Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network adapters won't load, not sure if there's malware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 CoastalData

CoastalData

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

Hello,

A friend brought me his computer, none of the internal NIC ports are recognized by Windows 7. It is a fancy gaming motherboard, an asus p7p55d that has two on-board NIC ports -- one of them has both link lights on all the time, usually a sure sign that there is an error/fault in the NIC controller or something. I tried 2 different PCI cards in it, both get good link lights when plugged in, but neither were recognized by windows... they were both old, an RTL card, and a Linksys. So, I bought a USB wifi adapter, and voila! Finally got the system back on the internet, and wondering if a cleaning can help get the drivers back in order.

I can also upgrade this system to Windows 10, but probably should get it clean first. 

Could you please look over my logs and see if anything jumps out at you?

Thanks in advance!

--Jon

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:44 AM

Your logs look perfectly clean.

Your remaining issues are not malware related, if you need still help, please start a new topic at our MS Windows forum section.

Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Cheers,
Jo
If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 36 hours please send me a PM.

#3 CoastalData

CoastalData
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

Hello, thank you very much, I did run JRT and ADWCleaner on the system, and found a few small things, but they were all located in temp folders, and I was ultimately able to get the a PCI NIC to work in the system as well.

Again, thank you for your help!

#4 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

Does this mean that your problem is solved now?

Can I close this Topic?

Cheers,
Jo
If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 36 hours please send me a PM.

#5 CoastalData

CoastalData
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

Yes, thank you!

#6 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

Cheers,
Jo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users