Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem installing OS via USB

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mml41990

Mml41990

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

BSOD https://imgur.com/a/JXte7

I have an older PC: Dell Optiplex 170L with 2x 256 RAM sticks, 2.8gh processor, pretty sure came with XP SP3 Professional. At some point it became bogged down with malware and garbage files, I simply decided to wipe and reinstall with a smaller OS that was still XP based. I found the .ISO for the OS I wanted and used my .ISO burning software to burn it to a USB to boot at BIOS. I ran into a plethora of issues that have mostly been troubleshot and bypassed, but I cannot figure out how to get it to not BSOD as soon as the installer tries to boot.
Between: 2 different 8gb USB Lexar Thumbdrives, 3 different OS .ISO files (Rev9, Rev11, Windows XP SP3) that have been redownloaded multiple times on 2 separate PCs, 3 different mounting software (Rufus, PEtoUSB, UltraISO), Upgrade to 1x 1gb ram stick, Tweaking BIOS settings
I cannot get it to actually initiate the install. It will blue screen with "Windows Setup" and unpack everything for the install, but will BSOD as soon as it gets to the "Starting up Windows" which, I assume, will start the actual hard install of the OS onto my HDD, that has since been completely wiped and overwritten (7 passes) with random values.
Extensive internet searches have brought me to 3 solutions which either don't work, are not applicable, or I don't want to use (will elaborate).
Option 1: re-download and re-mount .ISO as files may be corrupted (tried it a dozen times through various means)
Option 2: enter BIOS settings via F2, change option in "Integrated Devices" from SATA to ACPI or IDI or something to that extent (there are no such options in my BIOS setup)
Option 3: faulty hardware (If this is my problem then I'd rather not even bleep around replacing parts on a 12 year old PC, but I also find it a little hard to believe that a PC, whose hardware was perfectly fine a week ago, suddenly is malfunctioning because of the install of a new OS)
There was also a mention of BIOS virus, but I used 4 different anti-malware programs (CCleaner, Avast, Malwarebytes, Windows Defender) to scan for malware system wide and fully wiped the HDD (which I know wouldn't affect the BIOS) so there should be zero malware.
I just want ANY OS back on my PC
PS: there is no disk drive, USB is my only option.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

Open the computer and look at your HDD. If it's SATA XP SP3 does not have native SATA drivers on the install media. The SATA mass storage driver needs to be slipstreamed in the Windows XP install.

This could also be a memory problem. You can verify it by booting an iso of UBCD and doing a memory test using Memtest+86.

To verify the sata issue you can temporarily install a linux distro. For 512MB of RAM I would start with Mint Xfce. If that installs without an issue then it's possibly a required SATA driver.

#3 Mml41990

Mml41990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

The connection from Mobo to HDD is IDE ribbon. Memtest says memory is good. It's weird, "Damn Small Linux" seems to boot from the USB just fine, although the resolution is all screwed up.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

See this post. Use first link and see if that solves the problem.

#5 Mml41990

Mml41990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

BSOD at install, still :/

It's def not related to faulty .Isos, this is the 4th or 5th .ISO I've downloaded and they all BSOD after it unpacks everything, before it actually installs the OS.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

Is the ribbon cable 80 wire or 40 wire? If 40wire I would change it to 80wire. Try replacing the drive with a SATA and see if you still get a BSOD using my link.

#7 Mml41990

Mml41990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

Solved: I found a dusty old DVD drive in a box and hooked it up and ram the XP installer via a CD-R I burned the ISO onto. It booted and ran the setup and install with zero hiccups. I noticed that the installer unpacked some files for USB, I wonder if they were some kind of drivers that would have allowed the .ISO to install from the USB, but aren't built into the USB, because it's a 12-15 year old PC with stock USB ports that are probably USB1.0. To think this option was so quick and simple, and I fiddle farted with it for over a week trying to boot from USB. Damn technology....

Thank you JohnC_21 for your assistance. You're the only one who bothered to try to help across 4 forums, so, kuddos sir.

Edited by Mml41990, 25 January 2017 - 06:34 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

No problem, and nice troubleshooting. Thanks for the update and glad you got it sorted. According to the specs you do have USB 2.0 ports.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/us/products/optix/170L_spec.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users