Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD My Passport 071A External Hard Drive is no longer accessible

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

Hi,

I have a Western Digital My Passport 071A External Hard Drive this is no longer accessible.

It was previously working for an Acer Laptop - Aspire M5-481T that I have with Windows 7 Home Premium.

However, I was trying to use it on a Windows 10 Home HP Pavillion Laptop - HP Pavilion - 15-au147cl 

here is a link for the specs. on it http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05349045

and I was unable to use Windows Explorer in Windows 10 to view the files after it took an extremely long time to assign a letter to the drive. It gives the message "F:\ The directory name is invalid."

I tried downloading the latest drivers using Device Manager from Windows 10 and it said that I have the most current

driver. 

In Device Manager I did notice that the drive is not formatted because under format it just says "RAW".

Also, the Western Digital App Manager Launcher is listed as enabled in the startup tab of Task Manager.

So since it wasn't working on the Windows 10 machine, I decided to try connecting it to the Win. 7 machine.

Now I get the message after a while,

"Location is not available

E:\ is not accessible.

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

"Microsoft Windows

You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it.

Do you want to format it?"

I have formatted usb drives before and I know that it erases all of the data on the drive. 

My question is, is there a way for me to access the data so that I can copy it to another location before I format it, if formatting the drive is the only way that I can use it?

Edited by huntsin2, 24 January 2017 - 08:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

A RAW drive is indicative of a corrupted file system and or partition table. 

There is a chance the RAW drive can be read with a live linux disk or use Testdisk for Windows to recover files. After your most important files are recovered you can attempt to write a new partition table. 

Download Testdisk for windows. Do not download the 64bit version even if you have 64bit Windows. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. Start testdisk for windows by double clicking the testdisk exe file. Do a Quick Search according to this guide. When selecting the disk do not use the drive letter listed. Select the sdx listing. For an external drive it could be listed as sdb or sdc.

After the Quick Search highlight any partitions found and press the "P" key, If your files are listed you can select directories and files using the ":" key and the upper case "C" key to copy. The default location the files will be copied to is the unzipped folder of Testdisk. If you find no partitions using Quick Search use Deepr Search will take a long time. After recovering any files we can try and repair the partition table.

#3 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:50 AM

Thank you for the quick response, I will probably try working on it tomorrow afternoon or evening.

#4 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

Hi,

It shows the drive but when I press uppercase "P" it says. 

"Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged."

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

You selected Analyze and then Quick Search? It found a partition but "P" did not show any files, correct? Did you try doing a Deeper Search. You will need to scan the disk with a program like Easeus Data Recovery or Minitools Data Recovery if Testdisk cannot recover any partitions. Both allow about 1 or 2GB of files to be recovered before a key needs to be purchased. 

There is a program on the unzipped folder called PhotoRec but files are recovered in real time so the recovery drive needs to have enough free space for recovery and all files are recovered with generic names with the correct extensions. You would need to rename them accordingly.

#6 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:38 PM

I did the Analyze and then Quick Search.

On the screen that gave me the option to do quick search I had the error "Bad GPT partition invalid signature. Trying to alternate GPT. Bad GPT partition invalid signature."

Then I pressed "P" to list files and it gave me the "Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged."

Ok,

I will try Easeus Data Recovery or Minitools Data Recovery, and post the results.

Edited by huntsin2, 25 January 2017 - 09:41 PM.

#7 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

Alright, so I used EaseUS and was able to see a number of the folders that were on the drive when it was working; and I was able to restore a few things. The way it is displayed most of the files was in a way that would be unhelpful to me though. Basically files were listed that if you put them together would make up one larger intact file, but taken apart they are of no use.

I hadn't done a deep search using Testdisk, so I went back and did that, but that resulted in a dead end; with a similar message as the one from the quick search.

Fortunately, I didn't need to use any of the Windows backups that were stored on there because I didn't see any single Windows backup files.

So, I have a couple follow up questions..

Is the portion of the hard drive that is now bad fixable or is it permanently damaged?

What would be suggested to do from here?

What are the possible things that could have caused the file system to be damaged, unplugging it without using the safely remove hardware icon, or electro static discharge, dropping it, etc.?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

If you do not need any data on the disk then I would do the following.

Download Partition Wizard.

Zero wipe (quick) the drive. After the wipe create a new primary NTFS partition

I would then scan the drive using Seatools for Windows and do the short/long tests.

In the future for backups I would use Macrium ,Aomei , or Easeus Todo Backup and not the Windows 10 native backup tool if that is what you are currently using. Aomei and Easeus, both free, allow file backup. All allow differential or incremental backups.

What are the possible things that could have caused the file system to be damaged, unplugging it without using the safely remove hardware icon, or electro static discharge, dropping it, etc.? 

All of the above. Also I have read that people have lost their external drive partitions on a Windows 10 major update if attached during the update.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 January 2017 - 04:22 PM.

#9 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Ok, thanks.

I will try the above.

Is there a certain time I need to post back before this thread would close, or can the thread be reopened when I am ready to post again?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:33 AM

Threads don't close on BC unless absolutely necessary.

#11 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

Hi,

I Zero wiped the external hard drive; both the empty space and the space that had the files. I'm not sure if I needed to do it for the empty space but I did. So now I have still have disk 2 which is about 18GB (the one that had the files) and disk 3 which is about 931 GB; how do I get it so that it is just one disk so that I can format it?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

I am not sure I understand. Zero wiping your external drive would have removed all partitions. Per Partition Wizard each disk number represents a separate drive. Can you post a screen image of Partition Wizard showing disk 2 and disk 3? I would not do anything with those disks yet.

#13 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

What is the easiest way for me to post a screen shot?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

Use the Snipping tool and left click drag a window around what you what a graphic of. Save the image as a jpg. Click more reply options then attach your jpg file.

#15 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:03 AM

Thanks. The file is attached.Attached File  MiniTool Partition Wiz screen shot.JPG   128.31KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users