Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"PC did not start correctly"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 patricko911

patricko911

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

Case priority: Very low.

I do have an issue with my laptop, but I'm looking to format it soon. Just very very curious to find out what the issue is. Maybe I won't have to format.

Warning: I have a tendency to be too brief. Only read if you have some spare time on your hands.

Hello! My name is Patrick. This is my post on this (and any other) forum!

I have an issue with my laptop!

It doesn't start correctly!

I have to disable Driver Signature Enforcement if I want to boot into windows :(

Here's a few details from the scene of the crime:

* One lovely night (not so lovely anymore), I decide to connect my new bluetooth headphones and listen to some videos designed to help people sleep. 

* Everything was swell until I fell asleep with my laptop still on (I was on youtube and the autoplay feature was on). This didn't really help my data consumption, LOL.

* I woke up late at night and shut my laptop down. I started counting the seconds it took to shut down (I'm really jobless, even while I'm sleeping).

It took my laptop well over 40 seconds to shut down. I did not look at the screen before I shut down, only that youtube had stopped playing.

* After I realized my laptop took way beyond the average time to shut down, I reopened the screen and saw that the screen was off, but I could still hear the fan on.. and the blue light indicator that the laptop is in fact, ON.

* FInally, as I was investigating, I accidentally turned it back on right as it completely turned off. Bummer, I said to myself. Now I had to wait another minute to shut it down and go back to sleep.

* Unfortunately, It wasn't that easy. Starting up took even longer. Then it went a little something like this: 

Preparing Automatic Repair.

Diagnosing Pc.

Automatic Repair

Your PC did not start correctly

Press "Restart" to restart your PC which can sometimes fix the problem. You can also press "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC.

[Restart] / [Advanced Options]

The day after the CRIME:

I spent an entire morning and afternoon searching for a fix. All i found were endless instructions of Reinstalling windows and Resetting my PC.

Until I stumbled upon the "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" button. 

That button was the army coming to rescue me.

BUT WAIT.

I need to use it every time I need to boot into freaking windows 10!!

What I tried:

Everything.

I tried start up repair, and nearly every button in the troubleshoot options. 

That's all you tried.. Patrick?

Lol.. no. .. well.. I did read thousands of articles.. including this: 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/397083/windows-wont-load-have-to-use-disable-driver-signature-enforcement/

Unfortunately, I didn't want to try all the steps in it because I'm sure I don't have a malware (I have bitdefender '17).

Hmmm.. a bad driver? 

Could be those headphones, eh? 

Well I connected them and uninstalled their driver. Still the same problem. I tried scanning my drivers and bla bla.. No free fixing softwares. ARGHH.

Thanks for joining me on this conquest. I hope we can resolve this issue together. Also, Thanks for reading. I just like remembering the day it all happened lol.

NOTE: forgot.

more notes: i have windows 10. Acer Aspire E 15. 

intel core i5-6200 u 2.3 ghz bla bla bla

6GB ddrblablabalb

Even more notes: Like i said, I can boot into windows when I disable driver signature enforcement. But for how long.

OH_ I remembered!!

This happened to me before a few weeks earlier. I downloaded a virus and after I used malware bites to remove it, my pc did not start correctly after i restarted. I suspected the virus had like a kind of suicide plan designed to destroy a pc if antiviruses played a role.

I had to reset ( not a complete wipe ) (the keep my files one_IF ONLY IT KEPT EVERYTHING).

It solved the problem. I reinstalled my drivers and everything.

The next day, i downloaded another virus. lol. After that, i decided i needed an antivirus, So i bought one.

That is all. THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

While BitDefender is a good product, you've admitted to downloading virus'

Also, the virus makers are very sneaky, and have multiple ways to fool you to get on your system and to hide once they are on it.

Also, viruses can cause damage to the operating system that remains after the virus is removed

I would first suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 patricko911

patricko911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:23 AM

I reset my pc twice after i downloaded the trojans. One reset for each virus. I don't think it's a matter of a current virus in the system. Though, after the resets, the system claimed to "resintall" windows 10, but my laptop did come with linux. Not sure how it can reinstall an operating system that didn't come with it on it's own (at least a new and undamaged one). I changed my mind about wanting to format my laptop. I have come so far with it, is there any possible reason windows can only boot once i disable driver signature enforcement?

If there is a bad driver, how can i know which one? (If this is the case) 

If It's mandatory that I post in the Am i infected forum first, please tell me what exactly I should ask of them

Thanks!

#4 patricko911

patricko911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:22 AM

Wow! I fixed it. I will post the steps I took and explain what was going on in a few minutes

#5 patricko911

patricko911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:54 AM

I followed the instructions to see what is causing the problem.

4l1xjl.png

There were several 'errors'. However, during the day after this all began (about two weeks ago), I downloaded an app that checked what had happened to my system and it showed a few things. Fixing it was not free however. So i uninstalled the good for nothing application.

One of the things It said had stopped working (at the corresponding time interval when I shut down my laptop and got this error ever since) was the BitDefender Agent.

The instructions I followed in the website I visited (which is the first link I attached) showed the errors from drivers and whatever else wasn't working. Most were the Bitdefender file (shown in the screenshot).

From the frustration, I wanted to uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender (It worked fine the first week).

Note, I didnt follow all the instructions in the website on how to update the drivers that were "unsigned". I proceeded to uninstalling right as I saw so those errors.

As I went into control panel and clicked the uninstall button for Bitdefender, It asked me if i wanted to Fix any crashes or issues I'm having, or uninstall.

Ofcourse, i chose the fix button lol.

rjnno3.png

It started fixing whatever it was fixing, and asked me to restart to finalize the process. I knew if i restarted, I'd get that error again saying my Pc did not start correctly, and I'd have to disbale driver signature enforcement again (This is what happens when you lose hope).

HOWEVER, It restarted like a brand new PC!!! xD All is fixed. 

I hope this helps anyone having the same problem (unlikely. My mistakes are a one of a kind).

I doubt it's an error from Bitdefender itself- My operating system is a bit loose... I use a windows activator because my pc came with linux [Please, refrain from downloading activators. 90% of them contain a virus/are a virus] (there are tons of generated activation codes for windows 10 out there. Find em & use em if u lack the funds to purchase a legit one). 

And ofcourse, the previous virus encounters I had might have chewed through a few log or batch files (believe me, I dont know what those are),

So that is my story.

If you also have to disable driver signature enforcement to boot into windows, you might want to check the website i attached at the start of this reply. I believe it had some reasonable information in it. Though, ask around before you start editing stuff.

Edited by patricko911, 27 January 2017 - 05:57 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

Nice work and thanks for the link.  I learned a lot from it!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users