Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB External Drive cannot be detected even by Partition Recovery Tools

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LAPOGEE

LAPOGEE

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:31 AM

Hi,

My USB 3 external drive is now inaccessible. It's months old Seagate Backup Plus, 6TB, used in Windows 10. Now its only appearance is in the Device Manager, not in Disk Management, not detectable by all the Partition Recovery tools I have. I tried it on all the USB ports, on different computers, no luck. In the Device Manager, its Properties has an empty tab of Volumes, when Populate, the Error shows No volume information found. I also tried Disable and Uninstall the controller driver, and then rebooted, reconnected, for multiple times, no avail. Please kindly help. 

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

Not showing is Disk Management is not good. There are a couple of ways to approach this. It's possible the USB bridge card failed and putting the drive into an enclosure may work but if a portable it's possible the USB bridge card is integrated with the drives PCB and the USB connector soldered to it so putting it in an enclosure is impossible. The other option is to boot a live linux disk an hope the problem is Windows 10. The live linux disk may be able to mount the drive so the contents can be read.

For a Windows 10 computer I usually recommend burning an iso of fatdog64 to a CD/DVD. Fatdog64-710.iso

Boot the fatdog disk. At the lower left you will see your hard drive partitions labeled sdax. Attach the external. Hopefully you will see a USB icon appear on the desktop next to the hard drive partitions. Click once on it and if fatdog can mount the drive a File Manager will open showing the contents of your drive.

With the drive attached open a command prompt and type the following

diskpart

list disk

Is the external detected?

#3 LAPOGEE

LAPOGEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your quick response that brings hope. 

The external drive has its original enclosure, as you can see from the following link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R1P2WDK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't have a linux computer or bootable partition to try the linux disk, but will make a Fatdog64 CD to proceed. Will let you know the result.

Thanks again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

One thing to try first. If you have another computer is the drive detected when attached?

#5 LAPOGEE

LAPOGEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

I tried it on a Mac that can read NTFS drive, nothing detected. I also tried with SeaTools For Windows that Seagate provided for trouble-shooting hard drives, when the program starts to search USB drives, it seems to take forever if this problem drive is connected. I have also had to disconnect this drive when rebooting the computer, when BIOS sets the priority on external booting device.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

I don't think fatdog would be able to mount this disk but you can give it a try. If not detected by fatdog then you will either need to remove it from the enclosure, if it's even possible, and use a USB adapter, docking station, or enclosure to attach the drive hoping it's the USB bridge card.

Depending on the value of this data you can get a quote from a professional data recovery service which is not cheap. The quote is free but the recovery could be $800 and up. DriveSavers is one of the better services.

https://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 January 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#7 LAPOGEE

LAPOGEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

You're right, John. Fatdog cannot detect the disk. When the disk is plugged in, Fatdog will not be able to boot up itself, stuck at the step "Booting the kernel", until the disk is removed. Or, after bootup, Fatdog cannot shutdown the system unless the disk is removed. Seems to be an endless effort in accessing the problem disk.

The data on the drive is around 2TB, the value is a lot more over $800. It is hard to make a decision to get a new empty drive from Seagate for the warranty, meaning I would lose all the data. If I spend money on the professional data service, do you think there is any concern of confidentiality of my files necessary?  

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

Does fatdog boot without the external attached? Boot without the external then attach the external after reaching the fatdog desktop.

Edit: Drivesavers has strict confidentiality however I don't know if they are required to report to the authorities if something is found to be illegal.

We may disclose your Personal Information in connection with law enforcement, fraud prevention or other legal action; as required by law or regulation; or if DriveSavers reasonably believes it is necessary to protect DriveSavers, its customers or the public. DriveSavers may be required to provide personal information in response to a lawful request from governmental authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.

Do you have a model number of the external. Is it a portable?

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 January 2017 - 01:57 PM.

#9 LAPOGEE

LAPOGEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

Model: Seagate Backup Plus 6TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STDT6000100) (I had an amazon link in my earlier replies).

Yes Fatdog boots up well without the external drive connected, however, plugging it in brings no more new element to the sdax icons on the desktop. So do I believe the problem is beyond what Fatdog can handle. 

I called the DriveSavers for further information. I may have to give up seeking any software to get my data back myself but to send the disk to professionals for recovery. Nothing to worry about the confidentiality.

Thank you so much for all the nice and detailed answers.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

Yes, I would not touch that drive if the value of the data is more than $800. Consult Drive Savers. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users