Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shrinkage--Is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Mecha-Bitchasaurus

Mecha-Bitchasaurus

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

Hi everyone,

So I just bought this cheap Lenovo N22 Winbook. I had a netbook before just for backing up my iTunes. I don't use a PC much at home...

Anyways, I didn't get that Win10 is *ginormous* like of epic proportions, before I bought this little crap-gnat. It's supposedly got 32GB of SSD memory but Windows is hogging all but like 1.5GB I use external TB drives to store all my data--always have. But with this new Lenovo, it is so stuffed full of Windows I can't download iTunes.

I've tried everything I can think of including tricking iTunes into installing onto my TB drive or a 128GB flash drive...it won't fall for it. I have literally deleted every single piece of everything on the C-drive leaving only Windows, but it still shows less than 3GB available, and of course iTunes won't download.

Is there any way to strip Windows down further so I have enough room to install iTunes? Maybe remove language packs or help files? I haven't gotten to that kinda stuff yet...just got rid of programs and documents on the C-drive. I don't need a ton more room--maybe another 3GB--just enough to let iTunes install itself.

I have CopyTrans that I use to put media into/out of my iPhone but that won't run without iTunes driver files, so I'm still boned. I'm in the process of attempting to install CopyTrans driver files only but even they're too large to fit onto the C-drive. {{sigh}}

I've had this pc about a month now and the stores return policy is 15 days--plus I tossed the box. I assumed when I bought it a 32GB SSD drive would be more than enough to hold Windows and iTunes, but I was wrong.

I'm desperate for any suggestions. Should I try stripping down Windows and getting rid of parts of it? I've compressed the drive multiple times but I can't squeeze anymore space out of it--and Lenovo says it's not upgradable. So I'm kinda stuck with this useless ugly paperweight.

I'm open to any ideas you guys might have to get this thing even semi-functional.

TY in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

It is best to simply purchase a 256GB - 500GB SSD.  Unless you are sevenforums power-user Callender or eightforums power-user dalchina -- attempting to strip down Windows 10 will most likely lead to you reaching for your Windows 10 DVD or ISO for a total reinstall.  It's not you -- it's Windows.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 January 2017 - 05:00 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

It's not you it's Windows like RolandJS said. Win7 is about 15GB, Vista is roughly 10GB and Win10 is about 25GB.

Your best bet would be to buy a HDD and install it into your Lappy, if there is a space for a regular HDD be it an SSD or an HDD. you'd need a 2.5" Internal laptop drive. 

I ran into the same issue before my laptop died and i got on this one. 32GB SSD was NOT enough space. so i bought a normal HDD and installed my programs to that, instead of C:\.

I did have to create new folder inside the HDD for 32bit/64bit programs like windows does by itself.

It's best to just have the OS on the SSD and your programs on the spare

Edited by Viper_Security, 25 January 2017 - 05:15 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 Mecha-Bitchasaurus

Mecha-Bitchasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

It is best to simply purchase a 256GB - 500GB SSD.  Unless you are sevenforums power-user Callender or eightforums power-user dalchina -- attempting to strip down Windows 10 will most likely lead to you reaching for your Windows 10 DVD or ISO for a total reinstall.  It's not you -- it's Windows.

Ty for ur reply..much appreciated!
Just to clarify, cuz I'm a Mac girl...I haven't hacked a pc since the iPhone was invented.haha So I can plug in another SSD in addition to the one in there now? I took it apart last weekend and took pics...there's an empty slot where it appears u could plug in an SSD...I'd post a pic if I wasn't downloading and working off of 3 devices.lol When i chatted with a Lenovo rep, she said it can't be upgraded...but I was talking ripping out the original SSD and sticking in a new one and reinstalling Windows if needed...but she said it can't be done. What I'm understanding you to say is that I could just plug in another SSD into that open slot? So there'd be then 2 internal SSD drives?(sorry if my grammar is wrong, like I say it's been years since I've franken-hacked a pc lol)
So if that is correct there'd be two drives inside, Windows would be able to share between the two? No reinstall needed? That would be sweet if I could just plug in another SSD!

#5 Mecha-Bitchasaurus

Mecha-Bitchasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:33 PM

It's not you it's Windows like RolandJS said. Win7 is about 15GB, Vista is roughly 10GB and Win10 is about 25GB.

