Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continual hard hang while installing Windows Updates & device drivers, esp. GPU

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:00 AM

Hi all!

Each and every time while installing Windows Updates and device drivers, my computer hard hangs, especially my GPU driver. Neither the keyboard nor the mouse work any more, and as such I have to 'force' shut it down by pressing and holding the power button. There is no BSOD.

As for only Windows Updates, they most often get installed, but then the computer hard hangs while booting up again. And after having 'force' shut it down, it boots up normally without any error messages, while finishing off configuring the updates.

However, if Windows Updates and GPU device drivers get installed simultaneously, I hear a USB device connection sound, then the screen goes black and the keyboard and the mouse stop responding. Which clearly indicates that the GPU device driver is the culprit. :exclame:

Sometimes I have to install Windows Updates from Windows Update Catalog in Internet Explorer to at least get Windows Updates to install, but other times I have to restart my computer in Safe Mode and uninstall the GPU device driver with Display Driver Uninstaller.

Nevertheless, this latter method also results in my computer hard hanging, and after 'force' shutting it down, upon restart I am using only generic Windows GPU device drivers.

And even though Windows is only supposed to install Windows Updates and device drivers manually, the OS actually silently installs the GPU device driver in the background, thus causing my computer to hard hang.

In fact I even have to start CMD as Administrator and run the commands NET STOP BITS and NET STOP WUAUSERV in order to gain just enough control so as to work in peace, but sometimes I get interrupted by two continous GPU driver error messages, reading; and I quote:

AMD:CCC-AEMCapturingWindow: RadeonSettings.exe - Invalid Image

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\mantle64.dll is either not designed to be run in Windows, or contains an error. Try to reinstall the program with the original installation media, or contact the system administrator or the program manufacturer to get help. Error code 0cx000012f

AMD:CCC-AEMCapturingWindow: RadeonSettings.exe - Invalid Image

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\amdvlk64.dll is either not designed to be run in Windows, or contains an error. Try to reinstall the program with the original installation media, or contact the system administrator or the program manufacturer to get help. Error code 0cx000012f

I have already run DISM and SFC, but neither reported anything missing.

I have also recently upgraded my UEFI to the latest version (7.30).

I know that I have a missing PSU device monitoring driver, but this is due to the very same issue.

Please review my logs, and suggest what I can do to resolve this, as any help is appreciated. :busy:

I am sorry for several of the log files being in Norwegian (my first language), anyway I am including my Piriform Speccy results here.

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

· OS - Windows 10
· x64
· Original installed OS on system - Windows 10
· The OS is an OEM version (came pre-installed on system)
· Age of system (hardware) - 14 months
· Age of OS installation is approximately 4 months - yes, I have re-installed the OS several times in the past due to incompatible ext. HDD drivers (not om my system ATM :wink:)

· CPU - INTEL Core i7-6700K 4.0-4.2GHz LGA1151 Boxed/Retail
· Video Card - MSI GK MSI RADEON R9 390X GAMING 8G Twin Frozr V
· MotherBoard - ASRock Z170 EXTREME7+ LGA1151 ATX
· Power Supply - brand & wattage - CORSAIR AX760i 760W PSU Digital ATX

· System Manufacturer - www.ps.no
· Exact model number - Custom built Tundra Workstation

· Desktop

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   2.12MB   4 downloads

Attached File  Perfmon.zip   155.32KB   3 downloads

Edited by midimusicman79, 27 January 2017 - 06:48 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

Hi, midimusicman79, :)

Have you tried disabling automatic download of drivers from Windows Update yet?

From your Sysnative report, you had one BSOD in August 2016 which was probably caused by aswVmm.sys, an avast! driver. I don't see anymore traces of avast! drivers on your system so that should be O.K. :thumbsup:

From your Speccy report, S.M.A.R.T. warns that your 2794GB BUFFALO HD-GDU3 USB Device is "overheating" at 51°C. Is this an external storage device? If it is, I would disconnect it as prolonged overheating isn't good.

