Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash Drive becomes read-only when plugged in

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 klmn123

klmn123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

I've had this flash drive for a few months but I haven't used it very often. A few days ago when I plugged it in my PC it said it was RAW format and didn't want to show the contents unless I formatted it. So I tried but every time it kept showing 'Windows was unable to complete the format'. I looked it up on Google and found out that it could be write-protected, so I opened diskpart and removed the read-only attribute. After that it worked flawlessly, it could read and write files without any problems. However, after I disconnected it and connected it again the same exact thing happened. I think this only occurs when you disconnect it directly from the USB port without clicking on 'Safely remove' first but I can't be sure because this behaviour isn't consistent. It's really frustrating, though, and I was wondering if anyone knows a solution. Is there a way to forbid it from going in this state? Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

Two suggestions: repeat your procedure of removing the read-only attribute, and then immediately format it.  Many times, when getting a RAW message, the partition is damaged.

And....why not just purchase a new flash drive? They are cheap now, especially if purchasing online from Newegg or Amazon. Not worth the trouble dealing with an undependable drive.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 klmn123

klmn123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:12 AM

Hey, ranchhand_!

Thank you for your reply. That's exactly what I've been doing. I immediately formatted it to FAT32 after removing the read-only attribute. However, I think I had Quick Format checked, do you recommend I do a full format?

I have many other flash drives but was just wondering if there was a way to fix this one.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

When you formatted, did you first remove the existing partition and then reset a new partition encompassing the entire drive, then format it using full format? If yes, then you might try using NTFS instead of FAT32, unless there is a reason you want FAT32. Other than that, I can only guess that the drive itself is faulty.

Edited by ranchhand_, 25 January 2017 - 03:01 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users