Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSODs on Win7-64 Lenovo T510

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jpullam

jpullam

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

I have been getting a lot of BSODs on this computer and they all seem to be connected with watching NHL.COM/TV (live hockey games). Sometimes they happen while viewing a game and at other times they happen later. But they never seem to occur until I've watched part of a game since the reboot.

This happened last winter too so I rebuilt the machine over the summer starting from a factory DVD, but the same problem is happening again.

The machine is a Lenovo T510 running windows 7, 64 bit.

There are a few different crashes, but the most common one is 3b SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION caused by driver afd.sys. The file version says "6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)"

After that, the next most common is c2, BAD_POOL_CALLER caused by driver NETw5s64.sys. The file version says "13.0.0.107"

I'm moderately technical and quite willing to update anything but I lack the expertise to figure out what needs to be updated. I have the dumps and can examine anything using Bluescreeview.

Can someone suggest where I can get started on this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

Even though I bet your Intel Wi-Fi driver is the cause, please follow the instructions here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

and attach the requested files in your next post.

Thanks. :)

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 jpullam

jpullam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

Here are the 2 files I was supposed to upload.

Attached Files

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

Hi, jpullam,

Thanks for the Sysnative report.  

I've just had a chance to review your dumps and as you noted earlier, they blamed either afd.sys, the Microsoft Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock, or NETw5s64.sys, your Intel® Wireless WiFi (Intel® Wireless WiFi Kernel) driver. However, I doubted that a Microsoft driver was causing your BSODs, and on closer inspection of the dumps, I could see that they all referenced NETw5s64.sys in some way. Therefore, I confirm my previous analysis and believe your Intel WiFi drivers are the cause. (There have been reports of the very same driver causing the same BSOD.)

Please:

• create a system restore point
• download the latest WiFi drivers from Intel's website, uninstall your current Intel WiFi drivers from the Control Panel, reboot into Safe Mode WITHOUT Networking (so Windows doesn't try to automatically find new drivers online), install the fresh copy you got, and reboot one more time
• ensure Windows is fully updated
• monitor for further BSODs; if more occur, please run the Sysnative tool again and run these hardware diagnostics.

Thank you.

bwv848

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 jpullam

jpullam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

This makes sense and I am starting to do what you recommend. I would appreciate a bit of feedback to help me get the right driver. When I followed the Intel process to identify my WiFi driver it turned out to be WiFi Link 1000 BGN. And the properties window showed a date of 9/15/2009 and version 13.0.0.107 so it does seem rather ancient.

Intel's site has many files and I can't get a hit on one that properly describes this.  But there are a number of driver sites out there and am not sure who (if anyone) to trust. There seems to be a hit at http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1929978&si=504a09732b63e966c10c3e35e4f7e95e

What do you suggest ?

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

Please don't download any drivers from DriverGuide. These websites sometimes enclose malware in their installation package. :o

I believe this driver will work:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds030245

As always, please create a system restore point.

Edited by bwv848, 27 January 2017 - 11:04 AM.

#7 jpullam

jpullam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

Thanx a lot for the assistance.

This morning I installed it from the Lenovo link that you gave me. I did the restore point, but I followed the Lenovo instructions and they didn't require a first uninstall and they didn't suggest a safe mode reboot. (I figured if this didn't work I could always do it again the way you suggested.)

So far everything is working fine. It didn't even forget the WiFi network credentials. Of course, time will tell whether I get more BSODs.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

Glad to hear, please let us know how it goes. :thumbup2:

#9 jpullam

jpullam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

I haven't had a BSOD since and have watched a number of games, so I am satisfied that I can call this one fixed.

Thanx again for your help.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:20 PM

Awesome! You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users