While waiting for usasma, please run all of these hardware diagnostics, starting with the video card tests to rule out the possibility of hardware problems. Also, as the page says, please start monitoring your temps.

Good luck!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

Hi, bwv848!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

No, I have not yet tried this suggestion, but now I have tried it; BTW thanks for the tip. :wink:

As it happens, on my system version I do not have any fine-grained options other than simply enabling or disabling of this feature, though, but nevertheless I chose to disable it and even downloaded the said tool and hid this specific update manually. :thumbsup:

However, I also had to set BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) from 'automatic' to 'manual start', in addition to WUAUSERV (Windows Update), which already was set to 'manual start' prior to this issue, once again in order to work in peace. :exclame:

It is right now at the point where I just do not dare to start Windows Update at all, since doing so clearly restarts the download and installing / configuring of this GPU device driver update, which immediately causes my computer to hard hang again. :(

Is it my only option to uninstall the GPU device driver in Safe Mode with Display Driver Uninstaller, which I mentioned in my first post?

As for the said BSOD last August, that was actually me testing the Anti-Rootkit tool aswMBR.exe (mentioned in my signature, BTW), which prompted me with a question as to whether or not to use virtualization, which did not work because Hyper-V was not installed on beforehand, so neccesarily, it crashed.

Regarding the 2794GB BUFFALO HD-GDU3 USB Device; Yes, it is an external storage device. I will consider doing this, as it is my backup and disk imaging disk. Also, from a security perspective, it is wise to keep it disconnected while not in use, in order to further reduce the risk for ransomware.

When I get some time and peace I will possibly try running the said hardware diagnostics as well as start monitoring my temps, I already have CPUID HWMonitor which is great at this task. But for now, I will fervently hope that I get my computer more stable before I do so.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 27 January 2017 - 12:16 PM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:42 AM

Hi again, bwv848!

Now I have downloaded DDU, restarted my computer in Safe Mode, uninstalled my GPU device driver, which surprisingly enough did not crash as usual, but went well (guess I changed a setting or two), restarted my computer and now I have the generic Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, launched Windows Update, reinstalled my GPU device driver, but Control Panel as usual still reports that I have Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. (This driver does of course not provide the best scrolling experience in Mozilla Firefox or any other web browser for that matter.)

Will see if and when Windows Update might eventually reinstall the AMD GPU complete device driver, though, because after all, that is how it has been automatically fixed before (last time was at November 1, 2016, BTW, when I was very close to asking for help, but in the last minute it was fixed automatically).

Fingers crossed!

Thank you very much for the help! :) I think the issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 29 January 2017 - 07:30 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:54 AM

Don't worry about the Norwegian reports - most Windows reports are standardized, so the information is in the same place (and is often in English anyway).

Could you please run Windows Update and make the system hang one more time?

Then recover from the hang and immediately generate this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps.  If uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

I think that this report will help the most.  There aren't frequent BSOD's, nor are there any Live Kernel Events in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report (sometimes a symptom of a hardware problem) - so this is most likely a user-level event, and chances are good that Windows will capture any significant errors.  Then it's just our job to figure out what's significant and what's not.

Here's the analysis of the reports that you uploaded:

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P7.30) dates from 2016.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Only 6 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 14393 (1607) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

This device doesn't have drivers installed:

Corsair Link TM USB Dongle    USB\VID_1B1C&PID_1C00\R5850148    The drivers for this device are not installed.

As I have seen problems with this device in the past, I'd suggest uninstalling it's software and physically removing it from the system while we're troubleshooting.

I agree that the August BSOD probably isn't significant to this problem.

But the memory dump may contain some hints about drivers for us.

I have to wonder about the compatibility of drivers that were released BEFORE W10 (29 July 2015)

See the list below and please update them (Secunia Personal Software Inspector, Sound Blaster, and Avast)

If unable to update, please let us know which one's so we can make suggestions.

