Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:15 AM

When you get a new motherboard what goes into installing it, besides all the physical stuff such as unscrewing and plugging in
I mean will your harddrive be ok?
or do you have to uninstall any thing that was included in your old motherboard that the hard drive knows
you wouldnt have to uninstall any video drivers though rite? since its in a video card. i mean you would just plug it into the new motherboard or is there more?
i also know you would have to get new ram but what else is there?
just wondering because im a newb and im thinkjng of getting a new one

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:28 AM

Usually when you get a new motherboard you usually just transfer the CPU, CPU cooling fan, expansion cards, and RAM from your old motherboard and reuse them, or buy new ones.

Something to look out for: Most all motherboards that are for sale to the general public have individual headers for the case buttons and leds. But if you are currently using, say, a DELL and want to replace the mobo with a different manufacturer's mobo, notice that the DELL cases don't have individual wires coming from the case to the mobo, no, rather they have a connector.

You will also need some silver paste to put a thin even coat between the CPU and the CPU cooling structure. This can be commonly purchased for about $8 USD a tube, and you will only need about 1/30th of a tube. This is if you are transferring your old CPU. If you are buying new then you probably don't need to purchase the silver paste.

Once you have physically removed the old mobo, and installed the new mobo, then you must install DRIVERS. These are little programs that act as go-betweens between the Operating System and your hardware. Each motherboard uses a different set of Drivers. You new motherboard will come with a disk with drivers on it. Some drivers must be manually installed, others, such as for PC Chips brand mobos will auto-install - a nice feature.

Another consideration: Depending upon what type of Windows license you have with your Operating System, some versions (OEM for instance) are only allowed on ONE computer, no transfers allowed. Well, and here is the bad news, it is possible that because you are changing the motherboard your version of Windows may think it is in a different computer and will not activate. You then will have to call Microsoft and once you tell them that you are using a different mobo you may be out of luck. As Microsoft considers a different mobo a different computer - and like I said they do not allow transfers, even though you are using the same case, hard drive, etc, etc, etc. I have had this happen to me once and it cost $150 to purchase Windows again. Just a heads up.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:43 AM

o ok
thanks this cleared a lot of things up for me

#4 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:30 PM

but it the case of the windows being non-trnsferable
can i just put my old motherboard back in and itll work fine?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users