Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screens with Windows XP SP3 (Media Center): Comodo 10

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SteveJohnson

SteveJohnson

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

Hi all,

I've been having problems since using Comodo 10 Anti-virus and Firewall for the last month or so. Now, I can't hardly do anything without a blue screen error. I am unable to uninstall Comodo, or other similar programs. Restore point stopped working. I am unable to use DE-FRAGMENTATION. I am not able to open a directory with any java update files without blue screen errors. I am logged in with Admin rights, but when I run a diagnostics program as Admin, it says I need Admin rights to run the program. The only diagnostics program that I know works is HiJackThis. I can't even run Diagnostics mode in msconfig because of "Admin rights" problems. I don't know which forum is the most appropriate to post to because I'm using win xp sp3 (media center), which I haven't seen as forum topics. I have pretty good knowledge of computers, but this one has me stumped. I thank you for any help or advice that will lead to a resolution to these problems. I basically just want things to be as they were pre-Comodo.

Steve

Dell E1505

CPU temp at idle: 40C

Edited by SteveJohnson, 26 January 2017 - 08:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:26 PM

40c idle kind of on the high side, what did you say your cpu/heat sink was and have you done a prime95 20 run as you watch your temps ?

As well sounds like windows is going nuts or something, makes me wonder whats up, you try a chkdsk /r on the Os drive yet from the command line ?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:57 PM

Can you uninstall Comodo via Safe Mode?

#4 SteveJohnson

SteveJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:07 PM

40c idle kind of on the high side, what did you say your cpu/heat sink was and have you done a prime95 20 run as you watch your temps ?

As well sounds like windows is going nuts or something, makes me wonder whats up, you try a chkdsk /r on the Os drive yet from the command line ?

I have to look into the prime95 stuff. But, I was running fine at the same temps before Comodo 10. So, I'm thinking it's something to do with that, or maybe something else. But, the CPU temp is okay I believe. I will try chkdsk from the c: prompt and report back. Thanks very much.

Can you uninstall Comodo via Safe Mode?

I tried twice to uninstall Comodo in safe mode without success. Thanks very much.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:25 PM

If you create a new admin user can you uninstall? In XP if you start in safe mode it enables an account called Administrator. Did you log into this account when trying to uninstall in Safe Mode?

If you can install programs see if Revo Uninstaller will remove Comodo.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

#6 SteveJohnson

SteveJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:35 PM

If you create a new admin user can you uninstall? In XP if you start in safe mode it enables an account called Administrator. Did you log into this account when trying to uninstall in Safe Mode?

If you can install programs see if Revo Uninstaller will remove Comodo.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

I'll try to see if I have success while in SAFE mode as Admin. I doubt that I will though. Revo did not uninstall Comodo in either normal or safe mode. Thanks for your reply.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

Never mind about the heat topic, didn't spot this the first time i posted but it seems your on a laptop and laptops tend to have cpus that can take a lot of heat so its not that.

#8 SteveJohnson

SteveJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:54 AM

Never mind about the heat topic, didn't spot this the first time i posted but it seems your on a laptop and laptops tend to have cpus that can take a lot of heat so its not that.

Ok, thanks. I am currently running a BIOS diagnostics test, and I did get an error code, so I'm trying to find a solution by searching the web. I'll post back if I make any discoveries, or if I need more information. Thanks very much.

#9 SteveJohnson

SteveJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:16 AM

BIOS diagnostics resulted in an error code 2000-0221 "chipset interval timer failed". I should try to fix that error before moving on. Would a faulty CD ROM cause that error I wonder? How about a bad internal clock battery? I'm almost ready to give up. Thanks all.

Edited by SteveJohnson, 27 January 2017 - 06:21 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:03 AM

See this thread. Seems to be related to Dells.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257492-30-error-code-2000-0221

https://www5.nohold.net/Dell/ukp.aspx?pid=31&login=1&userrole=USen&ruleid=2696  Warning a bad flash can brick your computer.

#11 SteveJohnson

SteveJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

See this thread. Seems to be related to Dells.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257492-30-error-code-2000-0221

https://www5.nohold.net/Dell/ukp.aspx?pid=31&login=1&userrole=USen&ruleid=2696  Warning a bad flash can brick your computer.

Thanks. Yeah, I tried the advice from what I read on those two sites, and still have the BIOS error. I flashed the updated BIOS, and I even took out the battery from the laptop and unplugged the power supply, and then depressed the on/off button for over a minute. Still have the error. I have a bad CD ROM, and maybe the internal clock battery is almost dead. I just don't know what else would cause the error. Thanks again.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:59 AM

I would definitely replace the CMOS battery if it's the original. You can try a reinstall of XP for the Comodo issue or if you are planning on purchasing a new computer consider putting a small linux distro on this laptop. Something like Mint Xfce or Puppy would run great and could be installed via USB if your older laptop supports it.

#13 SteveJohnson

SteveJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

I would definitely replace the CMOS battery if it's the original. You can try a reinstall of XP for the Comodo issue or if you are planning on purchasing a new computer consider putting a small linux distro on this laptop. Something like Mint Xfce or Puppy would run great and could be installed via USB if your older laptop supports it.

You're right. I should put in a new battery. And, I have tested out Linuix, and it works great. Only thing is that the media player for videos needs updating. I used Xubuntu, and the media player that comes installed with it, didn't play some videos. Anyways, that's an easy fix. Now I just need to resolve the error 2000-0221. I flashed the BIOS update, but there is still the error. Hoping someone will know of the fix. Thanks again.

#14 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:50 AM

And the Error is what ?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •