Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is "opensource 1.0.14960.3876" a system program?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 steveworld

steveworld

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

Got a Win 7 device deployed and I see it has this listed as installed. I've seen it in a few logs posted on the forums here but nothing about what it actually is. A Google search has been rather fruitless as well. Any helpers out there able to clear this up for me so I know if action needs to be taken?

opensource Your Company Name 1.0.14960.3876

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Louis

#3 steveworld

steveworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

Hi there, and thanks for replying.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding here, but I'm not looking for an uninstall guide or a hijack this thread. Just looking for feedback on if anyone knows what this particular listing is. There are no issues on the end user side of things.

Apologies if I'm doing this wrong, as it seemed within the BC forum allowances and such, but I'm happy to revise/remove (if allowed) if that's the right course of action.

Thanks.

#4 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

Got a Win 7 device deployed and I see it has this listed as installed. I've seen it in a few logs posted on the forums here but nothing about what it actually is. A Google search has been rather fruitless as well. Any helpers out there able to clear this up for me so I know if action needs to be taken?

opensource Your Company Name 1.0.14960.3876

What's the "win7 device"?  Is it a HP desktop?  Laptop?  One google hit I say also references "HP theft prevention", so it might be some oddball software from HP.

Installed where?  Add/Remove programs?  Or in the registry somewhere? Temporary Files?  How do you know it is actually, formally "installed".

chances are 99% it's not Windows, and 90% that it's useless, and 50% that it's malware.  Another google search references Glary Utilities.  Are you running regcleaners and other utility type software that the average user would never have on their computers?  A lot of these utilities are not very well documented, even though they are perfectly legit.  I mention this because usually the absence of any kind of documentation is an indicator of malware.  So if you are a computer fixer person, it would be a good idea to think about your utilities as the source of the file, otherwise it's probably malware.

#5 steveworld

steveworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:23 PM

It's an HP ProBook 450 G2 and the report is a system profile pulled by my network management software. I've got antivirus and Malwarebytes deployed but nothing interesting like regeditors or such.

Your post about it possibly being HP something-or-rather triggered my curiosity. I tracked down another HP, fresh deployment, and the opensource lists there too, so it must be something HP is baking into their Windows 7 64-bit downgrades that I just hadn't seen before.

Thanks for the follow up questions and for helping me find an answer, I really appreciate it! 

#6 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:45 AM

It's an HP ProBook 450 G2 and the report is a system profile pulled by my network management software. I've got antivirus and Malwarebytes deployed but nothing interesting like regeditors or such.

Your post about it possibly being HP something-or-rather triggered my curiosity. I tracked down another HP, fresh deployment, and the opensource lists there too, so it must be something HP is baking into their Windows 7 64-bit downgrades that I just hadn't seen before.

Thanks for the follow up questions and for helping me find an answer, I really appreciate it! 

Okay so I assume you are fully remote computing over a network.  Are you doing installs from a "one-size-fits-all" disk?  Custom created with tweaks, something that nLite or vLite creates, or are you using HP Corporate Disks?  I'm wondering if in your corporate environment, this software might be something that configures multiple laptops to your specific company's needs.  Not nLite, but like nLite.  Something that only industry insiders would use, and be aware of, hence no documentation searchable by Google.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users