Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Arch drops 32bit support :(

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2017-January/028660.html

Really bad news as i really like Manjaro but no 32bit support is not good as some apps are still 32bit only and who knows if 32libs will vanish

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

Related (yet unrelated!), I kinda agree with you, Madman.

Despite certain of our 'associates' proclaiming loudly to all who'll listen that 32-bit is dead, is insecure, and is way past its sell-by date, I feel there's going to be a place for 32-bit stuff for some time to come yet.

64-bit has been out for around 10 years or so. Everything prior to that was 32-bit ( with a very few, esoteric, exceptions to the rule.) Curiously, everything built in the last 10 years has been of increasingly shoddy build quality, as the manufacturers have taken 'built-in obsolescence' to their hearts, as a means of increasing their sales & profits.

Conversely, most stuff that's over 10 years old seems to have been built with the intention that it should last for a decent number of years. Which gives us the situation that everything that's 'built to last' automatically runs on the older architecture.....

My 'rig' is something of an anchronism. Built at the end of Compaq's independence, it was early 64-bit architecture.....but was very definitely built to last. And despite lots of modernising & upgrading, I still prefer to run 32-bit Pups to 64-bit ones. The 64-bitters aren't slow by any stretch of the imagination.....yet on this rig, the 32-bit Pups simply scream.

Most of the Puppy community are in the same boat, since Pup's original 'mission statement' was that of 'keeping elderly hardware viable and still useful'. And that's as true today as it's ever been..... :thumbup2:

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 25 January 2017 - 01:59 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,238 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

I can't even run 64bit on my old AMD Athlon XP. It's even getting harder to find a browser that can run without requiring the SSE2 extension.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,795 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

Yeah so much for old hardware.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

You're in a wee bit of a cleft stick there, John.

K7 only supported SSE.

Intel's P4s supported SSE2s. (Which is what you need.)

With the K8s, AMD jumped straight to SSE3s. They never had a direct equivalent to the P4, in terms of like-for-like instruction sets.....not with the 'bread-and butter' P4s, anyway.. The 'Emergency Editions' (with the HyperThreading, insanely fast clock speeds, and jaw-dropping TDPs, etc) were brought out as Intel's response to the first Athlon64s. Because for the first time, Intel had been caught totally 'flat-footed'....with their pants round their ankles, to boot!

Unfortunately, as I expect you're all too aware, the XP is the best CPU you'll get for socket 462..... Just out of curiosity (and I'll probably get my knuckles rapped for going 'off-topic' :P ), what browser do ya use?

Elderly FF, or Chrome prior to version 33, yes? (Just at a guess...)

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 25 January 2017 - 03:16 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,238 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

I am using FF ESR 45 which fortunately still works with a CPU without SSE2. Support for 45 will not last that much longer though. 

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

I am dual booting the computer with Ubuntu and for Ubuntu I have to use FF ESR also. The computer is getting long in the tooth as they say.

#7 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

Oh no, Anyone know if that will include BlackArch? :( because i have an old lappy that is only 32bit. so should i download it now (again) just in case?

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:59 PM

@Viper:-

I should if I were you.....just to be on the safe side..!

@John:-

Now that surprises me..! I thought Mozilla had caught up with Chrome in that respect; Google dropped support for non-SSE2 quite a while back. And that started with version 34, back in mid-2014..... :rolleyes:

I guess you're right. You can almost guarantee that FF52 ESR will require SSE2s; I'm not a fan of FF, as y'all may have gathered by now (!).....but I do keep up with the blogs'n'stuff on a somewhat irregular basis.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 25 January 2017 - 04:03 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:22 AM

Thanks for the "heads up" Madman.

I have linked to this Topic from mine on Multibooting.

Tragic if we can't have 64-bit Manjaros. :mellow:

:wizardball: Wizard

#10 DodoIso

DodoIso

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:12 AM

Due to the decreasing popularity of i686 among the developers

To me, that is a lack of vision.  I can understand that the maintainers are fed-up testing several architectures.  If the source code were easily available (I mean, REALLY EASILY), and the source code well written, it wouldn't mater if the target is 32-bit or 64-bit.  To simplify development, ok, just test 64-bit.  But if a user happen to report a 32-bit issue, considering that 64-bit CPUs can run both 32-bit and 64-bit instructions, just fix it.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,001 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:46 AM

Google dropped support for non-SSE2 quite a while back.

