Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What could be the cause of an unstable disk speed?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 frusciante54

frusciante54

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:00 AM

Hello everyone. My computer sometimes freezes, stops for like 10-15 seconds even in basic tasks like opening Paint, right clicking on a file etc.

I've scanned my PC for viruses, nothing. I've formatted the disc like a week ago but it's still the same. So I think this problem is related to hardware. More specifically, to my hard drive. But I'm not an expert so I wanted to ask you.

My computer is 3-4 years old now. I know, it's an old computer. I haven't changed any part at all. And I ran a test to see my disk speed, it was a little bit weird. Because on most of the YouTube videos on how to short stroke your HDD, all the disk speed graphics were stable. Starting from the top to the bottom. Something like this : 

5L1Q5q.png

But my disk was pretty much like this : 

PnZryN.png

(Sorry for bad paint skills)

Really unstable, right? And not just that. Sometimes when my PC slows down, I look at my task manager, my disk usage is at 100%, but the total amount that the tasks are using is like 0.5 mb/s. So it's not because my HDD's average disk speed is slow, but rather it's unstable. Sometimes it's speed is up to 50 mb/s, sometimes as low as 0.1 mb/s. And this is why disabling SuperFetch, Windows Serach didn't help.

So I don't know if it's true but, some people say that this is your hard drive telling you that it's about to fail. Is it? It would make sense, because it's been almost 4 years now.

But just in case it's something else, I would like to solve this problem. If it is how I think, I'm going to have to be patient until I get a new computer.

Thanks in advance. 

EDIT : Oops, I forgot to add this.

Fujitsu LifeBook

2 GB RAM

320 GB HDD

Intel CPU

Onboard Intel GPU

Edited by frusciante54, 26 January 2017 - 09:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

Well it could be a failing hard disk due to age.

Some hard disks can last a long time (I got a 10 year old HDD and it still works) but some can degrade over time especially laptop drives.

Did you check the S.M.A.R.T data of your disk for failures?

http://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 frusciante54

frusciante54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for the answer. I just installed the program and the health seems to be OK I guess :

Yq7g5l.png

This is the result. What now?

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

Well it could be nothing just normal operation, data spikes are not uncommon and stuttering can happen.

I would still keep an eye on it just in case, nothing else can be done until something actually happens.

I mean it could have been an update or something, do you defrag your drive on a regular basis?

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 frusciante54

frusciante54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

Yes, in fact I defragged it 3 days ago. Auto defrag is on, once every week. And I don't think that it's because of an update because after I formatted the disk, I disabled the Windows update. Because for some reason it never works. Seriusly, I try to check for update and it freezes for 20 minutes. It's really frustrating, so I never update. 

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:52 AM

Well perhaps its windows that is your issue, what version are you running?

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 GeroldM

GeroldM

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:56 AM

By using a piece of software like ProcessExplorer (from SysInternals) or similar software, you can see how much time your processor is wasting on I/O interrupts. These interrupts make your computer slow. An excessive amount of these interrupts can be caused by a bad hard disk (either (too many) bad storage blocks or its electronics going bad) or the chips on your motherboard that allow the hard disk to communicate with the rest of the system.

The hard disk is the most likely culprit and is easily replaced. Bad chips on your motherboard are not easily fixed. If, after you replaced the hard disk, you keep having the same problem, chances are that you have bad chips on your motherboard.

Changing a motherboard in a laptop is much more labour-intensive than in a desktop computer and given the age of your system, it might even be impossible to get a replacement motherboard from the manufacturer. Maybe you can get a second hand model on eBay or similar service. Usually it is simpler to get a new device and transfer your data from the old to the new system. Mind you, this course of action is only needed when you have bad chips on your motherboard.

If you exchanged the hard disk and your computer works as you expect, I would suggest you buy a similar sized SSD hard disk, those aren't that expensive anymore and make your Fujitsu work much faster. You will give it a new leash of life

#8 frusciante54

frusciante54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:57 AM

Windows 8. And we all know that if I try to update, there's a 90% chance that it will try to install the updates and will say "Update failed, undoing" because I've tried them once. It takes precious hours away, and I end up with no changes at all.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:00 AM

Windows 8. And we all know that if I try to update, there's a 90% chance that it will try to install the updates and will say "Update failed, undoing" because I've tried them once. It takes precious hours away, and I end up with no changes at all.

Is windows 8 the only version of windows you have or is this a "upgrade"?

Anyhow what GeroldM pointed out is correct and both of us may be right on what is going on here.

Software and OS can mess things up so can the hardware in question.

I would try software first and go up from there

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 frusciante54

frusciante54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

What do you mean by "have"? Because I don't even have the Windows installation DVD. I lost it. I just have it installed on my PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users