Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting a Western Digital USB 2.0 Hard Drive to 3.0 case, is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RetroRender

RetroRender

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:26 AM

I'm looking to squeeze the performance I can out of this Hard Drive that I received from a relative (750 GB WD My Passport).

Will I see increases in Transfer/Read speeds? Is it even worth it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:18 AM

For a mechanical drive, probably not much.  Especially considering most external drives aren't designed for speed in the first place.

Where USB 3 really shines is SSD access.  I routinely transfer user data at work and can move about 90GB from SSD to SSD via USB 3 in less than a half hour.

#3 RetroRender

RetroRender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

For a mechanical drive, probably not much.  Especially considering most external drives aren't designed for speed in the first place.

Where USB 3 really shines is SSD access.  I routinely transfer user data at work and can move about 90GB from SSD to SSD via USB 3 in less than a half hour.

What kind of speed increase would I see, though. Anything worth throwing out a few bucks for a 3.0 enclosure?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

A lot of the WD passports have the USB bridge card integrated with the drive's PCB and the USB connector soldered to the PCB. It would be impossible to put it in an enclosure.

Edit: For example this is a WD USB 3 drive. You can see the USB connector connected directly to the drive's PCB.

http://developers-club.com/posts/231459/

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 January 2017 - 12:11 PM.

#5 RetroRender

RetroRender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

It's a laptop slimline drive, albeit possibly an older model, since it's using 2.0. You're saying that it's not worth it, though? Or that I can't do it.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

You can do it if the drive is removable. I can tell you that a USB 3 platter drive is a lot faster than a USB 2 drive. I have done image backups between the two and it does make a difference. You will not get the advertised speeds of USB 3 though. Advertised USB 3 vs real world speeds are different.  Being a slim drive I doubt you have a separate bridge card. The only way to tell is to remove it from the enclosure. 

Edit: That being said USB 3 enclosures are fairly cheap.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 January 2017 - 12:31 PM.

#7 RetroRender

RetroRender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:33 PM

Yeah, I bought a seperate enclosure that should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I was just trying to figure out if I made the right decision or not.

Edited by hamluis, 30 January 2017 - 12:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users