Mike, and they also dropped support for 32 bit Linux, although there are other choices, Vivaldi being one of the better ones, there's also Flash Peak Slimjet that has an inbuilt adblocker. :)

It's a sign of the times, in fact was surprised that Ubuntu 16.04 released 32 bit LTS, this time I feel will surely be the last one, as that gave existing 32 bit users 5 more years to get 'in tune with the times', to build or upgrade to a new(er) 64 bit computer. There's many computers that were released when Windows 7 was new for $100-125, and less than that for late Vista, though many of these are still on DDR2 RAM, now two generations behind. That part is OK for now, if it'll hold a total of 8GB, that's plenty for many users. :)

Still it wouldn't hurt to save for a computer with at least DDR3 RAM & with a CPU that has modern instructions. By that, I mean most any since Windows 7 was released (other than low cost netbooks). There's also no shortage of former corporate computers that's 5-7 years old & many has a TPM security module that can be used with Linux as well as Windows, just requires a bit more work to activate. 

As far as 32 bit OS's goes, the devs are going in the red supporting these, most distros likely has a small team to work on these builds. I just don't see mainstream distros supporting 32 bit hardware much longer, and the same applies on the Windows side. Come another year or so, those still on 32 bit hardware will be dropped as though hot coals. Even most smartphones are 64 bit. 

The good thing is that we won't have to worry about 64 bit going anywhere within our lifetimes, it was created to be future proof, while 32 bit is fading faster than 64 bit is rising at this time. All good things must come to an end, and while 32 bit computing once served a good purpose, it's mission is almost complete, as far as mainstream OS's goes. Puppy will run on these for as long as they're runnable, eventually even they'll have to go 64 bit, because there won't be enough 32 bit hardware left to support the project. :)

While some 32 bit components, such as CPU's & RAM  for these are low in cost, items such as working motherboards aren't. So it's not always low cost to upgrade an existing 32 bit computer. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,795 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

Well some good news, arch multilib isnt going anywhere so those packages in multilib such as emulators and wine are going to be preserved.

Steam will probably be okay too, for now

https://www.archlinux.org/news/phasing-out-i686-support/

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

@Cat:-

That's exactly what I meant. Don't take this the wrong way (this is NOT a 'personal attack'), but you're a prime example of those who insist that 'everybody should move to 64-bit ASAP', wouldn't you agree? Many of your posts do make that very point.....

Don't think that I don't know where you're coming from (I very definitely do!), but.....some folks simply don't have that choice. It's obvious that you enjoy your hobby, and you like to move with the times, & have the newest, the best, and the most powerful.....nowt wrong wi' that at all. More power to you, I say. Just spare a thought for those who aren't in such a fortunate position, that's all I'm saying. Those who can afford to fund their hobby (by whatever means), sometimes get 'blinkered', and can't always see things from t'other side of t'fence..!

As you often say, we can only advise. BTW, the 32-bit release of 16.04 surprised me, too.....and I don't even use Ubuntu..!  :P

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 26 January 2017 - 07:43 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

Thank god ( Barry ) for puppy, I agree why should a person be forced to spend money on a new machine and not everybody can,

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

Thank god ( Barry ) for puppy, I agree why should a person be forced to spend money on a new machine and not everybody can,

^^ +1!!  :lol:  :lol:

Ah, don't get me wrong here, Nick. There is nothing I would like better than to start with a clean sheet (money no object), and build myself, from the ground up, a top-end rig that would absolutely monster whatever task it was set...

Unfortunately, I have to live in the real world, and work within the constraints of my (admittedly limited) budget. I don't see the situation changing anytime soon... (*shakes head in exasperation*)

I was fortunate with the main rig that, having 'rescued' it from an ignominious trip to the tip, I realised that it was a top-end machine for its time.....and although equipped with a 'basic' specification, capable of considerable upgrading. So with careful purchasing of second-hand parts off eBay & Amazon, and replacing various items new, I've ended up with a system that not only does my chosen OS like, but with which it also works very well. Yah, I know 3GB RAM is miniscule by today's standards.....but I can do stuff with that, using Puppy, that many modern Windows installs with 3 or 4 times the specs would struggle with. I'm very happy with the results.....and it's all thanks to an amazing group of folks (Barry mainly, but also the current Woof-CE team).

As for the old Dell; I can't do much about the Socket 478 architecture. I've upgraded the CPU & RAM as far as I can in practical terms, and the SSD has worked wonders for load times. So it's slow; so what? 'Stately', I call it (she's an old lady now!).....but I'm not in any hurry these days, and everything still works well, thankfully. And the 'overloads' (and high temps!) with which the 'Netburst' architecture seems to be able to cope never ceases to amaze me..!

I'm certainly no 'green warrior', it's true, but I just don't see the point in adding to the world's landfill problems by junking stuff which, for me at least, still does what I ask of it. Perhaps I'm peculiar..!  :P

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 26 January 2017 - 07:49 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users