Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confusion over the current status of OneDrive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:15 AM

Before Windows 10 I knew where I stood regarding OneDrive and in particular the implications for displaying folders and files for the storage available on my computer. What I have always thought of as the excellent feature of placeholders meant that files could be displayed and selected with only minimal space being occupied. Since that was discontinued I have lost track of what the current status of OneDrive is.

Some time ago MS let it be known it was introducing a replacement for placeholders. What has happened regarding this? A while back I remember finding a menu of options for OneDrive files, such as whether syncing takes place in both or just one direction. I have not found it since. Recently a OneDrive folder has appeared, in which all my OneDrive files were downloaded unasked to my C drive, taking up oodles of space. I want it back but am afraid to just delete the folder in case it deletes everything on OneDrive.

A further issue concerns the OneDrive app available from the Store. I can only launch it directly from the Store itself. Clicking the Tile does not open it, instead it opens the OneDrive folder in Explorer, with a display different to the app which also has a number of extra features.

I have 'let sleeping dogs lie' for too long and now need to get it sorted out. 

Edited by hamluis, 26 January 2017 - 07:01 AM.
Moved from W10 Spt to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:10 AM

@clayto

Try this...
You can manage your One Drive from the link below. Open the link and look for Go to my One Drive. You don't need a Windows Store App. You can Create New, Upload, Share, Download, Move to, Copy to, Rename, Create album from folder, and Embed files in your One Drive Folder.

If One Drive is not installed on your Windows 10 Operating System, (One Drive is installed by default on Windows 10) One Drive download is available from the same page.

Just scroll to the bottom of the page and look for Download in the blue banner.

I hope this aids you, working with One Drive!

Old Rocker

Edited to correct spelling error.
Old Rocker

Edited by old rocker, 26 January 2017 - 10:12 AM.

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

Thanks, it seems to be ok now. I have removed the folder and saved quite a lot of MB. I still hope placeholders or something similar will be re-introduced --- the reason for removing it seems quite lame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users