Your best bet would be to buy a HDD and install it into your Lappy, if there is a space for a regular HDD be it an SSD or an HDD. you'd need a 2.5" Internal laptop drive. 

I ran into the same issue before my laptop died and i got on this one. 32GB SSD was NOT enough space. so i bought a normal HDD and installed my programs to that, instead of C:\.

I did have to create new folder inside the HDD for 32bit/64bit programs like windows does by itself.
That makes sense too! I tried rolling it back to 8.1 with my CD but Windows wasn't having it.lol

It's best to just have the OS on the SSD and your programs on the spare

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

Spoiler

Correct, the INTERNAL 32GB SSD can not be removed (it's a chip) but you can always add another HDD/SSD to an open SATA port if available. 

and Yes, Windows will be able to share between them, you may have to format the NEW SSD/HDD but after that it should have zero issues "talking" to the other SSD/HDD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That makes sense too! I tried rolling it back to 8.1 with my CD but Windows wasn't having it.lol "  

Yes it does not like that, i had a computer here yesterday that kept refreshing and then reverting. all day haha.

Edited by Viper_Security, 25 January 2017 - 05:41 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#7 Mecha-Bitchasaurus

Mecha-Bitchasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for the great info guys! I ordered my sdd last night so I can install it friday. I made sure it matches the pic I took of the open slot. 

I got a flash drive too just in case i need to do a windows media creation tool assist thing--haha but it won't allow me to even create the media tool because the drive's so full. Seriously this thing is just horribly irritating....people who work on these things for a living should be given sainthood!haha 

I'll let you know how the ssd install goes Friday.

Thanks again all!!! :)

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

No Problem That's What we're here for! Keep us updated on the progress! 

hQBT2G3.png

#9 Mecha-Bitchasaurus

Mecha-Bitchasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

ok, so the ssd came and i popped it in, no problem. There was supposed to be a screw to hold the end in but damned i could find one anywhere so I borrowed one from the cover over the ram cards. So the card is in no problem.

But there is a problem. Windows doesn't recognize it, it's not in bios and it's not in the windows device manager. fml:(

I looked to see if there were drivers on the samsung website but they don't give any downloads--they all just circle back to a product sellsheet page--useless...

So any steps to take to make windows recognize that i'm giving it a new brain??? before I punt it into the street.....

#10 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

haha, i figured that might happen, you need to format it. 

Is it visible under "Disk Management" it SHOULD says "Unallocated space" and the "bar" should be black. you'd have to "create" the partition.

could you possibly upload a screen shot of "Disk Management" ? 

glad to hear there were no issues installing the ssd

hQBT2G3.png

#11 Mecha-Bitchasaurus

Mecha-Bitchasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

nothing works on this end. i'm on 3 devices and nothing will let me upload to this site. i have no idea why.

the drive manager shows my external hd, my thumb drive, and the internal drive but not the new one of 256 gb. I've looked for it everywhere.

the only thing with a black bar is the thumb drive showing 16mb reserved for that sector.

is there some way to force windows to find the ssd or is this maybe the wrong brand? it's samsung and it fits perfectly...there's a wide section with a bunch of pins and a smaller section with like 6 pins so it obvs fits correctly--and i made sure it was in firmly before putting the screw in the end and putting the cover back on. 

no idea where to go from here....

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

With Windows you can configure downloads to go anywhere that you want. Just go into file explorer, go to the music folder (this has to be done separately for pictures, videos, downloads, documents etc.) and go to properties and go to location. You can have any file set to go to any physical drive you want, internal or external. It just takes a minute and it is set forever.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Mecha-Bitchasaurus

Mecha-Bitchasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

ok got a screenshot....:)

Attached Files

#14 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

Okay, so which is which? 

which one is your INTERNAL ssd? ( Disk 0 i can see)

which one is the NEW ssd you just bought?

I'm assuming disk 1 is your TB Drive(be it 1 or 2 TB), and disk 2 is your new ssd?

hQBT2G3.png

#15 Mecha-Bitchasaurus

Mecha-Bitchasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

disk 0 is the original internal that windows is on

disk 1 is the 2 TB external