Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Prime Z270A on order!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:42 AM

After a rather long 'desktop-building-experience' hiatus, a new Asus motherboard (Z270A) and Corsair 100R case (no need for any fancy cases here!) on order...

As I'm ordering things on Amazon and waiting for them to arrive, the parts acquisition will be spread out over a month or so, but, once case and MB arrive, will order 7600K or 7700K (haven't decided yet if I wanna spring the extra $100+ or not....), 32 GB of Corsair DDR4, a Corsair 650 watt PSU (not sure if will ever need more than one gpu), and, even  a simple GPU will go on order after rig is built.

*(As I like to tinker in virtual machines and assorted hypervisors, I might just spring for the extra $120 for the 7700K's hyperthreading and couple extra hundred MHz, as this desktop will need to last a few years!)

Will re-purpose my 850EVO for a main drive (from my laptop), holding off on a Samsung 960EVO purchase to see if the stupid Intel Optane SSDs are ever going to release; I'd hate to pony up money for the 960 EVO and then have the Optane release one month or so later, and be cranking out 5000 MB/sec sequential numbers or something!

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:21 AM

7600K and 7700K are crap quality CPU's (because crappy paste under heatspreader) with no architecture difference to Skylake.

Also in case you want Optane, remember that Z270 chipset is very limited with DMI 3.0 bus between CPU and chipset. Even single NVME x4 disk is enough to fully use that bandwidth.

While AMD's Ryzen X370 platform is also limited with same bandwidth between CPU and chipset, Ryzen CPU has integrated x4 NVME slot, x2 NVME slot (or 2*SATA) and 4*USB 3.0, those do NOT "eat" bandwidth between chipset and CPU.

So if you want invest to future IO, Ryzen is much better choice.

For Optane, x4 NVME is limited to 4 GB/s. And Optane won't be coming to consumer price levels for at least two years.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 26 January 2017 - 05:23 AM.

#3 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

You ordered these parts so close to the release of AMD Ryzen?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

Unless you have a need for 32GB of RAM, I'd suggest cutting it in half to 16GB.  I built my machine with 32GB in 2012 and don't think I've ever used more than half.

#5 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:17 AM

7600K and 7700K are crap quality CPU's (because crappy paste under heatspreader) with no architecture difference to Skylake.

Also in case you want Optane, remember that Z270 chipset is very limited with DMI 3.0 bus between CPU and chipset. Even single NVME x4 disk is enough to fully use that bandwidth.

While AMD's Ryzen X370 platform is also limited with same bandwidth between CPU and chipset, Ryzen CPU has integrated x4 NVME slot, x2 NVME slot (or 2*SATA) and 4*USB 3.0, those do NOT "eat" bandwidth between chipset and CPU.

For Optane, x4 NVME is limited to 4 GB/s. And Optane won't be coming to consumer price levels for at least two years.

You should be permanently banned.

Edited by Zone_86, 29 January 2017 - 06:19 AM.

#6 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:37 AM

You should be permanently banned

Or perhaps, you shouldn't overreact? Just a thought but there is truth as to what Drillingmachine is saying. Besides, we can't change anything now that OP has ordered the MOBO unless he is willing to return in light of Ryzen.

For OP, I'd reccomend a 7600k as you can buy a decent cooler and cooling paste as opposed to the stock ones which aren't great. The performance between the 7600k and 7700k are very similar and not worth the extra 120$ in my opinion so get a 7600k as it will stay as a powerful CPU for years to come. Unless you are using 3D applications (such as gaming), all you need is a relatively inexpensive GPU or you might be able to use your CPU's onboard graphics.

Edited by Planemaster2, 29 January 2017 - 09:42 AM.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

Truth hurts it seems, like here http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-skylake-de-lidded.html

Remember that is over $300 CPU. While crappy paste might be acceptable for under $100 CPU, for over $300 that kind of BS is approved by Intel fanboys only.

Same applies to Kaby Lake too as Kaby Lake is basically Skylake with little tweaks http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-delid-performance-tests/

Not surprising, eh?

Edited by Drillingmachine, 29 January 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#8 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

I never overreact. What I say I really mean. Thing is, Drilling has been relentlessly saying Itel is "crap", "pure crap" and various other metaphors for a very long time in the forums and he's gone completely unchecked by the staff here. No one with any real kowledge of hardware will doubt that Skylake to Kabylake was barely a small advance if any. It was the same from Haswell to Devil's Canyon and shortly after DC release there were BIOS releases on Zed 87's to allow them to accept 4690-4790 series CPU's. 

The Problem isn't what you think you know Drilling it's actually part your relentless Intel trolling (and AMD promoting), and part the fault of Bleeping Staff for not containing it.

#9 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

Truth hurts it seems, like here http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-skylake-de-lidded.html

Remember that is over $300 CPU. While crappy paste might be acceptable for under $100 CPU, for over $300 that kind of BS is approved by Intel fanboys only.

Same applies to Kaby Lake too as Kaby Lake is basically Skylake with little tweaks http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-delid-performance-tests/

Not surprising, eh?

