Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 changed msconfig to boot to safe mode - now it won't boot at all

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 winds10

winds10

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

I was trying to get my computer to boot to safe mode so I could delete all AVG virus scan related files. I followed instructions online where they said to change the msconfig.exe setting in the boot tab to boot in safe mode.

After making the change and restarted, but the computer won't boot to any screen at all. The F8 during the boot is unresponsive. I cannot even get it to boot to my Windows 8.1 DVD.

How can I revert the msconfig change I made so I can boot successfully? Please help! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

Try the following.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen

Select Troubleshoot and System Restore. Do a System Restore to a date just before your msconfig change.

If you cannot get to the spinning circle then see this post. You will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings if enabled. Also Legacy or CSM boot may need to be enabled for the Kaspersky Rescue Disk to boot. Be very careful when editing the registry.

#3 winds10

winds10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

Thanks, JohnC. I will try that. When I turn on the computer there is no screen activity at all. The monitor stays in sleep mode and nothing will display, not even the boot up motherboard post screen. 

You said to disable secureboot in BIOS, but I cannot even get to my BIOS screen. During the boot sequence the computer doesn't respond to F4, F8 or anything. And as I said it won't even boot from my Windows DVD. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,266 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? You may need to pull the drive and attach it to another computer then edit the registry offline in order to change the Safe Mode setting in the registry if you cannot access your BIOS settings. 

It's possible something else failed and changing msconfig was a coincidence.

#5 winds10

winds10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

Ok, it's been a while since I had to access the BIOS screen. My mobo is Gigabyte, so I think it's the DEL key to go to the BIOS (had to look it up). I have made the Kaspersky Rescue Disk now, so I will try that route first at home this evening.

That was going to be my next question. I have access to another PC so I can load the OS hdd with the messed up msconfig and then load it on the other PC and access it, right? 

And then I would just use CMD to go to that drive from this other PC and then edit the registry?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

The Kaspersky recue disc is for cleaning infections, this will not resolve your Windows problem.  The disc is a bootable disc, this means that you would need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD would be the first device in the boot order and the ssd/hdd the second device.  This would also apply to your installation disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,266 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

dc3, the Kaspersky rescue disk has an offline registry editor that I was hoping would resolve the safe mode issue by altering a registry key to disable Safe Mode.

Edit: @winds10, if you cannot get the Kasperky disk to boot then attach the disk to another computer. Start the registry editor and start at step 7 of the below guide. You will need to browse to and load the SYSTEM HIVE of the attached drive located at Windows\System32\config

http://www.wintips.org/how-to-edit-and-modify-registry-offline/

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 January 2017 - 01:19 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,401 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

The Kaspersky website I looked at hadn't mentioned any other options other than being used to resolve infection type problems.  Am I surprised... nope.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

If you can figure out how to boot from the installation disc (you should be able to now, since you can boot from a Kaspersky Disc), I would follow OPTION FIVE in this tutorial, using the BCDEdit command:

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2757-safe-mode-start-windows-8-a.html#option5

It'll be easier than trying to edit the registry from a Kaspersky Rescue Disc.

Good luck!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,266 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:28 PM

If you can figure out how to boot from the installation disc (you should be able to now, since you can boot from a Kaspersky Disc), I would follow OPTION FIVE in this tutorial, using the BCDEdit command:

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2757-safe-mode-start-windows-8-a.html#option5

It'll be easier than trying to edit the registry from a Kaspersky Rescue Disc.

Good luck!

Thanks bwv848. I forgot about BCDedit command. Nice catch.

Edit:@winds10 if you do not have an install disk you can use the Media Creation Tool here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 January 2017 - 01:31 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,266 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

The Kaspersky website I looked at hadn't mentioned any other options other than being used to resolve infection type problems.  Am I surprised... nope.

Here is a link

https://support.kaspersky.com/8110

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,401 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the link John.

#13 winds10

winds10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

First, thank you guys for responding to my post to help me with my situation. This issue was caused, at least in part, by my inexperience. Let me explain. After I set the msconfig boot to safe mode > minimal, and the restarted, nothing happened. The power was on but no image, not even the post screen appeared. As I mentioned above, I couldn't even boot from my Win 8.1 disk. Then I remembered I need to disconnect all my peripherals from the PC, such as external hard drives, USB hub, etc. Then I was able to boot from the Kaspersky Rescue Disk and delete all AVG related files. The thing that was causing the boot to fail were all the USB peripherals I still had connected to the PC.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,266 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

You can boot normally now? Thanks for the update.

#15 winds10

winds10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

Yes, I was able to boot to safe mode where I then reset the msconfig back to boot normally. Now everything is good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users