Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software with new laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 woodcamp

woodcamp

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

I want to buy this laptop for my daughter, she doesn't play games but the rest looks it'll fill her needs.

My question. Since it has "Windows 10 Home X64, will she need Home & Office  and/ or Office 365 or are they included?

HP Pavilion 15 Touch 4K Gaming Laptop (Intel i7-6700HQ, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, NVIDIA GTX 960M 4GB, 15.6" 4K UHD, Windows 10) High Resolution Touchscreen Best for Video Editing

• Processor: Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad Core Processor (6MB Cache, 2.6GHz-3.5GHz) 45W
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz | Hard Drive: 128GB Solid State Drive + 1TB 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive
  • Optical Drive: None | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5 | Display: 15.6" UHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED 4K Display (3840 x 2160)

Thanks in advance

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

You would need to purchase a license for Windows Office. Microsoft does have a free version of Office 365 that requires an online account. There is also Google Docs that includes a document writer and spreadsheet. In fact Google Docs is used by many colleges for collaborating between students.

There are free alternatives

Libre Office

WPS Office Free

Softmaker Free Office

If your daughter is a student Microsoft offers Office 365 for free or at a deep discount.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 January 2017 - 06:23 PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

If your daughter is a college student and is going to anything other than a very small college odds are that her educational institution has an arrangement with Microsoft to sell Microsoft Office Educational (or whatever they're calling it these days) in the bookstore.  At this point it would probably just be the license key and you download the software, but the Educational versions are often far more complete than "Home & Student" and similar because they're hoping to build a dedicated user base for some of the more expensive bits of the office suite.

I can't stand any of the subscription versions of Office.  Of course, I'm still using Office 2010 because it still meets all my needs.  It's possible to get new copies of the Professional versions of Office 2010 and Office 2013 for a song these days, and either is probably way more than any student would need.

As John_C21 has already mentioned there are a number of open source or freeware office suites as well.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 woodcamp

woodcamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

My daughter is well past college. But I appreciate the help. I've been saying for over 25 years, they're out of the house but not the wallet

Jim

Edited by woodcamp, 25 January 2017 - 09:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users