Analysis:
The following is for information purposes only. The following information contains the relevant information from the blue screen analysis:
**************************Wed Aug 24 08:09:43.775 2016 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\john\SysnativeBSODApps\082416-4187-01.dmp]
Windows 10 Kernel Version 14393 MP (8 procs) Free x64
Built by: 14393.82.amd64fre.rs1_release.160805-1735
System Uptime:0 days 0:29:47.389
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswVmm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswVmm.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by :memory_corruption
BugCheck 50, {fffff6fb7dbed870, 0, fffff80d3f5a78be, 2}
BugCheck Info: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Arguments:
Arg1: fffff6fb7dbed870, memory referenced.
Arg2: 0000000000000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation.
Arg3: fffff80d3f5a78be, If non-zero, the instruction address which referenced the bad memory
    address.
Arg4: 0000000000000002, (reserved)
BUGCHECK_STR:  AV
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  CODE_CORRUPTION
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE
CPUID:        "Intel® Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz"
MaxSpeed:     4000
CurrentSpeed: 4008
  BIOS Version                  P3.10
  BIOS Release Date             06/30/2016
  Manufacturer                  To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  Baseboard Manufacturer        ASRock
  Product Name                  To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  Baseboard Product             Z170 Extreme7+
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only. My recommendations were given above. The drivers that follow belong to software or devices that were not developed by Microsoft.  You can find links to the driver information and where to update the drivers in the section after the code box:

**************************Wed Aug 24 08:09:43.775 2016 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
psi_mf_amd64.sys            Thu Feb  7 04:28:21 2013 (511373B5)
cthda.sys                   Wed Jul  3 03:45:44 2013 (51D3D6A8)
cthdb.sys                   Wed Jul  3 03:45:50 2013 (51D3D6AE)
aswVmm.sys                  Mon Apr 28 07:15:30 2014 (535E3852)
aswMBR.sys                  Thu Nov 13 07:04:01 2014 (54649E31)

**Windows 10 released on 29 July 2015**

TeeDriverW8x64.sys          Mon Aug 31 15:49:07 2015 (55E4AFB3)
bcmwl63a.sys                Sat Sep 19 03:42:15 2015 (55FD11D7)
fltsrv.sys                  Thu Jan 14 13:43:21 2016 (5697EC49)
virtual_file.sys            Fri Jan 22 06:53:42 2016 (56A21846)
file_tracker.sys            Mon Feb  8 04:52:31 2016 (56B8655F)
snapman.sys                 Tue Mar 15 05:33:00 2016 (56E7D6CC)
tib_mounter.sys             Thu Apr  7 09:47:00 2016 (570664D4)
AtihdWT6.sys                Wed Apr 20 21:30:52 2016 (57182D4C)
tib.sys                     Mon Apr 25 12:15:19 2016 (571E4297)
hmpnet.sys                  Thu Jun  2 05:26:03 2016 (574FFBAB)
atikmpag.sys                Fri Jun 24 12:25:19 2016 (576D5EEF)
atikmdag.sys                Fri Jun 24 12:50:59 2016 (576D64F3)
intelppm.sys                Fri Jul 15 22:10:43 2016 (578997A3)
epp.sys                     Thu Jul 21 02:46:41 2016 (57906FD1)
hmpalert.sys                Fri Jul 22 10:17:09 2016 (57922AE5)

http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=psi_mf_amd64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=cthda.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=cthdb.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswVmm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswMBR.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=TeeDriverW8x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=bcmwl63a.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=fltsrv.sys
virtual_file.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=file_tracker.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=snapman.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=tib_mounter.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=AtihdWT6.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=tib.sys
hmpnet.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmpag.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmdag.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=intelppm.sys
epp.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
hmpalert.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.

Edited by usasma, 28 January 2017 - 07:54 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

Hi, usasma!

