Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't update windows or install new software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 neado

neado

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:51 PM

I've been trying to install a new app and found that the install would hang with no error. I've done a bunch of troubleshooting in the last couple days and can't seem to figure it out. I run into the same issue when I run windows update and system restore. Everything I try to do hangs. The only error I get is when I try to re-install visual c++ is (Error 0x8024001e: Failed to execute MSU package).

I tried Microsoft's chat support but they want money to fix it. What they did say was: 

5:25 PM Tech 1: I see that Windows Installer and Windows source engine services have stopped working in your system. These are essential components to install or update any applications.

5:26 PM Tech 1: Above services are broken due to corrupted Windows System files. They may be corrupted due to computer shutting down abruptly or a errors.

5:26 PM Tech 1: To fix the issues the corrupted system files has to be isolated and repaired manually. Then, any errors that may have had a hand in this should be isolated and removed. Later, the Windows installer and windows source engine has to be reconfigured.

5:27 PM Tech 1: Since we have to invest in several IT resources like errors removal tools and man hours to fix these issues, we do have a charge for our service to get the errors repaired and the issue resolved.

I've repaired the windows installer with no resolution, but I have never heard of the "Windows source engine" and cannot find any reference to it on the net.

Any help would be appreciated..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:45 AM

Have you run a system file check (as admin) ?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

If you have not run sfc /scannow I would suggest that this be the first thing you do.

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

This needs to be run this using an Administrator account.

You will need to open the Command Prompt to run the sfc /scannow.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.  This will open the Command Prompt.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

You will see an image similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key method outlined in the instructions above.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click/tap on this to open the log, copy and paste it in your topic.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 neado

neado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

Thanks guys.

I never bothered with a SFC because it always asks for the CD and I lost mine.

I completed the SFC and am now doing 171 windows updates. It appears to be fixed so far.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users