Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Really Need Advice And Help:)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jenniferl

jenniferl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:16 AM

Hi!!

I'm new to this forum. I did some searches on the net, and found the users on here very knowledgable.

I'm having a problem with an ex boyfriend and wondering if anyone can make some suggests, or even explain to me why/ how he's doing what he is doing.
:thumbsup:
Somehow on Google searches, he knows everything I type into the search bar. He lived with me for three months, he's from England by the way and is back home now. But he must have done something to my computer because he can see everything I type in...nothing is private, he will copy and paste it and send it in emails to me, to show off that he can see it. He can also go into my email accounts, AOL and GMAIL and check all of my mail and make changes, NO MATTER how many times I change the passwords!! Worst yet, he can go into my personal accounts, such as Sprint, credit cards, phone company, Net Flix, you name it..nothing is sacred anymore
It's really getting annoying. I've contacted a few companies, Spring, NetFlix and Vonage, and they told me, that the only way he can get into my accounts is if he knows my passwords???? I don't know how he is guessing my passwords, I'm coming up with the most random stuff possible.....and he can still get in????

So, just wondering, if there is ANYTHING I can do to have a private life again?? I would appreciate any responses as to how in the heck he's doing it, and if there is anything I can do about it??? Thanks :flowers:

ps..I'm really sorry, I know that I'm not supposed to just right things like help in the title, but I wasn't sure how to word it because I don't even know what is happeneing..I appoligize

(Moderator edit: changed topic description for clarification of problem. Post moved to more appropriate forum with similar problem. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 31 August 2006 - 03:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:53 PM

Don't apologise.
There is another member with a similar problem, so review the discussion in this thread which may be helpful to you as well:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/63861/being-in-the-hands-of-a-hacker/

Most importantly, don't panic. Our members will be able to help you.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,703 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

I have some ideas that may help, but before I start giving a list of things to do, I need to know if you have access to a different computer that isn't compromised.

In addition: Do you have any security programs on your computer? If so, what are they?

Please follow the suggestions jgweed has outlined in the other thread. Make those changes when you are not connected to the internet. Manually unplug the internet connection if necessary to disconnect.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 jenniferl

jenniferl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:05 PM

Hi Orange Blossom,

Yes, I do have access to another computer...it's at my mom and dad's house.

I don't know what security features I have on my computer?? Where would I find those?

I did follow the suggestions, I went into system properties and made sure allow remote assistance tab wasn't clicked on. I was suprised when it wasn't. When I read that, I thought, oh , that's what he did, but no.

I tried to reset my resident firewall but I still can't figure it out. I'm trying to still work on that.

Thank's for the responces jgweed and orange blossom:) I really do appreciate it!!!!!!!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

Do you turn your computer off when you are not using it? Their has to be a program such as a keylogger or one that allows him to remote access your computer. It doesn't have to be Windows remote access program. Look in your Add/remove list and go over each one. Everyone that you don't know what it is, Google it to find info on it. Download and install AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy. Both of these can identify keyloggers. After installing them, run them in regular mode and safe mode. If you don't have a firewall other than the Windows firewall, install Zone Alarm Free. Install AVG free if you don't have an antivirus program installed.
How many user accounts are on the computer? Have you allowed anyone else besides yourself to presently use your comp.? Have you changed the computer logon password?
When you have the security programs installed and updated, disconnect from the internet before running them.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/comp...reeDownload.jsp
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Hopefully you can find how he is doing this and stop it. If not, you will have to clean your harddrive and reinstall
Windows. Please let us know how it is going or if you need any help installing or running the programs. You may also want to get law enforcement involved. After all, most states have stalking laws and certainly if he is using your accounts for financial gain that is stealing.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,703 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:02 PM

I would add to what buddy215 has said.

1) It is in the add/remove programs area that you will find out what security programs if any you have installed on your computer.

2) Download any new security programs on your folks' computer to a disk or thumb drive and install the programs from the disk. It may be a good idea to scan your computer even before updating the security programs just to get rid of as much as possible before connecting to the internet. Do as many of the scans as possible in Safe Mode. See step 5 for a link to how to get into safe mode. Make sure the third party firewall is up and running before connecting to the internet and updating the security programs. Stay disconnected from the internet as much as possible.

3) The reason for a third party firewall is to prevent out-going information that you haven't authorized. Malware and trojans that get on your computer will frequently send out personal information. The Windows firewall only protects you from incoming threats.

4) Inform the credit card companies, banks etc. that you have been a victim of identity theft through computer hacking. The hacker is certain to have account numbers, user names etc. I would have all account numbers changed, and change all user names and passwords. Do not put any of this new information on your computer until it is disinfected.

5) In addition to the programs that buddy215 has mentioned, I would add Edwido. Instructions for going into safe mode and download and use information for Edwido can be found here: Run Ewido in

"SAFE MODE". Use these instructions to make sure it is configured properly for scanning.

Edwido will pick up on worms, trojans and perhaps some key-loggers that Spybot and Ad-Aware will miss.

6) What browser are you using? It is crucial that all private information is deleted: passwords, cookies, temporary files, cache, history, auto-complete. Knowing which browser you are using will help in guiding you to clearing that information off your system.

Before thinking about reformatting the computer, I would strongly suggest posting a HiJack This log, but do these other things first and let us know what you find.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users