Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

locked out due to forgotten bios password

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jamminjodi58

jamminjodi58

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:04 PM

HELP! 

I am locked out due to forgotten BIOS password.  The code given to me, did not work. I even went and bought a "usb keyboard and entered the code, but still says "invalid password"  Before taking my laptop apart, I was hoping to find a solution here.  

I have an  HP Envy m6-w103dx   (x360 convertible) windows 10  64 bit...  Thank You in advance   :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

Try this

• Turn on the laptop. When prompted for the password, guess three times. This will lead to the System Disabled screen. Don’t worry, the system is not actually disabled, it will boot up again when the power is reset.
  • Take note of the displayed number. You will need this to generate the BIOS backdoor password. The series may contain letters as well as numbers.
  • Generate a password. On a working computer, visit this site and enter the code from the laptop. The program will generate a password for you. This may take a few minutes.
    • Some laptops use the serial number of the laptop itself to generate a password. Refer to the table on the More Details section in the above website to see what numbers to input.

How did you go?

#3 jamminjodi58

jamminjodi58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:07 AM

still working on it.  I'm trying to find the "more details"  Ive tried all the codes past week or so.  I'm thinking maybe serial #. do I enter it on my laptop when it asks for password? If so, that didn't work either

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:11 AM

The more details is now incorporated into the front page... there's been a site update since I last looked at it.

If you don't get a displayed code to enter the serial on the site and let it generate the password for you to enter on your laptop.

#5 jamminjodi58

jamminjodi58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:40 AM

he code generated when enering my serial # didnt work either.... I am SOOOOO determined to get this !!!!  

you know the # generated when entering wrong password 3x,  well mine reads a little different, ex: [ i  86874753 ]

It starts with an I then there's about 3 spaces before code... does this make a difference?

#6 jamminjodi58

jamminjodi58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:52 AM

I hope i'm not being a pest...   I tried entering the code from m lap top, WITH the "i and 3 spaces then the actual code, and this is what it generated:

(*mind you, I have an hp, NOT Dell)

Try one of the following codes:      

Dell from hdd serial number (old)

nnnnngnx

Dell from hdd serial number (new)
gkegj67a
m7k43at6
7cCWo4e5ckUk5md2
c50qzxh1
KkqPBCCrqMvM1bho
5X05mBfbVAQ4eUXB
3MXb4MMGEsBfiwzM

#7 jamminjodi58

jamminjodi58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:52 AM

I though this was rather interesting  (maybe this is why I can't seem to find a working code...)   

DOGBERTS Blog:
*Please note that I have chosen not to publish generators for newer models.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:08 AM

Bummer...

I'm all out of ideas.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

If this is a BIOS password and not a HDD password set in BIOS then contact HP and provide proof of purchase. They may be able to provide you with a master password.  

If they cannot provide a master password then possibly recovering the BIOS may work but a word of warning. Doing this may BRICK your computer and render it USELESS. Do this at your own RISK.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

...forgotten BIOS password...

Going forward, please keep in a locked desk drawer a notebook containing all of your passwords, UEFI/BIOS, HD, Administration, User, HD; user names & exact passwords.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 jamminjodi58

jamminjodi58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

RolandJS,  I do keep a list, and the password I set (and I'm 99.5 percent sure I wrote it correctly) is saying invalid. After doing a bios update, my windows logon password,(that I've used forever on ALL MY DEVICES, all work), wouldn't work, and messing around with laptop, I figured how to set bios password... anyway, long story short, everything worked fine, and a few days later when I went on laptop, it said invalid password....  I plan to get a hold of HP...   Thanx for your time, much appreciated!   :D 

#12 jamminjodi58

jamminjodi58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

JohnC_21  You're right,  and I am going to contact HP.  Thanx for replying so quickly!

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

JamminJodi -- it's great that you're keeping a record  :)   I do know things go wrong from time to time, happens with my computers.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:37 PM

...forgotten BIOS password...

Going forward, please keep in a locked desk drawer a notebook containing all of your passwords, UEFI/BIOS, HD, Administration, User, HD; user names & exact passwords.

Failing that, tattoos work really well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users