Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk read error and slow file transfer between drives

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 marcitron

marcitron

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

Hey, I hope there is someone out there who can put my mind at ease.

The last couple of days I have received the message 'A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart'. And this morning it couldn't find my system drive. i checked the cables and eventually windows started.

All applications seem to be running fine (the occasional freeze but nothing major) but when trying to transfer files it is extremely slow - a rate of about 2mb/s and under. Sometimes it even stops and crashes. This also happens when i am transferring between an external drive and my storage drive.

I ran a check on the external and it is fine. The check on the system and storage doesn't seem to be working or is extremely slow.

What should i do next? Am I doomed? Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

The first thing you need to do is backup any personal data that is not already backed up to your external drive then run a hard drive diagnostic. What is the make and model of the computer?

#3 marcitron

marcitron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:12 AM

It's a custom built machine.

- Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @3.40 GHz

- Samsung SSD 840 system drive

I've been trying to back up my files but it won't be done any time soon at the pace it's going!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

Do you have access to another computer? 

#5 marcitron

marcitron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

Do you have access to another computer? 

Hmm yes I have an old laptop I could probably use

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

If the laptop can connect to the internet download fatdog64 which is a linux based OS that runs from RAM and a DVD or CD. If the laptop has Windows 7 you can burn a DVD or CD by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. If the laptop is XP you can burn an image to disk using Imgburn. Boot the fatdog in the problem computer. 

Here is the iso file to download.   Fatdog64-710.iso

Fatdog copy instructions;

Boot Fatdog to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. On an upgraded computer from 7 or 8 you will see quite a few. Normally your Windows partition will be on sda2 or sda3. Click once on the partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition attach your USB external drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can resize and move the two windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Fatdog. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the sdaX window to the USB external window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. Don't forget your browser bookmarks or email if using a client. Once all your files are copied exit out of Fatdog. You may want to open a few to see if the copy was successful

The reason I am suggesting fatdog is because fatdog runs from RAM and the DVD and because Windows is not running the copy may go faster.

#7 marcitron

marcitron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

Thank you. Just trying to get this laptop to work. Do I need to copy the files on my storage HD too or is this just going to affect the system drive?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

Thank you. Just trying to get this laptop to work. Do I need to copy the files on my storage HD too or is this just going to affect the system drive?

No, you just want to copy the files from the computer that is freezing to an external drive. Does the computer have two hard drivers, a storage drive and the Windows drive? Do you have enough capacity to copy from both the Windows and storage drive to the external?

#9 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

I just skimmed the thread but want to emphasize the point that the system drive is probably in process of failure.  You may have less than 10 minutes of run time to get the data off that drive, if that.  So do not waste time doing anything but getting the most important data off, meaning don't even bother with stuff like game save data, etc...  If you have important family photos, work or school documents, etc... get that stuff off immediately.  I don't like contradicting informed people in the middle of the thread but this is so time sensitive IMO that I wouldn't do this.  If there is critical data on that computer, I'd make a bootable USB drive with Win7 created by Rufus and boot to the USB drive and copy/paste the critical data immediately.  If the data is not critical then you can do whatever.  I just want you to be aware that the appropriate attitude towards this system is that it may fail in minutes, not hours, days or weeks.

#10 marcitron

marcitron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

I just skimmed the thread but want to emphasize the point that the system drive is probably in process of failure.  You may have less than 10 minutes of run time to get the data off that drive, if that.  So do not waste time doing anything but getting the most important data off, meaning don't even bother with stuff like game save data, etc...  If you have important family photos, work or school documents, etc... get that stuff off immediately.  I don't like contradicting informed people in the middle of the thread but this is so time sensitive IMO that I wouldn't do this.  If there is critical data on that computer, I'd make a bootable USB drive with Win7 created by Rufus and boot to the USB drive and copy/paste the critical data immediately.  If the data is not critical then you can do whatever.  I just want you to be aware that the appropriate attitude towards this system is that it may fail in minutes, not hours, days or weeks.

Oh man. How do I create a bootable usb drive with Rufus?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

From your first post I agree with Aaron_Warrior that it is your system drive that is failing. It's my understanding that you have two internal drives, the System drive and a separate storage drive, correct? You can copy from the System Drive to the Storage drive using Fatdog. I am not going to put a time limit on your drive failing though. I would not use a Windows 7 disk as the copying using the command prompt would be difficult for a novice. When you boot a Windows 7 iso all you will get is the option to repair and use a command prompt to copy files. You will not have a simple interface like fatdog. You can use fatdog and Rufus. You can either copy to an external per my instructions or select your sdx storage drive. It's not that difficult.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

I suggested using your other computer because I want you to use your system drive as little as possible. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 January 2017 - 12:55 PM.

#12 marcitron

marcitron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:03 PM

From your first post I agree with Aaron_Warrior that it is your system drive that is failing. It's my understanding that you have two internal drives, the System drive and a separate storage drive, correct? You can copy from the System Drive to the Storage drive using Fatdog. I am not going to put a time limit on your drive failing though. I would not use a Windows 7 disk as the copying using the command prompt would be difficult for a novice. When you boot a Windows 7 iso all you will get is the option to repair and use a command prompt to copy files. You will not have a simple interface like fatdog. You can use fatdog and Rufus. You can either copy to an external per my instructions or select your sdx storage drive. It's not that difficult.

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

I suggested using your other computer because I want you to use your system drive as little as possible. 

Yes that's correct. I downloaded Rufus iso onto a cd but not sure how to boot it. I can't really think straight at the moment, i have a lot of important stuff on there that I need to get off that drive.

Rufus Instructions:

Yes that's correct. I downloaded Fatdog iso onto a cd but not sure how to boot it. I can't really think straight at the moment, i have a lot of important stuff on there that I need to get off that drive.

#13 marcitron

marcitron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

Sorry for that mess of a post. I meant to type that I had burnt fatdog to cd

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

Does fatdog boot in the computer that is freezing?

#15 marcitron

marcitron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

I am looking at a list of files that are on the disc. Do I need to run one of those or restart my machine?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users