Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows updating to incorrect driver

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 markab

markab

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:38 PM

hello!

second post here as i continually battle my computer. a couple months or so ago, i had the problem that caused me to make my first post -- my laptop was trying to upgrade to graphics drivers that it couldn't use, because my video card needs to use legacy drivers. this was apparently a part of windows update because it showed in the update log. i found the correct legacy driver, installed it, my games began functioning correctly again, and the error messages i was occasionally getting went away after a couple of days. at the same time i blocked windows update from installing drivers -- or thought i did, anyways.

today i was texting when my screen went black. i wiggled the mouse for a bit and it came back on. i thought it had gone to sleep when i wasn't paying attention, but i went to start up a game and the intense lag immediately clued me in to what had gone on. start menu displayed a radeon program under 'recently added' so i knew something had been recently installed. checked the update log -- once again, windows installed the wrong drivers and broke my video card.

i went back to the driver i'd downloaded last time this happened and reinstalled the appropriate driver. booted the game back up again -- no lag, working fine once more. this is really starting to annoy me -- i don't know why windows is so insistent on trying to install the incorrect driver, and i don't need to have any more worry about this laptop than i already do. does anyone know of a way to stop this behavior? i haven't been able to find any solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:52 PM

Have a read here: http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

Just uninstalling drivers or updates won’t prevent them from being installed again. There’s no way to “hide” an update or

block updates from within Windows itself, but Microsoft provides a downloadable tool to do this. It’s intended for temporarily

hiding buggy or otherwise problematic while they don’t work properly on your system.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 markab

markab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

thank you! i did the first step to try and block it last time but that didn't work.

i tried the show or hide updates troubleshooter but since the driver somehow installed successfully this time it didn't show. i'll keep an eye out for the update when it shows up next and try to catch it before it downloads.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

The easiest way I know of to block Windows 10 from updating device drivers automatically is to hit the Windows Key, type "Change device," and then select the "Change device installation settings" dialog that's returned as the first item.

Make sure the "No" radio button is selected if you do not want Windows Update doing automatic updates for device drivers (or at least third party device drivers).

Before anyone asks, I am aware that the dialog text currently reads, "Do you want to automatically download manufacturers’ apps and custom icons available for your devices?"  This was the result of "a foolish consistency being the hobgoblin of little minds."   In the early days of Windows 10 the dialog text read, "Do you want Windows to download driver software and realistic icons for your devices?"  [And, if you selected "No" there were two additional radio buttons and a checkbox to allow you to further refine the behavior.

Even though the dialog text is, to put it mildly, inaccurate since no one would consider device drivers "apps" this dialog is still accessed via the "Change device installation settings" dialog.  You do the math. . .

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users