Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I keep my windows when changing my MB?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 victorkoel

victorkoel

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

Hello there,

Since a few days my MB stopped working, so the logical thing to do is to buy a new one. Well, that is what I am going to do but I am not sure if I will have to buy new windows. All my other components like videocard, cpu, ram, etc. wil stay the same. I am not sure what the specs of my current broken MB is but the model is CIB85M and it says it is an intel LGA1150 MB. I currently have windows 10. The motherboard I am going to buy is the MSI B85M-G43.

So my question to you guys is: do i keep my windows when changing between these motherboards?

Kind regards,

Victor

Edited by hamluis, 26 January 2017 - 05:54 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

You obtained Windows 10 from where or how?

You have better possibilities if you have done Microsoft account.

#3 victorkoel

victorkoel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

Well I bought the computer pre-built with windows 8 on it. I upgraded it to windows 10.

So I probably don't have a microsoft account even though I don't really know what this means.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

Microsoft account is alternative way for logging into Windows.

If you haven't done that, then you probably cannot use that Windows 10 any more.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 26 January 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#5 victorkoel

victorkoel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

Oke, so my only option is buying new windows?

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

You perhaps can continue using Windows 8 but in that case you need to grab licence key from motherboard BIOS somehow. Unless you can do that, then you cannot use Windows 8 either.

So buying new Windows seem to be only legal option.

#7 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

It's worth doing the minimum neccessary to get the PC working again. Motherboard you say - as long as old CPU and memory are compatible (or with new CPU and/or memory if they are not compatible), then fire up the PC.

Windows will almost certainly not be activated after such a significant change. Then contact MS support through chat (you can get there through the activation troubleshooter) and explain the situation - "motherboard died, changed minimum neccessary to get it working again". There is a reasonable chance they will help. You will need your old product key to hand.

If they refuse to help, then you still have the option of buying a replacement key.

x64

#8 victorkoel

victorkoel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

Ok, the MB supports 4th gen intel processor so that should be fine because I have an intel i7-4770 CPU. And I am pretty sure the RAM fits to. I just have to check if all the front panel connectors and such fit, after that it should be fine.

As I have said before, I bought the pre-built PC with windows 8 on it already. So I don't really have a product key, but is there any way to still find the product key?

Much thanks,

Victor

#9 victorkoel

victorkoel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

Well, I kind of got confused while looking at the connector layouts of the new motherboards. They don't match up and I can't find a motherboard where they do match up. For example, my front audio connector has a 7x2 pin layout while there are only 5x2 pins on the new motherboard. Same thing with all the other ones, they just don't match up. The names of the connectors of the old motherboard are names like F_audio, F-usb, F-panel and such. The names of the new motherboard are names like JAUD, JUSB and there is actually no front panel connector. I can't find the same motherboard I have now for sale so that isn't an option.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

Your prebuilt machine model and manufacturer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users