Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard error or no keyboard present

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Flamined

Flamined

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:59 PM

Hi guys,

I have an old computer at my parents that they occasionally use which now does not turn on, it goes past the opening screen where you can hit delete for setup on F12 i think for something else and then goes straight to the black screen in the picture Ive uploaded. I trawled a few topics looking for answers but the keyboard is non responsive even though im pretty sure it works fine... so i cant go to setup or anything. Is it curtains for the old thing?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:32 PM

Well it boots so that good and you have a nice e8500 cpu in their, they overclock to like 4000mgz and if the keyboard dousen't work change it, i know i can get replacements at pc refurb stores for like $5

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:54 PM

I agree - either the keyboard is faulty or it is not plugged in properly. Personally I wouldn't buy a re-furb keyboard, new cable connected ones are not what you could call expensive.

Does this computer use a USB or a PS2 connection ?  PS2 keyboards are fairly hard to find but you can get get a USB to PS2 adapter if necessary.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 Flamined

Flamined
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:45 PM

Hi guys, I've just plugged the USB keyboard into my laptop and it works fine. It was plugged in ok in the PC as well because it has worked for years and I tried it in a few different USB ports. Also my sister said that the USB mouse stopped working before the computer turned off as well so i definitely think its something with the ports.

Sorry for the slow reply, thanks for the help!

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

OK, so the keyboard is good. See if you can get a couple of USB to PS2 adapters since your mobo should have PS2 connectors for the mouse and keyboard, They shouldn't cost you more than a pound or two each. Google 'USB to PS2 adapter'.

I have known one desktop running XP which would run perfectly happyly with a USB keyboard and mouse but would not boot unless it was PS2 connected !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 Flamined

Flamined
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:30 AM

Well now! This has reaped good rewards. However other problems have arisen... I now get unmountable_boot_volume blue screen, so i put in the windows disk and went to the repair console to try cskdsk /r but that didnt work, it got to 50% and then said something was irreparable which seems rather bad.

Despite this i have managed to boot up a couple of times in safe mode, although it seems rather hit and miss and sometimes i still get the BSOD...

Attached Files

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:09 PM

Unfortunately I am now a bit rusty on XP but the next time you do get into Safe Mode try the 'Last known good' option and see if that does anything.

Do you have access to another computer ?  It would be worth running the 'Seagate tools for DOS' or your hard drive. Go to the Seagate web-site and download 'Tools for DOS' and burn it to a CD. I thought it downloaded as an ISO file which needs expanding before you burn it to CD but the last time I suggested it to someone I was told it just burnt straight to a CD. So, it may be an ISO file or it may not !  I keep a copy on my desk but it is a long time since I downloaded it.

When you have the CD, power up the computer, open the CD drive, put the disk in and re-start the computer. The Tools for DOS disk is a self-booter so it will fire up your computer and let you check your hard drive. There are two tests on the disk, the long and the short. Run the short first. If that shows any problems run the long one which is much more thorough but takes quite a while longer. This will tell you if there are any serious problems with your hard drive.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

SeaTools for DOS Tutorial - http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users