Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Case of the invisible usb.....&*(^)_!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:27 AM

Yes, I'm sure you have all come across this once before. My situation is different. Before you reply let me explain, the USB is not visible in cmd prompt using Diskpart, disk manager app, and explorer. The only indication is that the chime in windows let's me know I've plugged it in. No the motherboard is not bad. Other same brand usbs all are recognized.

Thanks if you can solve this one. I've check for a while on the web to no avail.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

Is the USB visible when attached to another computer?

#3 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

The USB is at fault. The computer and OS is fine. It does the same on other machines win and Linux machines.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:16 PM

The USB is at fault

Time to throw it away and replace ?

Chris Cosgrove

#5 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

Please consider that a USB drive is usually NVRAM. RAM (both NVRAM and VRAM) can fail. With the low prices of USB drives you should replace it.

#6 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

No, tired of replacing them at nine dollars a piece for 8gig usb. It always happens at a failed format and write. Thanks for the replies. I'll research it more. I know there is a way to fix.

#7 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:37 PM

If you have flash drives dying when you do a specific thing and on the same computer perhaps the cause is related to what you are doing, how you are doing it, or the hardware. I'm not trying to be irritating but many people format flash drives every day and do not have multiple flash drives fail.

Can you give us some more information that we can use to try to help you? What type of USB drives are you having problems with (NVRAM drives or hard drives with USB connections)? How many USB drives have you had that are not working? Did they all stop working after you did a specific thing (formatting, wiping, reading, writing, etc.)? What software did you use when the USB drives failed? Did you buy all of the USB drives at the same time? Are all the USB drives the same make and model?

There is just so much information we don't have and I was very surprised that you responded by writing that you keep having this problem and you implied the problem starts when you do something specific.

If you can provide us answers for the information above that would be extremely helpful.

Edited by packetanalyzer, 26 January 2017 - 08:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users