Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to copy the Windows 7 install DVD to a thumb drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krazykat

krazykat

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:58 AM

Hi,

Unable to copy the Windows 7 install DVD to a thumb drive

I am using Windows 7 PRO X64 desktop.  I have been unable to copy the Windows 7 install DVD (happens to be a Dell OEM full WIN7 PRO X64 DVD) to a thumb drive.  I have tried using Internet explorer and a file management program called “xplorer2” PRO X65 from zabkat.com ( I have used xplorer2 for many years with no problems).

I tried copying the entire DVD by selecting all the folders.  The copy process starts and then in a few minutes I receive an error message “K:\boot\en-us\bootsect.exe.mui  File copy failed   Windows error = 1117:  The request could not be performed because on an I/O device error”.  (Using GOOGLE search I did find some references to the “mui” file extension not being easily copied and some (possible) solutions.)  I click on cancel and the screen dims; the rotating blue circle appears and continues to rotate.  After about 6-7 minutes I use Task manager, which shows the program is not responding, to kill the task.  Same results for both Internet explorer and xplorer2.

As an experiment, I powered down and restarted WIN7.   This time I selected a single folder; size about 100MB ( NOT the boot\en-us folder), on the DVD disk and started the copy process.  Again the copy process started.  This time I did not receive the error message (as expected, since I was not copying the bootsect.exe.mui file).   The copy process was the same, after about 5-6 minutes, the screen dims, the rotating blue circle appears and continues to rotate.  Wait  about 6-7 minutes,  use Task manager, which shows the program is not responding to kill the task.  Same results for both Internet explorer and xplorer2.

MY question:  Is there something unique about copying an Operating System install disk to a thumb drive?   Do I need to use some  (old) DOS  process like XCOPY ?   I have been able to copy files, folders from DVD disks to thumb drives many times

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:49 AM

This is the method    http://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/aubsdt1/SLN153692?docLang=EN

If that doesnt work , it may be the Disc is faulty or scratched etc....

#3 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:54 AM

MY question:  Is there something unique about copying an Operating System install disk to a thumb drive?   Do I need to use some  (old) DOS  process like XCOPY ?   I have been able to copy files, folders from DVD disks to thumb drives many times

It's not a simple matter of creating a data disk.  You want the USB drive to BOOT, and then install Win7 on a target HD.  Most common method I've seen, for years, is Rufus, but it starts with a Win7 ISO.  If it were me, I'd find a method to convert my physical DVD to a .ISO file, and then make a bootable USB drive using Rufus with that.

You should do this anyways.  One scratch and your DVD is useless.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

I am using Windows 7 PRO X64 desktop.

forget about your CD,

all you need to do is download windows 7 pro 64 bit ISO file,

then you create a bootable USB stick using Rufus (which you will also need to download)

#5 spirit2112

spirit2112

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

I am using Windows 7 PRO X64 desktop.

forget about your CD,

all you need to do is download windows 7 pro 64 bit ISO file,

then you create a bootable USB stick using Rufus (which you will also need to download)

Here's the link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

You'll need your product key for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users