Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking I5-2500k for streaming

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

Hi all, I am looking to stream on Twitch.tv, but I'm experiencing pixelation on my stream @720p 

My computer has 8gb ddr3 ram, I5-2500k and a GTX770 Graphics card. 

I can play the game on max settings with a consistent 60fps (plus streaming/encoding) although I usually play on high settings for 75-90fps stable.

For those that know about streaming, I'm using OBS as my streaming software, have my bitrate set to 3500 (not partnered) I play at 1080p but downscale to 720p for twitch and have my CPU set at the "very fast" preset, I have my video output on 30fps which is standard for someone who is not partnered on twitch.

For those that do not stream or use OBS/Twitch, the problem I have, is that Twitch set limits on non partnered accounts which means the max suggested bitrate for me should be 2500 (i set it to 3500 and it's stable on very poor internet connections + improves the pixelation problem massively) 

This means that my downscale and my bitrate are set at the max it should be on for an unpartnered user, BUT the game I play H1Z1 is very CPU intensive, so to allow me to stream without such poor quality I need to be able to use a slower CPU preset to allow it to do more work, for this I need to overclock. 

I am not experienced in overclocking, and before I try anything would like to get advice from those who are, 

I know how to overclock in bios, but the voltages is the bit that scares me, as I do NOT want to get that wrong. My processor is considered a great overclocker and can often outperform newer cpus in this respect. 

It's base clock is set to 3.3ghz but there are many people who have been able to overclock the i5-2500k to 5ghz with it being stable! I do not intend on going that far, I want to see what the stream would be like if I overclocked to 4.5ghz which people seem to have great success with online, I will do this gradually but first I need to understand what it is im doing and what each change does before I go diving in, I'd rather avoid upgrading my CPU just yet until I can make some income from streaming and build an audience, because the I5-2500k does everything I need except stream to the quality i'd need to build an audience as the game I play is quite fast paced. 

I've run a test stream for you to see what I mean by "pixelation" and why I need to overclock to try and limit this problem (

During this stream test, I had sound muted, but I was playing music in the background also, my cpu was at 100% and hit a max temp of 63 degrees (I have an evo 212 cooler and keep it all dust free, I will be investing in watercooling in the future should I need it) 

Any advice on overclocking this perticular cpu would be massively appreciated!

Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Knowlesy

Knowlesy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

I did post a link to the stream, but BP has blocked it out, if you want to see it, go to twitch .tv/saltmajor and click "videos" at the top.

#3 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:58 PM

This worked for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users