What would I need to remember? Dude I am a mass builder. Been doing it for 18 years. Read constantly. Build constantly. Use AMD and Intel. Have respect for both. You are a forum troll. Enormous difference between you and I. You are looking for replies/retorts in your threads to anyone wanting to use Intel. It seems crappy thermal paste and crap quality, crap build quality are your only qualifiers for Intel. I have been on those sites you linked for a very long time why would I want to click your link and agree that "oh my lord! drilling was right! I see the light now Intel really is crap and you have shown me the way!". You are a "link troll" and an AMD troll. For someone who thinks they are a tech you're grasp of the entire PC enthusiast technical spectrum is very small. You can post links all day until you are red-faced I don't give a hoot. What you are doesn't change one bit.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:04 AM

Well i wouldn't say Intel is crap but he is right that if losing the heat spreader and and cheap paste lowers temps by as much as what i saw in the link then ya i don't know what to say.

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:24 AM

What would I need to remember? Dude I am a mass builder. Been doing it for 18 years. Read constantly. Build constantly. Use AMD and Intel. Have respect for both. You are a forum troll. Enormous difference between you and I. You are looking for replies/retorts in your threads to anyone wanting to use Intel. It seems crappy thermal paste and crap quality, crap build quality are your only qualifiers for Intel. I have been on those sites you linked for a very long time why would I want to click your link and agree that "oh my lord! drilling was right! I see the light now Intel really is crap and you have shown me the way!". You are a "link troll" and an AMD troll. For someone who thinks they are a tech you're grasp of the entire PC enthusiast technical spectrum is very small. You can post links all day until you are red-faced I don't give a hoot. What you are doesn't change one bit.

Read again what I said:

You disagree with that or not?

My point is that internet is full of forum threads or other questions "like why my Intel CPU runs so hot". So I say Intel's CPU quality is crap because:

1. It is.

2. It's something buyers would not except from $300+ CPU.

3. It comes no surprise for those who buy it.

This is exactly same thing as with Intel's stock cooler. I say Intel's stock cooler is crap because:

1. It is.

2. Buyers would except $300+ CPU comes with at least sufficient stock cooler.

3. CPU throttling due to high temps on high loads comes no suprise for those who buy it.

For above reasons, Intel no longer supplies stock cooler with top LGA115x models (like i7-6700K or i7-7700K)

You say I'm troll because I say exact truth and advice people to beware certain bad things on certain products they very probably are unaware of.

I suggest you bring something new to table. Prove my claims are wrong or something. For some strange reason even low end AMD CPU's come with soldered heat spreader while Intel's high end desktop CPU's come with thermal paste solution. So it's a fact that low end AMD CPU have much higher build quality than Intel's newer LGA115x CPU's. That is something normal buyer would not except. Pointing out that fact makes me troll?  :lmao:

#12 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:35 AM

I dont' go back and forth like you do. You can't troll me drillng I suggest instead of me briging anything here, that you instead be fair between both AMD and Intel, and choose your words more wisely. I am going to end our debate here and give this thread back to the OP where it belongs.

#13 MDD1963

MDD1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:06 AM

You ordered these parts so close to the release of AMD Ryzen?

If Ryzen releases and suddenly 'antiquates' Kaby Lake's current abilities, I will assemble another rig around it, no doubt /relegating condemming the Kaby Lake to perhaps light FreeNAS and headless Ubuntu Server /CentOS duties! :)

#14 MDD1963

MDD1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:15 AM

Unless you have a need for 32GB of RAM, I'd suggest cutting it in half to 16GB.  I built my machine with 32GB in 2012 and don't think I've ever used more than half.

Agree that 16 GB would be more than enough for most folks, but I intend to tinker with FreeNAS, Hyper-V/XenServer/KVM/Ovirt/Proxmox, Windows 2012R2/2016, and, would like enough memory to spin up several VMs at one time....just because it's fun to tinker! 

#15 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:17 AM

Oh  .. hey I see what you mean now. I should go out and buy a FX 6300 or FX 8350 because the build quality is higher. In fact I have 4x FX 8350's new in box here next to me. 3x FX 6300's. I always keep in stock with CPU's both AMD and Intel, and unlike you I understand that they are all good for the prices they ask -- other than a 4790k still being $340.00 US. That should have dropped by about $50.00 by now. Yes the heatspreader on the FX series is very good and you can overclock the FX 8350 from 4.0 GHZ to 4.7-5.0 on a $230.00 motherboard and you can get close to the performance of an Intel I7 920 on some occasions with those clocks on the best AMD processor. Imagine that!

Oh yes about Intel omitting the standard heatsink. The I5 6500-6600-6700 (and K) and 7600-7700 (and K) will run extremely cool with even the previous generation Intel heatsinks. Didn't ya know? Have you not built with them yet? Typically (example) an I5 6600 will idle at 25c and max load is around 65c under the most extreme benchmaeks WITH A STOCK INTEL CPU. That is because it's a more efficient chip that than the previous gen. You make it sound like Intel omitted the heatsinks because they run so damn hot and the internet is full of these threads where they run so hot. Not at all. it has nothing to do with that. You are full of cow dookie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users