Windows 7 SP1
For months now I've had a problem with my computer freezing up. It seems that various windows services fail, beginning with my internet. For some reason, it will start with various parts of my network failing. It will either be one of my applications (Skype, Discord, Steam, web browser) or I will notice I'm unable to connect to certain sites. Shortly after, Windows will endlessly load and freeze up. I might be able to navigate it for a few seconds to a few minutes, but eventually, the desktop will go white, I won't be able to see anything but my cursor, and it will display a prompt telling me the application failed to respond and ask me if I want to end the process. If I manage to repeatedly press the enter key or try to click "end now" then I will regain my desktop background and any windows I already had open. However, once this happens I cannot do any navigation whatsoever and my only option is to forcibly power down and reboot. What makes this even weirder is that any programs that managed to survive will continue to stay open, but most will lose any internet connection. Oddly enough, my ragnarok online applications I keep running in the background stay completely connected, and I can even continue to play the game and chat in it despite nothing else left open in windows seeming to work or connect to the internet.
I have noticed one trend with this issue: The chance of it occurring greatly increases the longer my PC is left on, and has creeped up to happening sooner. It started out happening after a week duration consistently, then about every 48 hours, and now it can happen any time between 24-36 hours of being on. I started shutting down my PC before the 48 hour mark in the past, but now the issue has caught up since a couple weeks ago somehow.
Some other issues I think might be related:
1) This issue first started in early September, and a week before that, some Windows updates failed to install properly. I cannot remember which, as I have since done multiple system restores and a repair install which also did not fix the problem.
2) Once, in the same week this issue first occurred, svchost.exe was caught using a ridiculous amount of cpu, and lead to my PC hanging. This has not since happened again.
3) On another boot a couple months ago, countless instances of java.exe were caught running and kept increasing. This has not since happened after a reboot and uninstalling all versions of java.
4) Sometimes my PC boots with no network, and will have very laggy internet if I manually activate it until I do a network-successful reboot.
5) Today, a few hours before the issue occurred, I noticed the process "Update.exe" make windows load for a few seconds. I had been keeping open task manager just to see if I could track anything happening it when the issue happened next. Something else worth mentioning I've realized. After some updates, svchost.exe (and this time wmiprvse.exe) seem to use more CPU than usual, and for hours. Today I updated internet explorer and my PC is a little more sluggish, and I notice these two processes sometimes shooting up in demands. primarily wmiprvse.exe. Normally this clears up (once updates finish, I suppose?) but it can take hours and hours. I don't even know if my PC can stay on long enough to do it this time. I also, again, saw update.exe flash for a few seconds in the resource monitor and cause my entire system to load a bit.
I also haven't had wmiprvse appear to be a problem until today, after updating IE. When I stream video during this higher cpu usage time the audio pops (this does not always happen and seems to have fixed on reboot) and some system sounds seem delayed (this first happened today) and opening applications takes longer. System restore to yesterday fixed this particular issue, so I guess it was IE11 today.
I have ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk.
I have scanned with just about every anti-malware under the sun, and am no longer finding any threats. Combofix found an infection (c:\windows\SysWow64\drivers\ntfs.sys . . . is infected!!) around September (no idea how that happened with my habits, really) and cleared it up. Nothing has since been found. Adwcleaner also found some minor issues which were also seemingly cleared up. Malwarebytes, avast, trend micro housecall, microsoft safety scanner, rkill, tdsskiller, and some others I cannot recall did not seem to find anything of significance other than a couple false-positives. Also, when the issue started happening prior to 48 hours of uptime, a couple days beforehand some malware was allegedly blocked by Avast from a link I clicked against my better judgment amongst other safe links in a chat. Nothing was found in any supplemental scans.
I'm totally out of ideas here other than thinking it might be some kind of weird hardware issue that I can't really pinpoint on my own. My PC is old, so I think it might just be time to replace it soon, however this issue is really bothering me and I want to make sure it doesn't happen on a new system as well.
Edited by RareLiving, 25 January 2017 - 03:41 PM.