Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got Create Recovery on USB drive, but won't start from USB.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:47 PM

I tried downloading Dell recovery this morning. But I downloaded onto a DVD, but I found out that the DVD only holds 4.7 GB. So I got a 16 GB USB drive, and then I downloaded again, after asking Dell support for a new link. Well after downloading for a while, it stopped. So I clicked resume. But after the download, it wouldn't work. So I then used Create Recovery. I got it onto the drive.

After that, I then tried to boot from within Windows 10.  It then restarted, and it me about four options. I chose use a device.  I then click on EFI USB DEVICE.  When I do, it then ask me to choose my keyboard layout. After I do that, it then shows choose an option. 1 is continue, and you exit to Windows 10 2 is use a device. It is for usb, or DVD. 3 is troubleshoot, and 4 is turn off your PC.

I don't know what I did wrong.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 17 5000.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

Please provide us with some background information. 

I understand that you must have some type of problem which prompted you to use the recovery media, but what was the problem?

Can you boot into Windows 10?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

I can boot into Windows 10. I want to make a backup, and then put Linux on there. Then have Windows 10 as a virtual machine.  I started a thread on the Linux forum.  I want to try to have a baukup of the Dell OS, so I can have it as a VM.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

Please follow the instruction at below url link.

"Create Windows 10 recovery media for your Dell computer"
http://www.dell.com/support/article/tr/tr/trbsdt1/SLN297924

Posted Image

#5 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

Ok, I checked the USB, and it said Fat32. I then had it shred, and did the create recovery again. I had it reformatted to NTSF first, then did the create recovery. After it was done, I then restarted the computer, and it did the same thing as before.  After I started it back up, I then typed ThisPC. Then I right clicked the USB, and chose properties.  It now says file system FAT32  It also says 6.95 GB free of 14.9 GB. But the USB holds 16 GB. But it says 14.9 GB. 

In used space, it says 8,588,353, 536 bytes. Free space 7,472,685,056. When I clicked on the USB, it shows this.

boot

efi

sources

bootmgr

bootmgr.efi

reagent

So thats what is showing. Not sure what I did wrong.

If I click on EFI network, it will startup. But not if I click on EFI USB Device. I just now chose EFI network. It shows me 2 options. Both look almost the same, but the top one says Pv4, and the bottom one says Pv6.

#6 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

Ok, tonight, I put the USB drive into the laptop. I then click on ThisPc, and then I right clicked on the Recovery(E), to check the properties. It said NTFS. I then did Create Recovery. After it ran for a while, I then checked the properties of the USB drive. It said FAT32. So my USB keeps changing to FAT32. But each time I reformat it to NTSF. Anybody know what I can do?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

Format the flash drive to NTFS and then create the recovery media.

Press the Window key and the X key together.  In the menu that opens select Disk Management.

In Disk Management locate you flash drive under Volume and right click on it.  In the menu that opens select Format and choose NTFS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

Ok, I jist did that. When I reformat, it deletes every thing in the flash card. After the create recovery is over, the flash card goes back to FAT32. It is a PNY brand. That is the flash card. I got just a few days ago.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

Are you receiving any error message while trying to format the drive?  Such as "Windows was unable to complete the format"?

#10 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

No, but I did something different today. I contacted Dell, and I ask an employee for the download link. She gave me the link, and I downloaded it onto Firefox, instead of IE11. She logged into my computer, and helped me some. I had to download a Rufus tool. After I finished talking to her, I restarted the computer. Then I started it in Bios. I did something, and it reinstalled Windows. I didn't have much on the computer. Just Speccy, Firefox, and Adobe flash.

Now I see on the screen choose language. So I click on English. Then keyboard layout. Then I have 2 options. Troubleshoot, and turn off your PC. I then click on troubleshoot, and I have 3 options. Reset this PC, Recover from a drive, and Advanced options. Which one should I choose? Fixing to get off, but will be back on around 5;45 PM ET.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

If you reinstalled Windows 10 from the BIOS I suspect that you did a reset.  If you did this successfully you don't need to do a reset, just exit the installation and restart the computer.  If the reset was successful you are good to go.

#12 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

Ok, I have it go onto the harddrive. But it still shows the same thing. When I turn the computer on, it shows 4 blue squares. It then ask me what language, the keyboard layout. Then it shows me troubleshoot, and turn off your computer.  So I don't know what I did wrong, or what to do.

#13 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

I think I found the problem. After each reinstall, the screen turns black, and theres a bunch of words. One of them says no cable. So I think I will have to hook up the cable for it to finish. I had it on wi-fi.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

Is the installation media still in the computer?

If it is you should remove it and restart the computer.  At this point you don't need to change the boot order back to the way it was because the boot order will recognize that the installation media is no longer available as the first device in the boot order and will automatically move on to the second device in the boot order which should be the ssd/hdd.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

I think I found the problem. After each reinstall, the screen turns black, and theres a bunch of words. One of them says no cable. So I think I will have to hook up the cable for it to finish. I had it on wi-fi.

Any time you post an error message you need to post the exact message.  If you don't we don't have enough information to address the error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users