Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application Attempting to Open Itself

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 I-Z Bizz

I-Z Bizz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:33 AM

EDIT: I apologize for the error in the title of this thread. It is a file attempting to open itself, not an application.

Hello,

Recently I have been having an issue with a random popup on my home PC. Without any prompted interaction on my behalf, a box will open up to ask me how I would like to open a file. The file type seems to be .msi, but I don't have any further information about what it could possibly be. I've attached a picture of the pop-up to this post.

I haven't interacted with the window so far and it will typically go away within seconds of appearing. Despite running malwarebytes, adwcleaner, mbam anti-rootkit, and performing a system restore, none of these things have had any impact on my recurring problem. I've tried to look through my event viewer for anything that matches the time frame for when this prompt has appeared, but that's been entirely unhelpful too. At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I'd really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

Attached File  img.png   14.16KB   1 downloads

Edited by I-Z Bizz, 25 January 2017 - 08:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:54 AM

Do you have any AV? Are yoou always connected to a network when it pops up? 
ALso if you don't, I'd recommend you use a VPN. 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

Open the Task Manager and see if msiexec.exe shows up in the list of Processes.  If it does disable it.

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

This needs to be run this using an Administrator account.

You will need to open the Command Prompt to run the sfc /scannow.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.  This will open the Command Prompt.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

You will see an image similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key method outlined in the instructions above. 

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click/tap on this to open the log, copy and paste it in your topic.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Edited by dc3, 25 January 2017 - 10:26 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

Is your Windows Installer Service started in services?

Or perhaps you need to fix the .msi file association.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8703-default-file-type-associations-restore-windows-10-a.html

#5 I-Z Bizz

I-Z Bizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:23 PM

No, I don't use any AV. I was told that Windows Defender is reliable on its own. Out of all the AV programs out there, which would you recommend? I'm not aware of whether this pop-up is dependent on an internet connection but I can certainly test it.

As for a VPN, I've never set one up before but I've heard it's pretty easy. I'll check out a tutorial to get myself started.

I ran the System File Checker and Windows Resource Protection returned no integrity violations, so I'm good on that front.

I didn't find msiexec.exe in the process list when I looked. It seems the associated service is disabled unless I start it manually. Is that normal? I went ahead and followed the instructions on the link you provided as well, opera, but I can't definitively say whether or not it worked. The prompt has come up sporadically over the past few days and I'm not sure when I should expect it.

Edited by I-Z Bizz, 25 January 2017 - 01:24 PM.

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

Is the Windows Installer Service started  in Services?

To see this press the Windows Key on your keyboard, (it's the one with the flag on it) at the same time as pressing the 'R' key. This will open the run dialog. Enter services.msc and press ok.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

What version of Windows 10 are you running?  Home, Pro., etc.

If you are running Windows 10 Pro or above do the following.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key together.  This will open the Run box.

When the Run box opens copy and paste Run / gpedit.msc in the box, then press OK.

Locate and expand Computer Configuration, then Administrative Templates, then Windows Components, then File Explorer.

On the right panel, double click on "Do not show the new application installed notification" and set it to [b]Enabled.

The Windows Installer Services should be set as Manual.

In post #3 I requested that you run sfc /scannow, you posted that you ran chkdks, that will not find or repair/replace corrupt files.

Edited by dc3, 25 January 2017 - 03:23 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

I should also add that Windows 10 Defender is a full blown antivirus.  So yes, you do have an antivirus installed.

#9 I-Z Bizz

I-Z Bizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

Fair enough. I honestly wasn't sure if the built-in Windows Defender was considered an AV or not. Thanks for the heads up.

The Windows Installer Service is not currently running, no. I also went into the Local Group Policy Editor to change that setting as you recommended, dc3. My OS is Windows 10 Pro.

I did run the sfc /scannow command in the prompt. When the verification finished, the message I got back was 'Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.' Should I be seeing something different?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

That service isn't running because it is normally set to Manual.  I would suggest leaving it as it is, that is its default setting.

I have figured that you had meant that you had run the sfc /scannow since you had posted that no integrity issues were found as this pertains to sfc.  This narrows down the possibilities of what is going on. 

After you used the GPE did you restart your computer to see if this message was still showing up?

#11 I-Z Bizz

I-Z Bizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, I restarted the system directly after. Been a couple hours since and I haven't had the message come up yet. It's too soon to tell whether or not it'll stay that way. I'll just give it a day and see what happens.

Thanks for taking the time to give me a hand. I'll pop another post in this thread if the message comes up again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users