Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Touchsmart IQ 700 desktop freezing

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 Dragooness

Dragooness

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

I know very little about computers, so if more information is needed please specify!

I was given this desktop for my birthday, it had been in storage "a while".I was told they had done a few things to it, only thing that I understood was a terrabyte harddrive. I was told it may need whiped and a new OS. I get it home, it boots fine. It runs normally for a bit, then freezes. I restart it and it dose it again. I re started it a second time and brought up task manager prossesses before it freezes. The CPU was at 0,and the prosseses never changed. I walked away and left it running. Now the mouse moves, and it gives you a cute little loading animation.

Now as I understand, the 700 series was never suported on windows seven, could that be the cause? If so, how would I go about a new OS?I would prefer XP I think, but I realize you people know much better than I do.

Thank you for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:02 PM

Win 7 is supported, see http://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-touchsmart-iq700-desktop-pc-series/3351217 ..

How long is "a while"...who is "they"...what was done to it by "them" and why?

Louis

#3 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

Fred Langa: Win7’s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall

#4 Dragooness

Dragooness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:22 PM

Hamluis, I honestly dont know how long it was stored. probally no more than a year. They could have been her husband, but more likely they had some kind of computer shop. Its good to know it is suported!

Spyware doc thanks, ill take a look at that. I'll have to make an account to see the article. Will I need new drivers after such an install? I sadly only have a phone for internet access.

Thank you so much for the promt replies!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

Before I consider an install of Windows...I would run a hard drive diagnostic to assure myself that the install attempt is worth the time/energy.

Louis

#6 Dragooness

Dragooness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:23 PM

A hard drive diagnostic? Is that some system function, or would it be something I would have to run to the library and put on a flash drive? It's still frozen hours later, I will try another reboot and run disk cleanup and defrag. Better than nothing.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,605 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:45 PM

Open Device Manager. Right Click Computer > Manage > Device Manager in the left pane. Look under your hard drive for a model number.

Seagate for Windows is for Seagate Drives   SeaTools for Windows Guide

WD data lifeguard is for WD drives

If you have anything else use Seagate for Windows. Run the short and long tests offered. Do not do any other options other than short or long tests.

Note: HP has it's own memory and hard drive diagnostics available by tapping Esc at boot. Select Diagnostics. Tapping F2 at boot should take you directly to diagnostics.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 January 2017 - 10:48 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:31 AM

I think that you wil need the DOS versions of the utilities John mentioned above...if the system isn't allowing you to install any programs.  The DOS versions are not dependent on installation as a program and diagnostic can be performed whether Windows is running properly or not..

Data Lifeguard For DOS - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=2&lang=en

SeaTools for DOS Seagate - http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

#9 Dragooness

Dragooness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:30 AM

In device manager, I didn't see an option for hard-drive? I'll look again, maybe I missed it. I ran windows memory diagnostics tool.It detected nothing, of course. I changed the settings for the extended test and walked away, I'll go back to it later. I saw no hard drive tool option, but I'll have another look.

The system itself boots up fine. It freezes a few minutes after it loads up, it may can do a quick install? I'll get the DOS too of I get near the library today.

Could this be dust from storage? Or a disconnected something from moving it? Thanks for being patient!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,605 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

Can you get to diagnostics by tapping Esc at boot? this would allow you to test your hard disk as well as memory. Your Hard Drive is under Disk Drives in device manager.

#11 Dragooness

Dragooness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:26 AM

The esc at boot sends me to the erm.. boot order menu? But I pressed F2 after work that and it gave me two options Windows 7, and memory diagnostics. If look around some more, but I've seen no hard drive diagnostics option.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,605 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

Another option is to download the bootable CD or USB of HP vision diagnostics here. You need to do this on another computer if it cannot be done on yours.

If you decide not to use the HP diagnostics then you can try the following. 

There is a bootable disk you can burn called UBCD that includes a program that will detect and test your hard drive called UBCD. It also includes both Seatools for DOS and Data Lifeguard under the HDD/diagnostics menu. Do you have access to a computer that can burn a CD disk? You can burn a CD on a Windows 7 and later computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image.

If either the WD or Seatools diagnostic does not detect your hard drive at the menu screen is a listing called Parted Magic. Select it and when at the Parted Magic Desktop select Disk Health. Run the short and long tests. 

Insert the UBCD and tap Esc at boot to select your bootable device. You may need to select Legacy Boot as the UBCD will not boot if the computer has UEFI and not a legacy BIOS.

Usually on any HP computer Esc will give you a menu and F9 is the boot menu but this a very unusual computer from what I can tell by looking at the support site.

#13 Dragooness

Dragooness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:33 AM

I do not know if the library has burning capabilities. The only device I have that dose is a old windows seven virus eaten laptop. I imagine that would be dangerous to use?

Can you burn it onto a DVD rather than a CD? Through some fluke, DVDs are much cheaper here!

It's an odd computer, and it seems like it was optimized for vista? By boot menu it gives me two options to boot from, the CD drive and what I assume is the hard drive.

If the problem is the hard drive, what are the fixes? Is it as simple as dust, or a component not seated right, or is it software?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,605 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

Yes, a DVD is fine. If you do use your laptop then only use a DVD and not a USB. Connect the laptop directly to the internet, not to your network if you have one. Download the iso and burn it to a DVD. If the hard drive fails the diagnostic then you will need to replace it. See this guide

Note: If the Windows 7 laptop is a HP and the recovery partition is intact you can do a factory reset by tapping F11 at boot. You can burn your personal data to a DVD before doing the factory reset but any programs you have would need to be reinstalled. What is the make and model of the Windows 7 laptop.

#15 Dragooness

Dragooness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

Even if it's a new hard drive? Huh, learn something new every day.

The laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6. It's been recovered before, but it eventually developed the same problem yet again. It is of no use as a portable computer, as the LCD is dysfunctional. I got frustrated with having to reinstall everything every few months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users