With all due respect, it seems like we cross-posted, so I am therefore wondering; Did you read post #4?

Here is the report as per your request:

Attached File  Admin.zip   524.53KB   2 downloads

As it happens, my computer hard hanged several times on its own today, while I was preparing the uninstallation of the GPU device driver. :exclame:

I can confirm that after having uninstalled / reinstalled the GPU device driver, my computer is now back to being just as stable as it normally is. Yay! :thumbup2:

I checked ASRock's website and can confirm that I have the very latest UEFI version, 7.30. :thumbup2:

I also visited Windows Update and can confirm that I got all available Windows Updates. I checked manually, and did not experience any errors when checking or updating. :thumbup2:

As for the Corsair Link TM USB Dongle, this is simply a monitoring device for my PSU, and I do not have any drivers for it installed, because of this very hard hang issue, as that is what happened when I actually tried to install it. However, I will consider removing it, although TBH I am somewhat reluctant about opening up the computer case and make modifications, even though my dad and I myself built this computer, unless I have to. I am well aware of the potential risk of having a missing device driver, though.

Speaking about drivers etc., Secunia PSI reports: "All 87 programs are up to date." as of today, 28/01/2017. However, this tool does not update drivers, AFAIK. :thumbup2:

When I checked for Sound Blaster updates, there were in fact four critical ones, which I downloaded immediately, but while installing; What a SURPRISE!, my computer hard hanged and, unlike usual, I even got a BSOD simultaneously! Of course it is included in the log file above. :exclame:

As for avast!, as mentioned earlier, that was just the Anti-Rootkit tool aswMBR.exe, IOW it is not like as if I have avast! Free Anti-Virus or something. :lol:

I am still waiting for the complete AMD GPU device driver to possibly be reinstalled via Windows Update, maybe it will, or will not. :unsure:

Please analyze the hard hangs earlier today as well as this fresh BSOD! :busy:

Thank you!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 29 January 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:00 AM

Hi again, usasma!

I would like to apologize for not being forthcoming enough.

I have now uninstalled and physically removed the Corsair device from my computer as per your recommendations.

I hope we still can continue with our troubleshooting, please.

Thank you!

Regards,
midimusicman79

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I'm having eye problems and have to travel an hour each direction to see another eye doctor until the problem is fixed (soo I hope).

I am uncertain if I saw post 4 or not before my reply.  FWIW - I am visually handicapped and am currently going through some additional problems with my eyes - so I may miss things.  I apologize in advance for this.

The Admin logfile shows that access to drivers at Windows Update is blocked by policy on your system.

You may want to unblock that if you're going to use the Windows Update drivers.

Hundreds of DCOM errors referencing WSearch.
I would try this to see if that fixes it:

Please attempt to fix your DCOM errors by doing this:

Go to Start, and then to Run (or the Win and R keys)
Type in "dcomcnfg" (without the quotes) and press Enter

In the Component Services window that opens, go to the left hand pane and double click on:
- Component Services, then on
- Computers, then on
- My Computer, then on
- DCOM Config
If it asks you to register any of the components, click Yes
This may happen several times if there are several unregistered components

Once you're finished, close the window and reboot the computer.
Check to see if the problems are fixed.
NOTE:  This is a generic "fix" for DCOM errors.  If it does not fix your problems, please post back.

If that doesn't work, then please try DISM/SFC:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after typing it.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.  If it does find corruptions that it cannot repair, I would suggest zipping up and posting the CBS.log (from C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log ) so that other experts can help with that (I can't read the CBS logs myself).

In General, there's no repetitive events that occur just before each shutdown.
As such, this isn't an error that Windows appears to see.

In most cases this is a hardware issue - so please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Without a driver, the computer doesn't know what to do with the device.

Also, the Corsair Link stuff has been known to give problems in the past, so removing it is advisable in case it is causing problems.

AFAIK, it's a simple plug onto the motherboard that it connects to.

