Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop suddenly acts like it doesn't have a battery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 takabok

takabok

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:06 PM

I have a Toshiba laptop, Satellite P55W-C5208-4K, about 1.5 years old, running Windows 10. The battery normally is fine; it lasts a bit over 2 hours. Yesterday I let it run until the battery died and the computer did an auto-shutdown. I later plugged it in, got the orange charging light, which a few hours later turned white indicating a complete charge. I unplugged it and tried to turn it on, but it would not turn on. I plugged it in, and there was quite a delay until the white light came back on. I could then turn on, but was greeted with a white box reading "Date and Time reset to default"--the bios had forgotten everything. After exiting bios it can start and run fine, but as soon as a unplug it it dies, and plugging in and restarting goes to the same reset bios page. So the battery should work but the machine is now acting as if it doesn't have a battery in it at all. It's not the removable kind, although I've opened the case before (to swap in an SSD) and I can get to the battery. Any way for me to fix this?? I don't see how the battery could actually be suddenly dead.

Thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

Those adapter connections to the laptop are prone to getting jammed.  The connector is mounted to the main board and damage can appear as you've seen.  Some mfgrs use a dual supply adapter, one to run the unit and the other to charge the battery.  The connector has small switches that sense when the plug is inserted and switch the voltages.  When things get jammed, it can fail to charge, short out the adapter and battery.  When the BIOS went, that indicated the power drain was beyond normal.  Something shorted.

#3 takabok

takabok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

Those adapter connections to the laptop are prone to getting jammed.  The connector is mounted to the main board and damage can appear as you've seen.  Some mfgrs use a dual supply adapter, one to run the unit and the other to charge the battery.  The connector has small switches that sense when the plug is inserted and switch the voltages.  When things get jammed, it can fail to charge, short out the adapter and battery.  When the BIOS went, that indicated the power drain was beyond normal.  Something shorted.

Thanks for your reply. Well, this sounds bad. Probably irreversible? Any tricks you know of to try to fix it?

And if worse comes to worse--swapping a HDD for an SSD wasn't too hard--do you know if it feasible for an amateur to swap out a battery in a device like this where it's not made to be replaceable, or am I going to have to ship it out and pay a fortune?

thanks again.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:40 AM

It isn't an easy repair on the Toshiba units, the battery is split into a couple locations so replacement is the toughest job to do on those units.  Check out the battery/adapter connector, it may have come unmounted from the board or lifted a trace.

#5 takabok

takabok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:11 PM

Well I'd like to follow up on this in case anyone with similar symptoms comes across this thread. I opened the laptop case and saw that the battery actually looked very simple to replace. I found a replacement online (a Toshiba original, for $85) and ordered it, not sure if this would solve the problem or if there was something else wrong. I swapped the new battery in, and it worked like a charm! I still have no idea how my old battery (which wasn't that old) suddenly fried itself, but with the new battery it's totally fine. Thanks again to mjd420nova for help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users