Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC randomly freezes and restarts, BSOD, now no signal and constant powering on a

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Modularis

Modularis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:08 PM

I have been having multiple issues with the PC I built at the start of the year.

Specs
CPU: i3-6100
RAM: Corsair Value Select 8gb 2133mhz ddr4
Motherboard: Gigabyte h110m-s2h
GPU: Gigabytell 1050ti Windforce OC
HDD: Western digital 1tb blue 7200rpm

The issues: When I built the PC everything seemed to work fine. I even tested the on board video via dvi-d and VGA, and both worked fine. Over the next couple of weeks, the computer ocasionally froze, blue screened, or just restarted. This only started after I installed intel rapid storage technology. This almost only happened while playing games, but sometimes while watching videos. On a couple of occasions, the PC would suddenly emit a loud noise, sort of like the fans at high speed but significantly louder. When this started it became progressively more and more laggy before freezing completely. I later set the graphics card fans to full speed, and noise was not anywhere near as loud. I tried reseating the GPU, making sure all of the cables were connected properly, clearing the CMOS values. I Uninstaller intel rapid storage technology also. I experienced no more issues for about a week, when the computer froze. I powered it off and back on. I got a message saying the computer needs to be repaired, didn't start correctly. I restarted it, the bios screen appeared, and just froze there. I restarted it again, and the same thing happened. The third time, it progressed past it and blue screened with the code "memory management". The next time I restarted it, the power light came on as usual, and nothing was displayed on the monitor. About 30 seconds later, it powered itself off, and back on. Still nothing displayed on the monitor. It repeated this process several times before I turned it of at the wall. Powering it on resulted in the same. I took out the GPU, and attempted to use the integrated graphics via dvi. No change. I used the VGA cable, and it worked. I plugged the GPU back in and used the HDMI cable with a TV, and it turned on fine. Because the dvi cable didn't work with either the integrated graphics or the GPU, I thought it must be faulty, but I dont't see how that would cause any of the problems I have been having. I tried restarting again with the dvi and the discrete GPU and for some reason it worked again! So I carried on using the computer and later it froze and restarted, and again and wouldn't boot or display anything, just turning on and off, I suppose trying to boot. I then took out the ram, moved it too the other slot, and clearing the CMOS. I cannot get it to turn on again, even using the integrated graphics produces no results, and am all out of ideas. It seems like the motherboard is faulty, but I am not completely sure. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Edit: I connected a motherboard speaker from an old PC, and there are 4 long beeps then one beep that seems to be inturupted by the PC shutting down again.

Edited by Modularis, 26 January 2017 - 06:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:25 PM

1.AWARD BIOS 1short beep :System normal 2 short beep :CMOS Error 1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error 1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error 1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error 1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed 2.AMI BIOS 1 short beep :Memory Error 2 short beep:Memory parity check error. 3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error 4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction . 5 short beep :CPU error 6 short beep:Keyboard error 7 short beep :CPU interruption error 8 short beep:Graphic card error 9 short beep :Memory error 10 short beep :CMOS error 11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

By the way your computer case is what ?

CPU heat sink is what ?

PSU is what ?

Have you tryed booting the computer with min hardwere ?

#3 Modularis

Modularis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

1.AWARD BIOS 1short beep :System normal 2 short beep :CMOS Error 1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error 1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error 1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error 1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed 2.AMI BIOS 1 short beep :Memory Error 2 short beep:Memory parity check error. 3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error 4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction . 5 short beep :CPU error 6 short beep:Keyboard error 7 short beep :CPU interruption error 8 short beep:Graphic card error 9 short beep :Memory error 10 short beep :CMOS error 11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

By the way your computer case is what ?
CPU heat sink is what ?
PSU is what ?
Have you tryed booting the computer with min hardwere ?

Psu is corsair VS650
Heat sink is the stock intel one
Case is the Corsair 200r

Just now I took everything apart, I examined the CPU socket and could not see any bent pins.I reinstalled the ram, heatsink and the cpu, and tried booting without the graphics card or the hard drive connected. Still there is no change, five beeps then restart.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

hemm that can't be good, decent case by the way as well as power supply unit, you try a bios settings reset ?

As well how old this system ?

#5 Modularis

Modularis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:38 PM

hemm that can't be good, decent case by the way as well as power supply unit, you try a bios settings reset ?

As well how old this system ?

It is about 1 month old, and I cleared the CMOS. I suppose something must be faulty, but I don't know what. I would have expected this failure to boot would have started from right after I built the PC, rather than happening after a month of freezing, BSODS and random restarts. I can only assume that the earlier symptoms were caused by the same component failing as the failure to boot.

Edited by Modularis, 26 January 2017 - 10:42 PM.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:52 PM

Other thing that's bad too is in my part of the world stores only have to give you 30 days warranty then your on your own and if theirs extended warranty you have to deal with the original equipment manufactures and that can be hell.

My self if i had the parts i would start to swap out things all over the place just to test things and the pc would be in parts so i could test everything on its own if and when possible, kind of thing that might only be able to be done in a computer shop unless you have a backup computer and or parts.

Thing too from the bios beeps "5 short beep :CPU error" so i might start with that if i was in a pc shop and had a backup cpu, if a shop is nice they could test just that for you for cheap and it wouldn't take em long to do.

As well you in a hot part of the world ? just wondering what the ambient temp is most of the time were you live.

Edited by shadow_647, 26 January 2017 - 10:53 PM.

#7 Modularis

Modularis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

Other thing that's bad too is in my part of the world stores only have to give you 30 days warranty then your on your own and if theirs extended warranty you have to deal with the original equipment manufactures and that can be hell.

My self if i had the parts i would start to swap out things all over the place just to test things and the pc would be in parts so i could test everything on its own if and when possible, kind of thing that might only be able to be done in a computer shop unless you have a backup computer and or parts.

Thing too from the bios beeps "5 short beep :CPU error" so i might start with that if i was in a pc shop and had a backup cpu, if a shop is nice they could test just that for you for cheap and it wouldn't take em long to do.

As well you in a hot part of the world ? just wondering what the ambient temp is most of the time were you live.

Ambient temperature is about 22c currently, I live in New Zealand so its summer at the moment, but it never gets very hot, at least where I live. I don't have any spare hardware suitable for testing the CPU, motherboard or RAM. But I have an old prebuilt HP PC that I can test the power supply on, so i'll do that first before taking it to a computer shop.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

Don't know what to say but test everything you can parts wise, if you have a buddy that can help that has a system like yours that be helpfull for moving parts arond if he/she was cool with it,starting to look like hardware dammage.

YA had to ask about the heat thing, people on this forum know i don't like any of the stock coolers out thier and offten they let the cpu bake if used depending on this, that and the other thing, and that kind of topic can kill cpus given time or make the system unstable or both.

#9 Modularis

Modularis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:34 PM

Don't know what to say but test everything you can parts wise, if you have a buddy that can help that has a system like yours that be helpfull for moving parts arond if he/she was cool with it,starting to look like hardware dammage.

YA had to ask about the heat thing, people on this forum know i don't like any of the stock coolers out thier and offten they let the cpu bake if used depending on this, that and the other thing, and that kind of topic can kill cpus given time or make the system unstable or both.

Thank you for all your help, I'll find a way of testing everything and reply to the post when I find the faulty part and get it sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users