Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Call Spoofing. (Identifying)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

Hello BC, would anyone like to help me find out who is spoofing my number, I've gotten 6. SIX calls from people out of state asking if i had called them, I've been at work for 2 hours.

and have gotten 6 calls.  if anyone would like to help find out who it is and bring them to justice, let me know. 

Not that i don't appreciate the Word of mouth, but it is wasting my time explaining the same thing over and over again.

I'd like to know: how they got the number, why, and how long. 

(MOD: Feel free to move it to correct forum if posted in the wrong one.)

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

I hope you realize that any phone number can be used to spoof a call.

https://www.google.com/#newwindow=1&q=send+spoofed+telephone+call

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

And i hope you realize im an IT Auditor and i know this. please do not assume i am dumb. thank you. good day.

I am not looking for a Phone number.

Edited by Viper_Security, 24 January 2017 - 05:58 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

This is just phishing initially.  The perp spoofs any phone number to insert into the caller ID section of his phishing calls.  Basically looking for active numbers.  I get 4 or 5 a day, rings the number until the voicemail picks up and they never leave a message.

#5 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

I have found who it is. the Dumbass put the number into a robotcaller. what an idiot. i found them and they have been arrested for fraud under the FCC's "truth in calling Act". :)

hQBT2G3.png

#6 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

Nice job. :)

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:24 PM

LOL good work mate, we have issues in Australia with our biggest telco Telstra.

They off shored all the work to india and them employees in india have been selling everyone's records to cyber crims.

Next thing people knew was there cell phones stopped working because they had all the info they needed to redirect the number to a new sim, reset the bank account by using the sim and you can see what happens next.

Their accounts get dried up.

Its been a big scam happening and its only happening to Telstra customers, they deny it (Even though a news paper here had proof) but anyone who knows anything about telstra and indian employees knows they have been doing this for years (Why i refuse to use them).

Like i said, its happening and some times it happened more thean 3 times to one bloke who now has left telstra, anyoen reading this who is with telstra should be leaving straight away because thats why they are moving their operations to Thailand and the Philippines because they cannot trust the Pakistanis and Indians any more.

True story ;)

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

Nice Input JohnnyJammer! Definitely note worthy!

i had to watch internet traffic for a few days but as soon as i saw the IP pop up, the MAC came next (to prove the owner owned it) and after that, shodan, and nmap along with maltego (with plugins) found out the rest of the info, including address, phone number, social media even. 

All this kid did was put our work number into a robocaller loglist FROM HIS OWN IP!!(LOL) it took 3 days but he was arrested for fraud, the truth in calling act, and 2 other charges i can not remember. 

But like i said, all said person did was put the number into the box, that's it. and it got him arrested. 

Edited by Viper_Security, 31 January 2017 - 06:40 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#9 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:15 AM

@johnnyjammer not only Australian phone companies call centres that have sold details, a big company in the Uk has call centres in India they to sold phone numbers and details to scammers who would then try the old you have a virus on your computer trick phone call. I suspect it will keep happening as the call centres are in theses places to exploit the local people because they can pay them peanuts. It amazes me that huge companies have these centres and get away with it half the people are not understandable and i have been told on a few occasions ringing for an elderly friend that I know more than them. One even told me of his hacking exploits pretty appalling and I reckon 1000s have complained over here about said uk company as they keep winning most complained about company and everyone complains about the call centre it's useless I never blamed the people in them I blame the company A for not being paying them a decent wage and B for not training them properly for that will breed crime in my eyes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users