Computer window open you do not see your WD external pop up, correct?

With the WD drive attached look in Device Manager. Is there anything mentioning Virtual under your DVD/CD drives?

Do you have a spare cable to attach the WD external?

Have you tried on all USB ports?

Is the WD drive detected in Safe Mode?

With the drive attached open a command prompt and type the following

diskpart

list disk  

list volume  

Post the output of list disk and list volume. You can copy and past by right clicking clicking the little monitor icon in the upper left menu bar and selecting Edit >Select All. 

Right click again and select Edit>Copy. Paste into your next post.

#5 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

The wd does show under my computer, my problem is that it wont allow me to open it. I get the error message as listed above?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

Have you tried a different cable and USB port. Does this WD drive have the same error on another computer? This could be a sign the disk and or the USB bridge card has failed. Unfortunately WDs sometime integrate the USB bridge card with the drive's PCB and solder the micro USB connector to the PCB making it impossible to use an enclosure or USB adapter. 

Another option is to boot a live linux disk and see if it can mount the disk where Windows failed. You can burn an iso of fatdog64. Boot the disk and at the fatdog desktop attach the WD drive. A USB icon should appear on the desktop next to the sdax partition icons. Click once on it and if fatdog can mount the drive a File Manager Window will open.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-710.iso

I would first try a new cable on the WD drive.

#7 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

I only have the one USB port, but I've tried other cables and I don't have another computer to try it on. It's not that important to save the data on the drive I was more trying to just wipe the drive clean and start fresh. Is there some sort of program I can use to do this?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

On the very outside chance this could be a Windows problem and not hardware which I highly doubt you may be able to wipe and format the drive with a live linux disk.

Download UBCD. Burn the iso to a CD or DVD. Boot the disk and at the menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic Desktop attach your WD drive. Does a USB icon appear next to your sdx hard drive partition icons? If not then click on the monitor icon with the >_ at the left to open a terminal and type

fdisk -l     This is all lower case and it's a lower case "L" and not a one.

post the output.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

Everybody, hold on a second, did this WD Passport use Smartware and DriveUnlock previously?  If so, the Smartware and DriveUnlock settings and environs must be replicated perfectly in order to see this WD Passport.   That's what I understand from Jumanji over in sevenforums.com -- if I miss-understand, sevenforums' Jumanji posts can be searched and ReRead and please tell me where I understand incorrectly.

Edited by RolandJS, 29 January 2017 - 09:49 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:20 PM

I have no idea if smartware and drive unlock were used previously? The WD was given to me so I'm just trying to make it usable. Figured the best way to do that would be to wipe it clean and start fresh? It does show under my computer when I plug it in, just can't open it?

Edited by spngbobis4me, 30 January 2017 - 10:21 PM.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

Check with jumanji of sevenforums.com; I think if the WD Passport was set up from the start using Smartware and DriveUnlock, I don't believe simply wiping the drive will be sufficient.  I tried formatting my WD therefore bypassing the embedded Smartware and DriveUnlock; after I copied some stuff to it, could not read it again.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 January 2017 - 11:06 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#12 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:50 AM

I have tried to search for any posts related to  this on sevenforums.com site with no luck finding it? Is there any way to know if my passport was set up using smartware and driveunlock?

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

...Is there any way to know if my passport was set up using smartware and driveunlock?

Exactly where did this WD Passport HD come from?  From an individual?  If yes, perhaps that individual will remember how that HD was set up in the original computer.  I do not know how to check a WD Passport HD for a prior setup -- you may have to contact jumanji via a started thread in sevenforums.com to ask which older threads contain his information.

#14 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:05 AM

Thank you, I was able to go to there website and I found instructions on how to reformat the passport. I have not tried it yet but I will post the results.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:36 AM

After reformatting, please test with several folders and files along with unplugging; the next session, plugging into the computer, reading and writing within the data folders -- make sure of its usability over a few days [even plugging it into another computer and testing likewise] before you commit to storing real important material. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users