Make sure that the power is unplugged and that you ground yourself by holding onto the metal of the chassis, then simply unplug it.

Don't worry about not uninstalling this earlier.  I appreciate you coming back to tell me about it.

I'm not real familiar with Secunia, but it has had decent reviews.  Still, having it report that all is updated is disconcerting due to the number of older drivers (and the missing drivers for the Corsair Link) in the dump files

You may want to see what this free update program says:  https://support.kaspersky.com/11827

In short, nothing beats checking manually at this time.  It is time consuming, but I'm only suggesting it because of the problems you're having - not on a regular basis.

I'm unable to find where you uploaded the new BSOD dump file.  It may be a problem with my eyes, but which post # is it in?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

Hi again, usasma!

I downloaded a registry file in order to quickly unblock the Windows Update Drivers policy, from here.

I firstly ran dcomcnfg as per your recommendations, but was not asked to register any components, and as such it did not help, because the DCOM errors continued after reboot. :(

I nextly ran DISM, which reported: "The restore operation completed successfully. The operation completed successfully." I.e. nothing wrong.

I lastly ran SFC, which reported: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." I.e. nothing wrong.

As for the hard hangs, since I uninstalled and reinstalled the GPU device driver (Microsoft Basic Display Adapter), they have essentially stopped, apart from the Sound Blaster device drivers, though, which I have not yet tried again. Moreover, I am still assuming that general Windows Updates will cause my computer to hard hang during reboot.

Prior to this, however, my computer would hard hang on its own during approximately 5-10 minutes after booting / rebooting, and consequently, my computer is now just as stable as usual again. I will consider to run hardware diagnostics if necessary, and I am also monitoring my temps.

Regarding Secunia PSI, it only updates software in general, but it also does NOT update drivers, AFAIK.

I will try the Kaspersky Software Updater, and if need be, also check manually for device driver updates. :busy:

Sorry about the new BSOD file, I uploaded the Admin.zip and forgot about also uploading the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip, but here it is:

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   2.23MB   2 downloads

Please analyze!

Thank you!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 31 January 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:12 AM

Secunia PSI updates "insecure programs".  These programs may/may not contain drivers - so those drivers would be updated also.

Drivers are software constructs that tell the system how to work with devices (the devices may be hardware or software).

No memory dumps in the uploaded reports (except for the Aug 2016 one).

Nor was there any BSOD info in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report

But I did find a STOP 0xEF error listed in the System logfile from EventViewer.  It states that a memory dump was saved to C:\Windows|MEMORY.dmp - yet one was not saved, as the KernelDumpList.txt report only shows the one from Aug 2016.

This dated from 30 Jan 17, I also found:

A STOP 0x139 from 29 Jan17

A STOP 0x7E from 26 Jan 17

A STOP 0x3B from 24 Jan 17

A STOP 0xD1 from 22 Jan 17

A STOP 0xC4 from 21 Jan 17

This is enough to establish that there is a lack of a pattern here - which is typical of hardware/compatibility/low-level driver issues.

Please be sure to run the hardware diagnostics.

Good luck!

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

Hi again, usasma!

Thank you very much for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

I am now trying the Kaspersky Software Updater, and it has already helped me update two programs, but nonetheless no device drivers, at least not yet. Will have to look into manual checking soon, though. :thumbup2: Thanks for the tip, BTW! :wink:

I guess no one update program can cover updating 100% of software 100% of the time on 100% of computers for 100% of users, just like AV/AM programs. :lol:

FWIW, the BSOD was a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, and I got a new one today when once again trying to update the Sound Blaster device drivers, but there was unfortunately no memory dump file this time either. :exclame:

I have performed several full disk imaging backups of my computer, and will now try running hardware diagnostics. :busy:

With your insightful help we have made several software improvements during this BSOD forum topic. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the help! :) It appears that the issue has been resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 03 February 2017 - 07:47 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

Glad to hear it.

Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users