Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Photo App

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Samemura

Samemura

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

When I plug my camera into my new windows 10 machine, and i am uploading the photos the date shows as incorrect... example it is 1/25/17 now and it loads them as 3/14/16... to be clear system settings are correct, the photo app is the incorrect entity here, and it will not allow into the properties menu by right clicking on the app... deleting the app through powershell doesn't fix the problem because then i cant upload my photos the way i want... does anyone have a work around to be able to fix the date on the uploads? Thanks for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

Have a look here (click in thread to see all replies)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_apps-insider_photos/windows-10-photo-app-wrong-dates/f4856dc9-0bf6-4a4d-9006-7339ec20e6dd

#3 Samemura

Samemura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

yes, TY, i have read that thread and the most telling reply was this:

"With so many comments here, the problem IS NOT with the owner's computer, the problem is with the

Windows 10 Photo app!  Nothing on the settings of that app show how to adjust or correct the wrong dates that the app is labeling when new pics are downloaded to it.

This was working just fine when I upgraded to Windows 10 through the Geek Squad in Feb 2016.

But since July 2016, every time I add new photos from my camera to my desktop, it prints odd months and dates, all in 2017!!!!

My computer date is correct at 8/20/2016 and the time is correct also.

The problem is with the Photo app which users cannot fix.

You need to address that and not ignore these comments!

I am a long time customer of Microsoft products and this truly frustrates me!

Help us, don't just keep asking questions!!!!!!!!"

That is why i am wondering if anyone knows how to fix this or is microsoft just gonna continue to say F U to all the loyal customers? it is bs to have to go back and change the dates because they removed the functionality for the average user

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

First, I'll preface this with I abso-friggin'-lutely despise the Win10 Photo App for a multitude of reasons, and this is one of them.

I was having the same problem with my partner's camera when it uploaded.  What "the problem" (which shouldn't be a problem) was is that the Win10 Photo App expects that the camera will have date format set as YYYY-MM-DD (or with slashes or dots, the point is it wants a 4 digit year, followed by 2 digit month, followed by 2 digit day).  Once I set the date format on the camera to this format things at least began uploading correctly as far as date sorting goes.  Even the way they don't break things down by day (or at least I couldn't get that level of refinement) makes me furious.

When I closely examined what was happening, and I believe we had MM-DD-YYYY format on the camera set originally, is that it began "sliding over" by one or more character positions when it could not make sense of what it thought should be YYYY at the beginning of the camera's date format.  At the time I did figure out a way that it was behaving that made comprehensible what was happening, but still did not make it at all reasonable that an app the might be loading from multiple cameras that could use any number of date formats (and time formats) would not attempt to analyze what format it had before doing anything and adjusting its actions correctly.

Edited by britechguy, 25 January 2017 - 02:50 PM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 Samemura

Samemura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

the problem with the date code in the camera being used is that in my cameras case anyway, it uses batteries to operate, old school i know, but it is what it is and every time i put new batteries in the camera resets its date code, so i don't know why they don't build in a function where you as a user can decide what you would like to entitle a set of photos instead of the app deciding some arbitrary number

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

While this is not a strictly Windows answer, at least this part, apart from a DSLR we have two pocket Canon Powershots which also run on batteries. They never lose the date function because they have a small mercury or lithium cell to maintain services while you change the main batteries. Worth checkiing the manual for your camera to see if you too have such a battery fitted, it may be completely dead.

Britechguy and I have almost identical opinions of the Win 10 Photo App, and it is not a good one. His preferred solution is the FastStone viewer, mine is Irfanview, both free downloads. Have a look at the web-sites and give them a try. -

http://www.faststone.org/

http://www.irfanview.com/

Chris Cosgrove

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:09 PM

Samemura,

I just want to make clear that I am not being an apologist, in any way, for the absolutely ridiculous behavior(s) of the Win10 Photo App.  I was sharing my discovery, and nothing more.  I'm of the same mind that you are.

But because I found a bug that fundamental in the app, and didn't like a number of other features (or the lack thereof), I found an alternative, which Mr. Cosgrove has already mentioned.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#8 Max-from-DeskRoll

Max-from-DeskRoll

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

I'd add XnView to the list of great free image view apps: http://www.xnview.com/en/

Edited by Max-from-DeskRoll, 25 January 2017 - 09:32 PM.

#9 Samemura

Samemura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

Thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users