Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Read Error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 COKeefe

COKeefe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

Sorry looks like I may have posted this in the wrong Forum.

Urgent help needed. I am leaving town tomorrow for a gaming convention and my PC is currently down for the count!

On bootup I am getting a lovely disk read error and cannot figure out how to resolve this. I have a variety of other factors making this fix more difficult.

A little background, this is a computer I built from scratch about 4 years ago. High end budget build at that time and it has run with zero problems until now, not even a single BSOD with brand new RAM, fans, and CPU to be seated and these are problems I have dealt with in the past.

This is my first time with a MoBo that runs UEFI and I'm really unimpressed at the moment. I cannot boot into safe mode as I have moved recently and cannot locate my copy of Windows 7 (w/ free upgrade to 8 so it's both).

The problem started when I got a new monitor last week, I wanted to get ready for the convention because as I said I moved recently and my versions were all out of date. I spent the afternoon updating everything and I restarted to finish installing my video card driver updates (Radeon). Not sure what caused it between updates, new monitor and a relatively new keyboard. The monitor has freesync but my video card was one of the last to not support but I figured it wouldn't matter (may not but I wanted to mention it). I mention the keyboard because it's a Corsair mechanical keyboard that requires USB 3.0 and it does not want to issue keystrokes after my latest round of attenpts at bypassing UEFI to boot into safe mode.

Hard drive is a SSD (Scandisk) with a HDD (WD Raptor I think). The copy of Windows is the only thing on the SSD.

I got home from work an hour ago and tried booting from a system repair disk I got from IT at work but my computer was having none of that.

Since then I cannot get my keyboard to issue any more commands to the computer and I'm stuck. I believe I stil have an old PS/2 keyboard I can use but I'm not sure where to go from here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 COKeefe

COKeefe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:20 PM

Quick update:

I forgot I had to cannibalize my power cord for a TV. I've now swapped it back, but they were both 300v cords. I also flipped the power back and forth on the PSU and I successfully booted from the system restore disk using PS/2 keyboard. It's now trying to run system restore but the screen is on default windows background with no more prompts or any indication that anything is happening.

Edited by COKeefe, 25 January 2017 - 10:22 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:49 PM

A disk read error can indicate a failing drive. You can download the iso of UBCD and either burn a CD or create a bootable USB flash drive with Rufus. You may need to enable Legacy Boot in your UEFI settings in order for UBCD to boot correctly. Your MB may have a boot menu available that will let you select Legacy Mode.

Boot UBCD and at the menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop select Disk Health and run the short/long tests. Disk Health starts GSmartControl. UBCD also has memtest+86 to test memory. Run it for at least six passes.

If you need data off the SSD you can pull it using Parted Magic per this guide.

If you have your Windows 7 key you can download your version of Windows 7 in iso format using this tool. Your AV may flag it but it's a FP. When you run the tool it takes a bit of time before you see the selections.

#4 COKeefe

COKeefe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:04 PM

Thanks John, I will give that a shot here shortly, just need something to write to lol.

In the meantime, system restore has given back some functionality. Still not able to boot fully though, when I tried to boot this last time I had told the system to restore to a previous saved state.

Next boot though and I get 0xc000000f, the boot configuration data for your computer is missing or has errors.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

If the disk is a System Repair Disk for Windows 7 do a startup repair. It may take up to three attempts for startup repair to rebuild the BCD.

#6 COKeefe

COKeefe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

System repair may have done the trick. Successfully loaded into desktop but time will tell if it's stable. Thanks for the help in the meantime!

#7 COKeefe

COKeefe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

Three repair cycles and still getting the boot error. After a minute there it goes to the windows logo.

I can get to my desktop if I run the repair but it feels very slow afterward.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

Did you run the disk and memory diagnostics using UBCD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users